Went to a new to me range

This is a discussion on Went to a new to me range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to a new to me range the other day. Its only maybe a mile and a half up the road instead of the 6 ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Went to a new to me range

Went to a new to me range the other day. Its only maybe a mile and a half up the road instead of the 6 miles i drive to the one where i bought my carry weapon. Website talked about all the cool stuff they have going on. Ladies day, where i could take the wife, a lounge for if you need to rest in between mags, etc. With free coffee and hot cocoa. Fees looked comparable to the other one, and so did class costs. Was talked to by one of the RSOs, and then we got into discussing me looking at possibly getting a gun for the wife. That's where things went down hill. I decided this giy is an idiot, and i won't be going back. Now, i don't make trips to the range as often as i would like to, but then again, i doubt most of us do. But, despite the fact that this range is a 5 minute drive vs a 20 minute drive through traffic, im thinking this guy as well as a couple other things, has cost them my business.

Reasoning:
    1. He was adamant that a .22 hmr is enough for carry and dismissed the 380 as too weak for self defense. I explained to him that the wife had had shoulder replacement surgery on her non dominant side, and i was interested in a pistol for her. Explained i was looking for a 38, or perhaps a 380, and that this was for her to have easy access to a weapon when she's in the side of the house where the weapons aren't stored. My weapon is too heavy for her, but i can't and don't expect her to carry the 6" colt .38 around the house, even though she is comfortable with it.

2. Range ammo and his opinions of it. Box prices: 9mm $13.99, .40 s&w $23.99, .45 auto $24.99. Now i don't mind paying an extra buck or 3 because i use a .40, if i decide i need another box. But a $10 difference? That's just plain silly. I asked why the price difference, and got that .40 was dead, they can't sell it. My thought was do you think maybe it has to do with the prices you want? At the other range .40 was $17.99. He even had me doubting my choice of weapon with that statement until i did some reading.

Thought it was kind of ironic, and wanted to share. I figured if somebody worked at a range/gun store they'd at least be knowledgeable. Guess i was wrong there.

Forgot to add. The gun section at the store on base frustrated the snot out of me today. Went on base for gas, figured I'd stop by the store and check ammo prices, maybe even pick up a box or 3. Gun counter was closed. Only open Tuesday though Saturday 10 am to 6 pm. Asked if i could get some help, and got told they dont even have the keys, even after i explained that the hours posted were when i work. Guess they want me to take time off just to be able to visit the gun section. Idiot policy, and i think next time i happen to need.to go there I'll have to have a few words with the manager.
    CG11 and gwalker like this.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

Sounds like a good idea to talk to the manager. It would be a shame not to visit a range only a stones throw from your home.

Kinda have a similar issue. There is an RSO that I absolutely can't deal with at my local range. I know that he works Wed and Fri from 11-3. So I do not go at those times.
    I did talk to mgt. about him. They said they would part with him if they could get a qualified replacement. No other RSOs will work with him either. He is qualified on paper but his persona is the issue.
    Clinging to my Guns and Bible

Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    Article I, Section 21, "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned"

Life member SAF and CCRKBA

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    Sounds like you had a disagreement with an employee's opinions, not the business itself. I just assume most businesses have employees that see things differently then I do. Especially over caliber and pistol selection.

Your dollars spend then where and how you please. Unless that RSO was the owner/manager though, I wouldn't really take anything he said with any more importance than the kid at the grocery store who loads my bags telling me he prefers Pepsi over Coke.
    gwalker and Libertywheel like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I would spend time in the store to find out about the rest of the employees are like and their knowledge. Donít give up after one person.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

