Realistic Gun Fights in Movies. - Page 3

Realistic Gun Fights in Movies.

This is a discussion on Realistic Gun Fights in Movies. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldChap Yes, you are absolutely correct. In my case, not being armed in such encounters, I was outgunned by anybody with a ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: Realistic Gun Fights in Movies.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Yes, you are absolutely correct. In my case, not being armed in such encounters, I was outgunned by anybody with a slingshot.
    You are never unarmed.......you can use your rapier like wit.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    You are never unarmed.......you can use your rapier like wit.
    If only they could understand all the fancy words I use!!!!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    It'd take a bit of imagination, but I think the shooting in the movie "OPEN RANGE"
    I would agree up to the point where Duval shot through the wall with a shotgun and the guy flew 10 feet through the air.
    OldChap, OD*, Risasi and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ShenandoahValley View Post
    This shooting in Miami made many agencies rethink some things when it comes to what weapons we could carry. Mine included.
    I get to see one of the agents speak this fall. Supposedly in his new book some things come out that the public wasn't privy to.
    OldChap, OD* and MMinSC like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I get to see one of the agents speak this fall. Supposedly in his new book some things come out that the public wasn't privy to.
    Can you give us the author's name so we can look for it in print?
    OD* and MMinSC like this.

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Can you give us the author's name so we can look for it in print?
    Sorry, I would have if I knew it. Give me a couple minutes to look on FB, I know he spoke recently in NOVA, let me see if I can find it.
    OldChap and OD* like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Sorry, I would have if I knew it. Give me a couple minutes to look on FB, I know he spoke recently in NOVA, let me see if I can find it.
    No hurry brother @matthew03 . Thanks and that should be a fascinating read.
    matthew03 likes this.

Ed Mireles, title of the book is FBI Miami Firefight: Five Minutes That Chaged the Bureau.
    MMinSC, OD* and OldChap like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

Looks like all the top movies I could think of have already been mentioned. Although for "Heat" I thought the Drive-In Theater shootout was better than the bank scene...but of course at that time I was big into Heckler and Koch and had a couple HK91's. Michael Mann has a knack for staying fairly realistic with the gun play.

I have to give another nod though to Val Kilmer in a little known movie called "Spartan". I think it had some high points with the gunplay.

Also, has anyone mentioned "Unforgiven"? I thought they did a good job on that one. Everything from Eastwood's character having problems hitting the can on the fencepost with his revolver so he switched to a shotgun (Seems like something @OldVet would do. ), to the long shot with the Spencer, the bushwacking in the outhouse and the bar shootout. "Duck of Death".

Not very good gunplay, but two other notable mentions for 70's thriller fights scenes; "Marathon Man", "Three Days of the Condor", "French Connection".

I guess I kind of just gloss lack of realism in favor of actors you can tell are gun guys in real life, like Steve McQueen, Keanu Reeves, Eastwood, Lee Marvin, Bronson, etc...Edit to add: James Garner, and Jason Robards. You could tell they were gun savvy too...
    matthew03 and OldChap like this.

^^^^ Good Call, Spartan was excellent all around as a movie.
    OldChap likes this.
    Appalachian Concealment

Quote Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
    Everything from Eastwood's character having problems hitting the can on the fencepost with his revolver so he switched to a shotgun (Seems like something @OldVet would do. ), to the long shot with the Spencer, the bushwacking in the outhouse and the bar shootout. "Duck of Death".
    Eh, whatever it takes.

Realistic Gun Fights in Movies.-1.jpg
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

How about the tops in unrealistic-ness....... The Walking Dead

I stopped watching this for several reasons, but mostly because of gun scenes.

People manage to miss the human bad guys at less than 100 feet with dozens of rounds, but can pick off zombies with head shots further out.

Some ARs manage to be able to shoot hundreds of rounds before switching out.

Fully automatic weapons used in larger shootouts with many people kill no one. Not even a flesh wound.

Many people just shoot one handed.
    OldChap likes this.

The folding knife stabbed through a skull got old real quick on Dead.
    OD* and OldChap like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

VIP Member
    I've not been in any gunfights, so I have no idea which depictions are realistic and which are not.

And I hope to go to my grave wallowing in such ignorance.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

I liked the movie Heat a lot as well.

I used to complain about the way guns were handled in movies too. Always racking slides, safeties on Glocks, etc. American Riflemen TV did a whole episode about the guns of Hollywood. They interviewed the company that provides many of the guns. A lot goes into making them operate. Sometimes three different pistols for a character based on how close the blanks are used. The closer the gun is used to other actors, the more it has to be modified to work with blanks safely. That part was really cool seeing the warehouse and workshops. The other part they interviewed some choreographer types that work with gun scenes. Much to my surprise, these guy know exactly what they are doing. It is just the medium of film that requires what I thought of as dumb mistakes. For instance, when there is a suspenseful scene in the dark, the only way to convey to the audience that a gun has come into play is sound. That is why there is so much clackety-clack or.clicking off a safety on a Glock or something. They just have to convey drama and suspense with only two senses- sight and sound.
    matthew03, Risasi, Pete63 and 2 others like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links