Best powder for 45acp?

Best powder for 45acp?

This is a discussion on Best powder for 45acp? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think there is a thread but not seeing it . Looking for advice for best powder for 45acp. 230 gr. FMJ range ammo. Thanks...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Best powder for 45acp?

Best powder for 45acp?

I think there is a thread but not seeing it . Looking for advice for best powder for 45acp. 230 gr. FMJ range ammo. Thanks

My suggestion would be HP-38 (same as but cheaper than WW-231). It meters very well and burns cleanly in the upper half of the load range. Would be difficult to double charge and seat a bullet, if possible at all. In all reality, there are many that are good range powders for the .45 ACP.

Reloading threads are somewhat hidden as a sub-topic under the Defensive ammo and ballistics thread.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    I've settled on Universal.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Any experience with these? Good price etc.?https://www.xtremebullets.com/shoppingcart.asp

Senior Moderator
    Not certain it's best but Unique in 6.7 grain charge weights gets me the "ball equivalent" handload I want for "general purpose" use.

835 fps
    356 ft./lbs.

Velocities measured from out of a Colt with a 5-inch barrel.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Best for what - cost or performance? I reload purely for cost. Right now my calculated cost for reloading .45acp is 18 cents apiece, or about $9.25 for a box of 50.

For .45acp I use Green Dot. These days I think it's mostly viewed as a shotgun powder, but some of the reloading manuals from the 1970's-80s list pistol loads for it, so do some of the online reloading sites. It's cheap and always available - even in the dark days of 2012 it was available. I usually buy 8 pounds at a time. My friends and I usually lump our orders together and split up the hazmat cost. 4.6gr of Green Dot will drive a 230gr RN about 750-775 fps. Powder is the cheapest part of reloading, way less than a penny per round.

Primers - whatever, they're all the same. Get the cheapest you can find. Include them with the powder order so you don't pay extra hazmat. Primers will average 3 cents per round.

Bullets are by far the most expensive component in a reloaded cartridge. I use plated bullets from Berry's Mfg. There's nothing special about them, except they're cheap and if you spend a certain amount Berry's ships for free. That's right - a week later and you get a huge box of lead on your doorstep and you don't pay shipping. Right now you can get a 500 round box of 230gr .45acp's for about $75, or 15 cents each.

I load low velocity stuff for range practice only. That not only saves on powder, it keeps the pressures low, so my brass lasts forever. I shouldn't admit this, but I've got brass that probably has 50, maybe 100 loadings on it. I don't throw it away until the case splits. And the cases don't split very often.

FYI my 9mm reloads run me 11 cents apiece.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Like OldVet I'm fan of HP-38/WW231. Whichever you can find or find the cheapest. My load was always 5.8gr behind a 200gr H&G68 style bullet. It makes the old 175PF IPSC major. Now that major has been lowered so can the load. Similarly I shot steel games with 5.0gr behind the same bullet. It's pretty versatile.
    Joe

Its been years since I reloaded, but when I did WW-231 was my go-to for .45 acp and .38 spl. I would be willing to bet that it was the go-to for many reloaders back in the day! That being said there may be better choices out there now. Good luck!
    OldChap likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PAISAN View Post
    Any experience with these? Good price etc.?https://www.xtremebullets.com/shoppingcart.asp
    Yep - thousands of 9mm 124gr rounds launched with reasonable success. Berry's seem a little more accurate, but that's not quantifiable at the moment.

You might look into Bayou Bullets, which have a high-tech coating. I used these for my .45 ACP loads and I'm very favorably impressed.

FWIW, I use 4.8 gr of Titegroup with a 200 gr Bayou Bullets SWC and get about 870 ft/sec from a 5" 1911. Economical and velocity is not highly sensitive to temperature. My net cost per round is 13-15 cents.
    Last edited by gasmitty; September 2nd, 2018 at 11:48 PM.
    PAISAN, OD*, OldChap and 4 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I like Unique.
    PAISAN, OD*, bmcgilvray and 7 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

And I've used VV N320 with good result.
    OD* likes this.

For the range, I like Berry's 230gr plated over either Power Pistol or BE-86.

I've had good luck with Unique.
    bmcgilvray, airslot and Geezer like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Well...I'm old and old school. I shot tens of thousands of rounds in competition using Bullseye and lead SWC's. Who knows how many in practice. I also used Unique and WW-231. I was interested in two things mainly: consistent performance and easy, accurate metering.

I tried a LOT of other powders back then, but none performed as consistently as Bullseye. I can't remember too many other shooters who used anything else. It was the standard joke, "Got anything other than Bullseye?"

BTW - Bullseye was invented in 1913, so it must have been invented with the aid of the Master Himself: JMB.
    OD*, SatCong, bmcgilvray and 3 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

I bought 32 pounds of Unique at the start of the ammo panic. I'll probably be using it forever for 45 ACP and 45 Colt. I have powders that are better for either cartridge but Unique works well on both and is cheap. Fills up the 45 Colt case enough that position sensitivity is not an issue.
    SatCong, OD*, bmcgilvray and 4 others like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links