What's the deal with all the to-do about Lake City brass???

This is a discussion on What's the deal with all the to-do about Lake City brass??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guys at my range, act like they've found pure gold when they find Lake City brass laying on the ground. Contacts I've had give the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: What's the deal with all the to-do about Lake City brass???

Lead Moderator

Guys at my range, act like they've found pure gold when they find Lake City brass laying on the ground. Contacts I've had give the impression that LC brass is the go-to brand for....something???

It's not that it's not good, I'm not saying that at all, but putting things in perspective, I'd much rather find Hornady brass than Lake City, and I'm not alone, an excerpt from The Precision Rifle Blog:

I recently surveyed the top 100 shooters in the Precision Rifle Series (PRS), and this post reviews the reloading components those ťlite shooters were using in 2015. The PRS tracks how top competitors place in major rifle matches across the country.

Here's what he found regarding what the top 100 professional shooters choose for brass:

Lapua, Hornady, Norma, Winchester, and Nosler. Here's what it looks like - notice not one in the top hundred uses Lake City brass:

Again, not putting LC brass down, but perhaps putting it in perspective. I can buy once fired LC brass a lot cheaper than Lapua and Hornady brass. Still, that doesn't explain the excitement I see when someone finds LC brass. Cost is irrelevant when "finding".

At this point, I'd trade any of my once fired LC brass for once fired Hornady brass - even Winchester as far as trading goes. AND, the Sig brass I've used was very impressive in finish and weight consistency.

I weighed 100 Winchester cases and proceeded to lose the first 25 stats??? But the last 75 cases looked like this:

avg wt.....94.2 gr
    max wt.....95.8 gr
    min wt.....92.8 gr
    ES..........3.0 gr
    SD..........0.6 gr
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Iím just guessing but Lake City provided the ammo used for military matches for many years and their brass has a reputation for being more uniform.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Iím just guessing but Lake City provided the ammo used for military matches for many years and their brass has a reputation for being more uniform.
    I agree, but if it is indeed more uniform, why do none of the top 100 shooters use LC?
    msgt/ret and GeorgeandSugar like this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I have some and its specs do look good - better than the Winchester I posted above. I'm sure gonna give LC a fair chance - today!
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I agree, but if it is indeed more uniform, why do none of the top 100 shooters use LC?
    Good question, I have only shot a few high power matches and the match ammo they had for sale was always Lake City. I have never shot any precision benchrest matches so I have no experience there.
    G-man*, Tangle and airslot like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

For me, brass has always been just brass. I would pick up pretty much any brass that had hadn't been stepped on at the range.

That being said, since I scored a supply of brass from someone that quit reloading (an estate I think), I haven't picked up any range brass that I didn't shoot. I still have 1400 pieces of virgin Win223 and 1000 pieces of virgin Win308.

For the shooting I do, I just can't justify the added expense of "premium" brass.
    Tangle likes this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Sponsorship, maybe?
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

The chart's a little "off" when trying to compare the popularity of LC brass.

I doubt that even a significant number of guys shooting in the precision rifle series (basis for chart) are using a caliber that LC makes......so in effect not a reflection of LC popularity by a long shot.

Long-Range Calibers & Cartridges: What The Pros Use - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

in 2017 for instance, neither 5.56 or .308 (7.62) made the list of popular calibers.

When it comes to military brass, it's pretty good. But to try to compare it to some of the better commercial stuff; Lapua, Nosler, Hornady and it's going to fall short. It's also CHEAP for once fired and plentiful.

I use WIN for one of my precision rifles, once match prepped, sorted by weight, and annealed, it's pretty good stuff with very good accuracy and single digit SDs. Best part is I don't loose sleep when I loose one.
    Tangle, airslot and msgt/ret like this.
    homo homini lupus est

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post

I doubt that even a significant number of guys shooting in the precision rifle series (basis for chart) are using a caliber that LC makes......so in effect not a reflection of LC popularity by a long shot.
    That's true and a good point. But I think the point remains valid that the top guns are using Hornady, Winchester, etc. That point being that these companies represent the choice of top guns.

...When it comes to military brass, it's pretty good. But to try to compare it to some of the better commercial stuff; Lapua, Nosler, Hornady and it's going to fall short. It's also CHEAP for once fired and plentiful.
    Yep - I get the "cheap". It's just funny to me when I see a guy at the range kick the Hornady/Winchester brass out of the way to get the LC. May just be a local thing. Makes me think this is one of those urban myths.

