“Revolver” Mindset - Page 4

“Revolver” Mindset

This is a discussion on “Revolver” Mindset within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you @ CDW4ME , I get what you are saying, but I have to interject another little wrench in there. ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: “Revolver” Mindset

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you @CDW4ME , I get what you are saying, but I have to interject another little wrench in there. Mom and daughter don't really look like they are the kinds of kids who hang out here and think about ammo selection. If that's the case, that's a wrinkle. I mean Walmart's 38 Special FMJ in the snub was never advertised as devastating, and that little 32 or whatever the daughter is packing... if that doesn't have decent ammo...

But who knows!!

Clearly the answer when packing a j frame is to have a NY reload at the ready. But aside from that, this is where knowing how to dump all your rounds on target really plays a role. I'm glad I can mag dump my semi's after watching that. It's not a game. Fight to win. Finish it! Mindset will save or kill you!!

Shocked buddy didn't die!!
    Ezekiel 23:20

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I use boarding house rules: Everybody gets one before anyone gets seconds. Nobody is going to fight at full efficiency with a bullet hole in them. I am no fan of the 38 special but it beats a sharp stick.
    The boarding house rules are also a good reason to use a more powerful caliber. As Bad Bob knows, light 44 mag from a N frame is not bad at all but still packs a whole lot of punch, or for that matter you could carry one of those 8 shot 627 PCs and I guarantee full-tilt .357 would be very manageable. I plan to buy one of those 627s at some point.

So, I personally carry a .44 MAG N and a .38 SPL/327 MAG J frame every day with 2 reloads for each. My bare minimum is the J. I carry a .38/.327 because .357 is just too brutal to practice with in a pocket gun, although I still want a LCR357 because I think it might be easier to shoot than a metal frame gun. I know people say you don't feel recoil in a gunfight, but simple physics means the 357 will have a lot more recoil and training with only .38 means I won't be prepared to control the 357's recoil.

I do subscribe to the theory that I'm very unlikely to need either and that if I do need them, a couple of shots will very likely end the confrontation. I carry the second gun as an acknowledgement that one cylinder is not many shots and that if things go horribly wrong a reload is slower than grabbing a second gun. Ultimately, it's very easy to get into a mindset that is very close to "paranoid" rather than "prepared". Those of us who aren't LEOs have to look at where we live and where we work and assess whether an armed confrontation is likely and we truly need to be armed to the teeth. I do not.

If I was shopping for one revolver to carry on my belt and was intimidated by the N frame 627's size, I'd take a very hard look at the 7 shot GP100 .357 snubbie. .357 from a GP100 is fairly manageable, and I find a GP100 to be a very easy gun to carry. I'd recommend a S&W 686, but frankly my Performance Center 686 was not reliable from the factory and is kind of awkwardly weighted. It's like a K frame that got a bit overweight. Meanwhile my 3" GP100 Wiley Clapp is so brilliant I've been thinking about having it fitted for a 7 shot cylinder.

@drmordo - The J Frame is as big as I'm willing to go. I really don't like large or heavy handguns. I'd have considered Rugers LCR, but I found it way uncomfortable in the hand.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Ok, the one final suggestion you are not asking for is a Taurus 617. They are pretty much J frame sized, but carry 7 rounds of .357.

Next to a J frame:

-taurus-617-m85ul.jpg
    -taurus-617-m85ul-2.jpg
    forester58 and drift like this.

Thanks man. I’ll go have a look!

Long time no talk Drift. I have been carrying my 642 enough to start to where the finish off. I just love that little gun. It is so comfortable to carry. You almost forget you have it with you. No I don't think it would be as effective as my Glock 26 in a gun fight. I also have not been in any gun fights or even had a true threat of being in one. I view my 642 as a get off me gun. I can dump 5 rounds in a pie plate at 10 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger. If that won't do it chances are I would be screwed anyway. It's good enough for me. Self defense is all about choices. And I am comfortable with a j frame in my pocket and a XD Mod2 45ACP in my bag. J frames are sexy and I enjoy carrying one.
    drift, Old Man, AzQkr and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by drift View Post
    It’s tricky. The .357 will take you off target longer than a .38. But ideally, that’ll be ok because it’s more effective.

I don’t have anything against 38’s, but the are only marginally more effective than a .380 if rumor is to be believed.

The “real” value I’m seeing in the revolver is it’s resilience. Which is huge for me these days. All my semis have been showing me how ammo and mag sensitive they are here lately. It’s killing me.
    This is happening a LOT to me lately. The only factory ammo that has run consistently is a cheap range ammo (Blazer Brass). This is why I'm beginning to think that my pocket-carry .38 is becoming my primary and the semi is becoming my backup.
    drift, msgt/ret and drmordo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    This is happening a LOT to me lately. The only factory ammo that has run consistently is a cheap range ammo (Blazer Brass). This is why I'm beginning to think that my pocket-carry .38 is becoming my primary and the semi is becoming my backup.
    It’s crazy isn’t it. Somewhat unnerving really. I’m betting you’re loveing on your “primary” - I don’t have that luxury yet.
    lchamp, msgt/ret and drmordo like this.

