Tell me about the Ruger SR series.

This is a discussion on Tell me about the Ruger SR series. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ruger products are very budget friendly, but does this necessarily mean they are cheaply made? I have some experience with the old P series but ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Tell me about the Ruger SR series.

Distinguished Member Array AmmoFan01's Avatar

Ruger products are very budget friendly, but does this necessarily mean they are cheaply made? I have some experience with the old P series but very little with the newer models. I am looking for info on stuff like long term durability, reliability, and customer service. Would you use a Ruger for CC and/or home defense?
    CG11 likes this.

Well I have three of them if that makes a difference, fit and finish is very good comparable to any other well made gun. As far as to durability I have run a few hundred rounds through each of them with no problems and I will say they are probably more accurate than I am capable of. I have only used Rugers customer once many years ago and was quite pleased. Most of my carry guns are 1911s so they fit right in for carry duty.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Well I have three of them if that makes a difference, fit and finish is very good comparable to any other well made gun. As far as to durability I have run a few hundred rounds through each of them with no problems and I will say they are probably more accurate than I am capable of. I have only used Rugers customer once many years ago and was quite pleased. Most of my carry guns are 1911s so they fit right in for carry duty.
    Sounds good, what personal defense rounds do you use?

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Iíve had a few LCPs. They are great guns for what they are. Finish isnít the best, but keep them wiped down and they wonít rust. Great backup gun or gun for when an employer doesnít want you carrying per company policy.

The LCR is just awesome.

The SR1911 looks great for the money. Iíve shot my friends 5Ē SR1911 enough to know I wouldnít ever rely on it working. It can usually go 100rds of 230gr brass ammo before a malfunction... Usually. As for any sort of quality JHPs, like Gold Dot or HST, it canít make it through 1-2 mags without a malfunction. Fun range you, just not something Iíd personally purchase or put into a defensive role.

The Ruger SR series often get overlooked because of their safety features. Magazine safety, external safety, and loaded chamber indicator. None of those bother me. I only engage the safety on my SR9E and SR9c to holster them. Once in the holster I flip the safety off. Magazine safeties get a lot of bad press on forums, but I'm not some wannabe operator who thinks that they are going to be doing tactical reloads to top off in the middle of a gunfight. Though the magazine safety is not necessary, I leave mine in the gun as to not disable any factory made safety features.

The SR series have some of the best factory triggers out there. I have over 4000 trouble free rounds through my 9E and almost 2000 rounds through my second SR9c and had 3000 plus rounds through my first SR9c that I sold off. They are dependable and not a gun intended to only be shot a very little.

You won't be disappointed with an SR series. I've out shot guys with much more expensive Sigs, H&Ks, Kimbers etc with my budget friendly Rugers.

It's the Indian, not the arrow!

I stick with the WW Personal Defense 230gr JHP since that is the only round that functions reliably in my SA Micro Compact.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I have 10mm and 45 full size versions, plus 9mm and 45 lightweight CMD.
    All have fed any HP I tried, including HST, Golden Saber, Barnes Tac-XP, Nosler and work with the supplied mags.
    The 9mm CMD came with a recoil spring that was was too light (felt like 10#), I replaced the spring.
    All four had plunger tube spring overly kinked resulting in thumb safety too easy to disengage/ mushy disengage, replacing spring solved problem.
    Invariably someone will tell me the spring is supposed to be kinked, I know.... and if your spring was fine that doesn't change my 4 examples.
    msgt/ret, AmmoFan01 and OldChap like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

JD
    Administrator
    I'd probably opt for the American series, they made some needed improvements over the SR line IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I own Ruger handguns from .22 LR to .454 Casull and Ruger rifles from .17 HMR to .308. They are budget friendly, but built very tough. They may lack the smoothness and polish of my S&W and Colt handguns, but will likely outlast them. Handloading manuals often offer Ruger only recipes for hot reloads.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'd probably opt for the American series, they made some needed improvements over the SR line IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I will check into them.

I had a Ruger SR9c with the stainless slide, and it was an outstanding pistol. The only reason I no longer have it is because I moved away from the external safety, and the trigger on this pistol is too light and short to carry without it. If they ever released an SR9c pro with no safety and a slightly longer/heavier trigger, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

VIP Member
    While I have not owned the SR series, I have owned at least 5 Rugers, both handguns and long guns, and have never had an issue with any of them.
    msgt/ret and AmmoFan01 like this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

I have the customary LCP and an SR9C. The SR9C is an outstanding pistol as @entertainment72 said. In fact the only center fire pistol I have with a trigger that is equal to it cost 4 times what the SR did. I have a stainless one. It does everyday duty in a concealed quick-access case in the living room. I use Winchester 9mm 124 gr Ranger T in it. The trigger is easily target quality, making it very easy to hit whatever you need to.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

The SR9c is my go to, like almost everything about it. Outstanding out of the box trigger.
    My wife is very comfortable with it as well.
    Currently loaded with Hornady 135 gr Critical Duty.

I am thinking about looking into the Ruger Security-9. Can use the same mags and like the idea of internal hammer. Similar to my original LC9.
    AmmoFan01, Pete63 and mbschne like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

I have the SR1911 in .45 full size. After 500 rounds, I still average one failure to feed per magazine. As much as I like it, I donít trust it yet. Iíve tried Winchester White Box, Blazer and Fiocchi in JHP as well as Hornady Critical Defense. Doesnít seem to matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links