Is there any truth to this? 80% Lowers that is.

Is there any truth to this? 80% Lowers that is.

This is a discussion on Is there any truth to this? 80% Lowers that is. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; never mind - not sure if I was violating forum rules with my post....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Is there any truth to this? 80% Lowers that is.

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar

Question Is there any truth to this? 80% Lowers that is.

never mind - not sure if I was violating forum rules with my post.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

Gabill, sdprof and Risasi like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Perfectly legal and I don't believe criminals will go to the trouble. More liberal fear mongering.

https://www.80percentarms.com/

https://www.righttobear.com/AR15-80-...ols-s/1855.htm

https://thundertactical.com/collecti...ower-receivers
    OldVet and OD* like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

its legal and it should be. Just think, much like the bump stocks, there is only a market for this because of other draconian gun laws.
    We get the government we deserve.

I'm no machinist and don't have the equipment, so finishing a 80% receiver is not something I would undertake.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

They will never stop people from making guns. The Hmong, some group of kids in the Trashcanistans building AK's out of stamped parts and reloading once fired brass. Ghost guns are all over the place. 80% AR's, Glock receivers, 1911 receiver. Here is a cool poly AR:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Fr...ler_/4-676733/

Here is another example that gives Israel a hard time: https://www.timesofisrael.com/say-he...or-terrorists/

I have no desire to do it , but if I did I could with out question get it right
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

As others have stated, it is perfectly legal. Assuming someone isn't a prohibited person, they can manufacture guns for their personal use. The 80% receivers are not "firearms" - they are nothing more than a chunk of metal that just happens to have some of the shape of a firearm. However, what happens to it once you pass is a trickier question.

From the ATF:

Q: Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use?

A: No, a license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use. However, a license is required to manufacture firearms for sale or distribution. The law prohibits a person from assembling a non–sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as well as firearms that cannot be detected by metal detectors or x–ray machines. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho41 View Post
    As others have stated, it is perfectly legal. Assuming someone isn't a prohibited person, they can manufacture guns for their personal use. The 80% receivers are not "firearms" - they are nothing more than a chunk of metal that just happens to have some of the shape of a firearm. However, what happens to it once you pass is a trickier question.

From the ATF:
    Who's to say the inheriting son didn't build the gun, seeing as there is no registration, no tracking, no legal requirement to keep sales receipts, no nothing. And if you say the ATF can (will) claim he didn't, they can also make that claim about every single homemade gun in existence. Prove you made it or you're guilty until proven innocent.

Now if Bubba goes around telling everyone he has the homemade AR-15 his daddy built, well then...

It's a can of worms waiting to be tipped over.
    AzQkr, airslot and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm no machinist and don't have the equipment, so finishing a 80% receiver is not something I would undertake.
    Yep, but folks like me do have the tools to take care of it. Making it O' so much fun....
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

And Shepards we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, So that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command,
    And we shall flow a river forth to Thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be,

By law you can still transfer and sell the weapon. It's a grey line. What the law states is that you can't build one for the PURPOSE of selling or transferring. If you choose to sell it later or transfer it, you can legally do so. However, read up on that specific law because once you decide to transfer or sell it, I believe you have to stamp a serial number on it and manufacturer's (your info) information on the gun. But in order to do that, you would then have to have an FFL. It does get complicated. Oldvet is correct though in stating there is nothing there to prove you were the original builder versus someone else, other than the original sales slip from the place you purchased the 80% lower receiver.
    "The refusal of the Founding Fathers to precisely name the types of arms which citizens have a right to keep and bear was intentional. The same can be said of their refusal to constrain our right of free expression to quill pens."

Quote Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
    They will never stop people from making guns. The Hmong, some group of kids in the Trashcanistans building AK's out of stamped parts and reloading once fired brass. Ghost guns are all over the place. 80% AR's, Glock receivers, 1911 receiver. Here is a cool poly AR:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Fr...ler_/4-676733/
    Do that in a clear plastic and you really will have a ghost gun. Or is that ghostly?
    msgt/ret and montejames like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 227 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Seen a lower done on a 3d printer, it worked. Now I would not try that with a barrel .
    maxwell97 and NECCdude like this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

We, in Kentucky, have been distilling adult alcoholic beverages without ANYONE'S permission for a loooooong time.

Only for our own "personal enjoyment".
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Who's to say the inheriting son didn't build the gun, seeing as there is no registration, no tracking, no legal requirement to keep sales receipts, no nothing. And if you say the ATF can (will) claim he didn't, they can also make that claim about every single homemade gun in existence. Prove you made it or you're guilty until proven innocent.

Now if Bubba goes around telling everyone he has the homemade AR-15 his daddy built, well then...

It's a can of worms waiting to be tipped over.
    @OldVet , I am not making any claims as to what would/could happen if such a firearm was to change hands. To my knowledge it is not legal. It is also illegal to sell them, but without any registration/history of where it came from the same argument as to "how" the authorities could prove it was illegally sold would apply. I can understand looking at those two scenarios differently, but the legality is the same (to my knowledge).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links