All right you guys- got a problem with my reloads- and since you got me into this... - Page 3

All right you guys- got a problem with my reloads- and since you got me into this...

This is a discussion on All right you guys- got a problem with my reloads- and since you got me into this... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by CavemanBob Next up, working out the SD problem. Yep, exactly what I was thinking. Originally Posted by CavemanBob ...Personally, I favor Varget ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: All right you guys- got a problem with my reloads- and since you got me into this...

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    Next up, working out the SD problem.
    Yep, exactly what I was thinking.

...Personally, I favor Varget for many 223 loads, it's pretty forgiving and tends to give me temperature stable loads with excellent accuracy. If you can't find a "sweet spot" with the powder you're using, try a pound of Varget.
    Sounds good! A buddy got me on to Ramshot TAC. He's had really good luck with it in all regards.

I think now that the headspace is solved, I'm going to repeat the first batch and see if the proper headspace makes a difference - just to satisfy my curiosity.

BTW, I loaded a dummy round, i.e. bullet in a case, no primer, no powder. I seated the bullet very long and fed it in my Mossberg MVP LR. No resistance felt at all. Apparently the bullet jumps a half mile before it hits the rifling.

...Another thing which can cause high SDs is your primer. You might try working up another set of loads with your current powder but a different brand of primers.
    It never ends! well, I hope it doesn't
    airslot, Havok and rocky like this.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    So are you having to resize these cases more than the ones that the factory ones for them to chamber?
    No, I probably said something poorly. The factory ammo works well. I have had a few tight ones though. It seems to be the particular once fired cases I used that were long. They were Hornady cases I recovered from shooting - or who knows, maybe they were some someone had fired in a longer chamber gun and I picked them up along with mine.

I'm being more careful now.
    Havok likes this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Tangle, I uses standard RCBS .223 dies for reloading for my rifles, AR or not. I use an old Herters SS press that is cast iron and weighs a ton. If I adjust the resizing die to "kiss" the shell holders as recommended (no shell inserted), there will be a noticeable gap between the die and shell holder when I size a case. There is give in the press somewhere, and as sturdy as my press is, I'm sure there is more in any turret or progressive. My At does require absolute "full" length resizing, whereas my 788 is more forgiving.

Run a case through your resizing die and watch for any excess gap as I described. A simple slight adjustment may be needed,
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Glad you got the sizing issue resolved.

As for the SD... I am also using Ramshot TAC and have settled on the following load:

Sierra 65gr SBT GameKing
    24.3gr Ramshot TAC
    Mixed range brass
    CCI #400 Small Rifle Primers
    COAL of 2.256

This is giving me:
    2794 fps avg.
    SD of 19
    ES of 66
    Average group size is just over 1" @100 yards - best 5 shot group of .94" @100 yards.

This is out of a Piston driven AR with a 16" bbl (Stag Model 8).

The only other powder I have tried for 223 REM is AR-Comp from Alliant. I got similar performance, although I ended up going with TAC because it measured better through my powder measure. I have heard very good things about Varget, but have not tried it because my measure just does not like the extruded powders.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    The only other powder I have tried for 223 REM is AR-Comp from Alliant. I got similar performance, although I ended up going with TAC because it measured better through my powder measure. I have heard very good things about Varget, but have not tried it because my measure just does not like the extruded powders.
    Varget is great. I use it for my heavier 308 loads. But it meters like dog poop.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Glad you got the sizing issue resolved.

As for the SD... I am also using Ramshot TAC and have settled on the following load:

Sierra 65gr SBT GameKing
    24.3gr Ramshot TAC
    Mixed range brass
    CCI #400 Small Rifle Primers
    COAL of 2.256

This is giving me:
    2794 fps avg.
    SD of 19
    ES of 66
    Average group size is just over 1" @100 yards - best 5 shot group of .94" @100 yards.

This is out of a Piston driven AR with a 16" bbl (Stag Model 8).

Good stuff!
    in Gun Free Zones.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdShift View Post
    Varget is great. I use it for my heavier 308 loads. But it meters like dog poop.
    Not good stuff!

Actually, I've heard a lot of good stuff about Varget, I'm sure I'll try some before long. So how do you meter it?
    in Gun Free Zones.