...I use WIN for one of my precision rifles, once match prepped, sorted by weight, and annealed, it's pretty good stuff with very good accuracy and single digit SDs. Best part is I don't lose sleep when I lose one.
    I've used a lot of Winchester brass lately - I like it! However, it's the same price as Sig brass, and I'm pretty sure the Sig brass is better. I need to shoot some more of it to be sure. BTW, the Sig comes annealed.
    msgt/ret, airslot and Chuck R. like this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Lead Moderator

I doubt that even a significant number of guys shooting in the precision rifle series (basis for chart) are using a caliber that LC makes......so in effect not a reflection of LC popularity by a long shot...
    @Chuck R. , This reminded me of the "development" I find myself in. I only have access to 500 yard ranges, and I find that's plenty challenging for me and my 223/556. The wave of 6 mm this and that and 6.5 mm has pretty well moved the lowly 223/5.56 into a no man's land of precision shooting.

Precision level rifles in 223/556 are getting hard to find. Ruger used to make their precision rifle in 5.56 but it was short lived. I happen to have one - thank goodness. Anyway, for us "short range" long range shooters, we really don't need a 6+ mm round designed for over 1,000 yards. Everytime I see a new "precision" rifle, it doesn't take long to discover it's not available in 556.

I understand the manufacturer's position - the game today is long range. There's just no call for 500 yard precision guns anymore.
    in Gun Free Zones.

I like Lake City brass because I buy loose thousand round cases of 5.56X45mm and 7.62X51mm surplus Lake City ammo. I gather mine up and donate it to the LGS. The LGS has quit buying brass. Demand for brass and reloading supplies has really dropped at the LGS. They now frequently take five gallon buckets of donated brass to sell at the recycle center.
    Tangle likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I think it's because so many shoot surplus mil ammo and leave the brass lying around. There's a lot to be picked up, thus the more common brass found. And then there are the lots of one-fired mil brass available online, etc. I've never found it to be any better or worse than any other. More an availability thing than a quality thing.
    SatCong and Tangle like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

This is actually the first time Iíve heard LC is popular. I just use mixed range brass for .223 though. I always hear of Hornady and Lapua as the standards for rifle brass, although my .308 brass is all Winchester.
    airslot and Tangle like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Over the years, if you had seen some of the brass I have seen from here in US and over seas maker's, LC brass look great. I still got 308 LC brass from late 60's and the 70's brass, that were fired in my M1A match rifle and later fired in my bolt gun. LC brass with my loads was able to hold under MOA at 600 yards, from my M1A match rifle with iron sites that was loaded 30 plus years ago. Why would the top shooters shoot LS brass anyway? Top shooters would get the best they can, in brass, bullets and primers. But some people just get carried away. But it still comes down to the shooter. I love it when we are shooting 1,000 yards and a young man is telling us what he has. All the latest and greatest gear and bullets, barrels and powder. But when it's over with one of the old men with older gear and rifles out shoot him real bad. Shooting friend did 2 7/8'' group on a 12'' plate, with four rounds on a steel plate at 1,000 yards and the young only hit the plate once out of 15 to 18 rounds.
    airslot likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    ...Top shooters would get the best they can, in brass, bullets and primers...
    Wonder why they do that?

...But some people just get carried away. But it still comes down to the shooter.
    I respectfully disagree...if it comes down to the shooter, why do all the top shooters get the best they can and spend $5000+ dollars on a gun and scope alone?

...I love it when we are shooting 1,000 yards and a young man is telling us what he has. All the latest and greatest gear and bullets, barrels and powder. But when it's over with one of the old men with older gear and rifles out shoot him real bad.
    I'd be careful with that. That young man may not be where he's going yet. He's following the path of top shooters. Top shooters, as you've stated, use the best they can get. I don't know that the young man will ever be a good shot, but I do know it won't be his gear holding him back.

...Shooting friend did 2 7/8'' group on a 12'' plate, with four rounds on a steel plate at 1,000 yards and the young only hit the plate once out of 15 to 18 rounds.
    Yeah, and I once hit a dime with 3 tries at 200 yards, then switched to a different AR, different ammo, different scope and hit a penny beside the dime in 3 tries. Six shots altogether. This wasn't a shoot until I hit something by chance.

But, here's the thing about that, and the same goes for your friend's group at 1000 yards. Those things happen. We can't do them on demand, and it in no way at all is indicative of our skill or the precision of our gun.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links