Here is Paul talking to the whole 357 vs 38 out of your snubs.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Real nice shooting glasses there.
    Joe

Folks can find an anecdote to prove whatever point they want to.

What galls me are those who insist a "high cap semi auto" is always better than a revolver. No, it isn't. There are pros and cons to both.

Let's consider the whole "Hands Up Don't Shoot" fiasco, shall we? Criminal leans into patrol vehicle window, and tries to get officer's wonder pistol. Officer tries to shoot criminal, but can't...because his wonder pistol is out of battery in the struggle. So...what good are those 16 rounds? No good at all, at that critical moment. In this case, had the officer had a revolver, he might have been able to shoot the criminal while he was leaning into the vehicle...and the whole false narrative of what happened later would have been avoided.

Let's consider the jewelry store owner, whose store was repeatedly robbed at gunpoint. He had revolvers every five feet behind the counter...would shoot one dry, then grab the next. Well, he was convinced that he needed to up his firepower, so he got some wonder pistols. Guess what? The next robbery, his pistol (a normally reliable Sig) jammed...likely due to a poor grip (which happens under stress). Luckily for him, an employee emerged from the back room with the shotgun, or it would have been game over.

Now...have officers been killed trying to reload their revolvers? YES! But most of those were when officers used dump pouches, instead of speed loaders. Also, most did not have a backup gun...for whatever reason.

If you carry a pair of revolvers, you are arguably better off than the person who carries one high cap semi auto "fighting pistol" (sic).

Carry whatever works for YOU, and whatever gives you the most confidence. The latter is a big one, as it contributes to your mindset, which is more important than anything else.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Quote Originally Posted by drift View Post
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you @CDW4ME , I get what you are saying,

Clearly the answer when packing a j frame is to have a NY reload at the ready.!
    I sometimes wonder if my posts have as much effect as tossing a glass of ice onto the yard to counter global warming.
    However, the Earth got a fraction of a degree cooler this time, thank you.
    Bad Bob, drift and Instymp like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Let's consider the whole "Hands Up Don't Shoot" fiasco, shall we? Criminal leans into patrol vehicle window, and tries to get officer's wonder pistol. Officer tries to shoot criminal, but can't...because his wonder pistol is out of battery in the struggle. So...what good are those 16 rounds? No good at all, at that critical moment. In this case, had the officer had a revolver, he might have been able to shoot the criminal while he was leaning into the vehicle...and the whole false narrative of what happened later would have been avoided.
    FBI data indicated that the first shot was made from inside the car? Was the pistol out of battery at one point? I don't remember. But you do have a valid point.
    drift and msgt/ret like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

If I were to go to the trouble of practicing mozambique drills, I'd just make the first shot the head shot to begin with. Two shots to COM may take them out of the fight/stop the attack but not necessarily see them go down. I'm looking for my rounds to stop the attack and incapacitate, not put them on the ground, per se.

Pull a shot into the shoulder that's holding the weapon and they drop it? Do they need more rds or a head shot? Me thinks not personally. If you're going to practice that drill, get a set up where the head is moving, either down or to either side. A paper target that just stands there waiting for a head shot is not very realistic to begin with IMO.

Practicing that drill to extremes develops a programmed auto response. Every battle will see differing variables. Learn to make decisions on the fly dynamically based on what you're seeing, not auto programmed responses, IMO.
    Pete63 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    If I were to go to the trouble of practicing mozambique drills, I'd just make the first shot the head shot to begin with. Two shots to COM may take them out of the fight/stop the attack but not necessarily see them go down. I'm looking for my rounds to stop the attack and incapacitate, not put them on the ground, per se.

Pull a shot into the shoulder that's holding the weapon and they drop it? Do they need more rds or a head shot? Me thinks not personally. If you're going to practice that drill, get a set up where the head is moving, either down or to either side. A paper target that just stands there waiting for a head shot is not very realistic to begin with IMO.

Practicing that drill to extremes develops a programmed auto response. Every battle will see differing variables. Learn to make decisions on the fly dynamically based on what you're seeing, not auto programmed responses, IMO.
    We’ve had this discussion before. I’ve gone so far as to try and simulate the hardships of a headshot using balloons. It made it more challenging for sure. But the fact is, I’m not sure how you practice making decisions on the fly at a shooting range. I mean it sounds good and all, but many of us don’t have that luxury. Besides, the whole reason for the drill was to make it a programmed response. Isn’t that what training is about?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links