One of the reasons I looked at TAC and AR-Comp was because they both gave the results I was looking for in BOTH 223 REM and 308 Win. If AR-Comp metered as well as TAC does, I am not sure which one I would have gone with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Not good stuff!

Actually, I've heard a lot of good stuff about Varget, I'm sure I'll try some before long. So how do you meter it?
    My understanding is that most who use the extruded powders use a trickler. This allows for probably the most accurate powder measure, but is time consuming because it is done off press. I have never used one myself, but I know a couple of guys that reload for long range accuracy and they swear by them (one uses a manual trickler and the other one uses the RCBS Charge Master - expensive, but he loves it).
    flh likes this.

VIP Member
    What's doubly interesting, is how did nearly 50 cases randomly selected, wind up being too long? If I had picked just about any of the cases I didn't pick, this would have not happened!
    Kinda like the stats teacher explaining that 50% chance of coin landing heads/tails doesn't mean 25/50 real flips will be heads - until he does it as an experiment and gets 25 heads. All that measuring is made a lot easier with the Hornady AOL guage https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...nady+oal+guage

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Kinda like the stats teacher explaining that 50% chance of coin landing heads/tails doesn't mean 25/50 real flips will be heads - until he does it as an experiment and gets 25 heads. All that measuring is made a lot easier with the Hornady AOL guage https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...nady+oal+guage
    Hey man, good to hear from you, where you been, you doing ok?

Probably a good tool; I've been looking at one of those.

However, OAL, i.e. from case base to bullet tip wasn't a problem, it was the headspace - the length from the base of the case to the shoulder of the case.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    You need to set your sizing die to where you "cam over" when you size. Screw your sizing die down to where it touches the plate, then turn another 1/4 of a turn. You'll feel your press cam over. That should bump the shoulder back far enough.
    My RCBS dies for 357 Sig would not push the shoulder back all the way. So I ended up having to take a file to a shell holder and make it .007 inches less thick. Thankfully it was during the winter and I had nothing else to do.

Hey man, good to hear from you, where you been, you doing ok?

Probably a good tool; I've been looking at one of those.

However, OAL, i.e. from case base to bullet tip wasn't a problem, it was the headspace - the length from the base of the case to the shoulder of the case.
    When you verified case length, did you do it before or after you sized?

Those OAL tools seem pretty neat, but you can do the same thing with a piece of fired brass, a bullet, a sharpie, and a bullet comparator.

https://www.nosler.com/blog/news-and...your-own-loads
    We get the government we deserve.

Lead Moderator
    When you verified case length, did you do it before or after you sized?
    Both - I think I settled on after, because if the shoulder gets bumped, it would shorten the case.

...Those OAL tools seem pretty neat, but you can do the same thing with a piece of fired brass, a bullet, a sharpie, and a bullet comparator.
    I hurried through the article so I probably missed something, but what I'm going to do is FL size a case but with lighter neck tension. I can do that because I have a bushing die. I get the bullet started straight and place it gun. I push it forward and if the bullet touches, I pull it out, carefully, and seat it a bit deeper. I continue this until it just kisses the lands with the bolt closed. I measure the length using a bullet gauge (measures from ogive to base) and then change the seating die to about 0.005" and try a bullet. I'll compare the loaded round to the dummy reference round.

That sound about right or not???
    Havok likes this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Both - I think I settled on after, because if the shoulder gets bumped, it would shorten the case.

I hurried through the article so I probably missed something, but what I'm going to do is FL size a case but with lighter neck tension. I can do that because I have a bushing die. I get the bullet started straight and place it gun. I push it forward and if the bullet touches, I pull it out, carefully, and seat it a bit deeper. I continue this until it just kisses the lands with the bolt closed. I measure the length using a bullet gauge (measures from ogive to base) and then change the seating die to about 0.005" and try a bullet. I'll compare the loaded round to the dummy reference round.

That sound about right or not???
    The case will actually lengthen when being resized, but if you checked it after sizing then that would be the correct time to check, because then you can trim if necessary.

And yes that is basically how the article was saying to measure the distance to lands. Although if your neck tension is light enough it wll slide the bullet back into the case, and you can just measure off of that with your comparator to find the distance to lands, and back off from there to see what your rifle likes.
    We get the government we deserve.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links