I realized a long time ago that there are some places that draw goofballs like flies.. The gun range, gun store and hot rod shop, performance audio are some of those places. There are certainly some squared away people ( probably the majority) but goofballs seem to flock to be employed in those kinds of venues. I always seem to find "that guy" every time I visit one of these kinds of places. I don't necessarily give up on the place but I matter-of-factly ask to speak to someone else when I encounter one. I can usually find one by saying "clip" rather than mag and they will suddenly rappel down from the roof onto whatever isle I am on to politely correct my use of the word "clip". LOL
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Wow! Got yourself a lulu, there, Workaholic. It does seem that certain individuals are so caught up in their opinions that they cannot see facts. If you can find a way to turn him back on himself, you might end up enjoying the range, it being closer and all. Perhaps a conversation with the owner would be productive on the pricing of .40. He might even be grateful for someone to put up with the errant RSO.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Many people that work for gun shops are lowly paid employees. Just like a restaurant.
    Owners fault I think, not gathering the troops, talking to their staff, making sure all are on the same page.
    Observing, listening to employee respones might be micro managing but it is his name on the sign out front.

Does this look like the face of a customer who takes store employees' comments seriously?
    Name:  1b.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  10.1 KB
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array BlackhawkGirl's Avatar
    I would let the manager or owner know your feelings. Chances are, they would be interested in customer feedback and want to keep your business.
    Mark40 likes this.
    Everything I needed to know in life was captured in one Indiana Jones minute:

https://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs

I bet I know where you are talking about. "Experts" are many times defined as such only in their own minds. There are four other ranges in your city. Might try one of the others.
    gwalker likes this.
    ďI wonít be wronged, I wonít be insulted, and I wonít be laid a hand on. I donít do these things to other people and I require the same from them.Ē John Wayne - The Shootist

"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." Seneca

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
    Reasoning:
    1. He was adamant that a .22 hmr is enough for carry and dismissed the 380 as too weak for self defense. I explained to him that the wife had had shoulder replacement surgery on her non dominant side, and i was interested in a pistol for her. Explained i was looking for a 38, or perhaps a 380, and that this was for her to have easy access to a weapon when she's in the side of the house where the weapons aren't stored. My weapon is too heavy for her, but i can't and don't expect her to carry the 6" colt .38 around the house, even though she is comfortable with it.
    Hey @Workaholic . If I may say so, this is just way too much damn information for you to be telling some cat behind a counter. They don't need to know all of that!

All they needed to know is that when you walked into the store that you were looking for a 38 or 380. That's it! Whenever you start all of this talking and telling all of your personal business as such; these cats will automatically "assume" that their opinion is valid and superior to what yours is and they'll have no problem trying to sell you on theirs!
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

If you let someone's opinion stop you from going to a range or a store, you may end up not going to any ranges or stores. The opinions on this forum span the spectrum. I do what works for me and don't care what other's opinions are on guns, ammo, ballistics, or what distance I should shoot my self-defense guns.
    dangerranger and gwalker like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    If you let someone's opinion stop you from going to a range or a store, you may end up not going to any ranges or stores. The opinions on this forum span the spectrum. I do what works for me and don't care what other's opinions are on guns, ammo, ballistics, or what distance I should shoot my self-defense guns.
    Boy, and they call me a curmudgeon!
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Just because the baggers at Krogers ALWAYS put the lettuce on the bottom of the bag and the heavy stuff on top of it, I don't quit going to Kroger to shop for organic products.

Yep, talk to the owner, manager of the range, and give them another try. And never expect a person behind the counter to give you decent realistic advice on what gun to buy for "the wife." They won't.

In fact, way back in time, Gramps bought "my first semi auto" for me. It was junk, wouldn't work at all, and went back. So there I was: "the wife" - Versus - both Gramps and the person behind the counter, both of whom thought they knew what kind of little tiny gun I needed. I only threw a very small hissy fit, as quiet as I can do one.

I won. I got my first Glock. A 19 of course!

As far as I can tell, from what I've seen, heard and read here and on another forum, the only thing the person behind the counter is good for is to tell you if they have the gun you are asking about, and to write up the sale if there happens to be a sale. And also from my experience, range ammo prices are insulting at best. But we buy our ammo in bulk. We take our own targets also, which we buy in bulk packages.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Gun ranges are perfect places...until the people show up.
    Chuck R., Portcullis and gwalker like this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links