Question about the .45 Colt round

This is a discussion on Question about the .45 Colt round within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been looking at SA revolvers, and noticed a few of the manufacturers offer models chambered in .45 Colt. And the online sites I order ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Question about the .45 Colt round

I've been looking at SA revolvers, and noticed a few of the manufacturers offer models chambered in .45 Colt. And the online sites I order ammo from, all carry .45 Colt. However, except for SA revolvers and lever guns, the round is hardly mentioned.

I understand the .45 Colt has been around for a long time, but I don't recall any talk of it as a SD round, so what is it used for nowadays? Competition shooting? Nostalgia? Hunting?
    CG11, msgt/ret and OldChap like this.

Distinguished Member
    The 45LC is available with a 250gr Hornady XTP bullet... I'd consider that a reasonable SD round :)
    scottync and MMinSC like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    The 45LC is available with a 250gr Hornady XTP bullet... I'd consider that a reasonable SD round :)
    I've seen that ammo offered from online sites, and have no doubt it's an effective SD round, but I don't recall it ever being mentioned. Not saying it hasn't, but going through countless threads in the forum, I can't find any reference to it in regards to SD.

Anyone here use the .45 Colt for SD?
    OD* and msgt/ret like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Few people routinely carry SA revolvers for self-defense, but there are some here who do.

Loaded at higher than standard pressures, it can be a wicked hunting round, arguably better than .44 Magnum - but many revolvers can't take those pressures.
    Tstone and MMinSC like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Though I am invested with the 44 magnum, a 45 colt with modern ammo in a modern revolver will do anything the 44 mag does with less pressure.

OD will be along soon......
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

.45 Colt is used in the cowboy action shooting thing as I recall. While it was originally a black powder round in the old cowboy days, the modern version now is indeed a formidable round.
    Tstone likes this.

The general problem with the .45 Colt round is commercially it is downloaded due to fears of older SAs that are not as strong as modern metals, etc. Some reloading manuals list two tables of data; one for older firearms, another hotter list for Ruger Blackhawks, which says a lot for BHs.

The round is capable of much more than most commercial rounds produce. I think Ruger now makes a Redhawk in .45 Colt that should be a butt kicker with a solid load. Some of the boutique ammo companies have hotter loads (which should not fired in older SAs).

I think lack of firearm options is the larger cause of lack of SD use, not the caliber itself. That and big rounds make for bigger guns, which is contrary to what most seek in an EDC--unless you're Bad Bob, then all bets are off.

A nice, modern revolver in that caliber would make as good a SD round as anything else that one would want to EDC. That's one big chunk of lead, even if at a slightly lower velocity than some others.

Of course, Glockman would say, "What do you mean lower velocity? Try this!"
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The general problem with the .45 Colt round is commercially it is downloaded due to fears of older SAs that are not as strong as modern metals, etc. Some reloading manuals list two tables of data; one for older firearms, another hotter list for Ruger Blackhawks, which says a lot for BHs.

The round is capable of much more than most commercial rounds produce. I think Ruger now makes a Redhawk in .45 Colt that should be a butt kicker with a solid load. Some of the boutique ammo companies have hotter loads (which should not fired in older SAs).

I think lack of firearm options is the larger cause of lack of SD use, not the caliber itself. That and big rounds make for bigger guns, which is contrary to what most seek in an EDC--unless you're Bad Bob, then all bets are off.

A nice, modern revolver in that caliber would make as good a SD round as anything else that one would want to EDC. That's one big chunk of lead, even if at a slightly lower velocity than some others.

Of course, Glockman would say, "What do you mean lower velocity? Try this!"

Thanks all for your replies. And thanks for the insight OldVet.

I would not hesitate to use it for self defense. The options of having a pistol and rifle combo in either .357 mag, 44 mag, 45 colt, seems like a wonderful setup for most usual encounters.

Are there DA .45 colt guns?
    dangerranger likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tstone View Post
    I've been looking at SA revolvers, and noticed a few of the manufacturers offer models chambered in .45 Colt. And the online sites I order ammo from, all carry .45 Colt. However, except for SA revolvers and lever guns, the round is hardly mentioned.

I understand the .45 Colt has been around for a long time, but I don't recall any talk of it as a SD round, so what is it used for nowadays? Competition shooting? Nostalgia? Hunting?
    I used it as a SD round when I carried a Smith Mountain Gun chambered for the .45 Colt. Still keep a Winchester "trapper" and Colt SAA loaded in .45 Colt around the house. When feeling really feisty, I'll bring out the Ruger with 325grain Keith's at 1250fps.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I would not hesitate to use it for self defense. The options of having a pistol and rifle combo in either .357 mag, 44 mag, 45 colt, seems like a wonderful setup for most usual encounters.

4.20 inch barrel Redhawk Model 5032. Will run .45 auto also
    BigJon10125 and OldVet like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Though I am invested with the 44 magnum, a 45 colt with modern ammo in a modern revolver will do anything the 44 mag does with less pressure.

OD will be along soon......
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Yes, I have a current Ruger Redhawk in .45ACP - .45Colt, there is also a Redhawk model that is just .45Colt

Any .454Casull will also chamber and fire .45Colt, as will the .460 S&W Magnum

there is the S&W 25 and 625, just not sure if they are current mfg
    BigJon10125, OD*, drmordo and 1 others like this.

Senior Member Array ShotPlacement's Avatar
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Doug

NRA Life Member - 2nd Amendment Foundation member- Gun Owners of America Member

Don't be the internet goof that types things you wouldn't have the courage to say to someone's face.

VIP Member

As mentioned earlier, the Redhawk comes in .45 Colt and a .45 Colt/.45 ACP combo chambering. Don't forget the "Judge" and "Governor" abominations from Taurus and S&W, respectively, that chamber .45 Colt and .410 shotshells.

My only .45 Colt (so far) is the ol' Colt Model 1909 (l), shown here with the .45 ACP M1917 (r):

Name:  45s.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  51.6 KB
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links