What happens to your guns and shooting stuff if you die?

This is a discussion on What happens to your guns and shooting stuff if you die? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This subject comes up occasionally: More often in a joke about your wife believing you actually paid what you told her you paid for a ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: What happens to your guns and shooting stuff if you die?

VIP Member

This subject comes up occasionally: More often in a joke about your wife believing you actually paid what you told her you paid for a gun or accessory. Folks, that is not funny if you die!

Several times just in our local area a man has died and "the wife" found his guns and stuff and had absolutely no idea what to do about them. In most cases she phones someone and that person helps her out by either buying them from her or selling them for her. In more cases than not she gets taken big time.

And, many times a woman wants to sell her deceased husband's gun because he told her they were worth quite a bit of money, only to be told honestly that they are all but worthless. One of our neighbors was such a woman. She was highly offended when Gramps told her that the guns were not worth much at all, so he suggested she take them to the lgs which had the best reputation and put them on consignment. Even here in the semi-boonies, no one wanted the things at any price!

This is no problem for us since we are both shooters and have no reason to be less than 100% up front about our stuff. But if we both get wiped out at or close to the same time, my kids will have no idea whatsoever what anything might be worth. So I keep an Excel spreadsheet. And any time a gun is bought or sold the sheet gets updated right away. I keep it on my two computers and also a hard copy in our safe and another hard copy in the safe deposit box at the bank. My sons know to look for this and approximate what percentage in general they can get if they choose to sell it all.

Here is how I have our inventory sheet set up. The few guns I left listed on it are mostly not ours anymore, but it's an example. This will work for you if you have 2 or 3 guns or 2 or 3 hundred guns.

What happens to your guns and shooting stuff if you die?-spreadsheet-inventory-example.gif

We should but we do not keep an inventory of ammunition. Shame on us. That would take more ongoing work as we use it up and buy more stock, but my kids have no idea of the price of ammo either!

There was also a recent thread about the importance of having legal documents for health care power of attorney and for health care directives - my personal feeling is that an inventory of your possessions is vitally important also.

Some wise people have a documented inventory of EVERYTHING they own with details and photos and that is an even better thing to do!!!! If you lose everything as many people have done lately in natural disasters, WHERE do you start when you need to file insurance claims?
    Pete63, PPS1980, CG11 and 11 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Iím not all that concerned with most of my stuff. My biggest worry is the NFA items, since you canít just sell that to any random person, and although my wife is on my trust, nobody else in my family knows anything about NFA laws.
    Pete63, Old Man, OldChap and 1 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    I am in the process now, of trying to figure out who gets what. I am not getting any younger, & being single (at the present time!), need to get this finished! Thanks for bringing this up, S.G.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

When I'm dead,i guess I'm not going to care what happens to my stuff,it's just "STUFF" and you can't take it with you.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

I have always kept track of our stuff, with the exception of ammunition. The way I see it the kids can always go to a local sporting goods store and get prices. Not that I have to worry because both my kids shoot just as much as I do.
    Instymp, OldChap and airslot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Iím not all that concerned with most of my stuff. My biggest worry is the NFA items, since you canít just sell that to any random person, and although my wife is on my trust, nobody else in my family knows anything about NFA laws.
    +1

flh
    I have no secrets from my wife she knows everything , "just ask her" I kidding....

We don't have a spreadsheet per say , we keep a file of important papers etc in the safe , one of the files "gun" has most the receipts of guns I have purchased , as for ammunition I load my own how much could that be worth ?

My wife would do a internet search to find the value of the guns , etc..if we both go together..

Our daughter is the Executor of our estate , I can only hope she does a internet search for the value of everything before things get sold off ....
    firerat and OldChap like this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Our town has a indoor firing range operated by a local non-profit which sponsors and hosts the local high school rifle club, as well as providing a 24 hours accessible firing range for us members. I am planning on donating my firearms to them, to be sold or used as they see fit for the good of the club.

The relatives who will most likely be stuck with the job of closing out my "estate" all are liberals who are marching to the hoplophobia drumbeat. If I leave it up to them they will probably have the things destroyed or turn them in at one of the big city gun buybacks.

I'll be wearing my carry gun and my wife can sell what she doesn't want to keep. Simple.

Iíve got detailed list of my firearms with their current values as well as where they came from. They will know if they are sentimental family heirlooms or something I ran across. I also have lists of magazines and ammo. Luckily though I have no children at this point I have a relative who is quite into firearms who I have passed on both my love for firearms and grasps the real reason for the 2A. He gets everything not specifically designated to go to my wife or the few friends which I feel have a connection to a specific item or another. Iíd leave them all to the wife but she either doesnít like or doesnít care about most of them.
    Old Man and OldChap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I have no secrets from my wife she knows everything , "just ask her" I kidding....

We don't have a spreadsheet per say , we keep a file of important papers etc in the safe , one of the files "gun" has most the receipts of guns I have purchased , as for ammunition I load my own how much could that be worth ?

My wife would do a internet search to find the value of the guns , etc..if we both go together..

Our daughter is the Executor of our estate , I can only hope she does a internet search for the value of everything before things get sold off ....
    I find that if one has a detailed list with make and model itís quite easy to update price regularly with some simple gunbroker searching. I try and update mine every year at the latest.

Distinguished Member Array Old Sarge's Avatar
    Thanks Shooter Granny, NOW if I could only figure out EXCEL.

Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    I'll be wearing my carry gun and my wife can sell what she doesn't want to keep. Simple.
    Loaded, or empty chamber? :)
    Old Man, OldChap, Vexmaw and 3 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Thanks Shooter Granny, NOW if I could only figure out EXCEL.
    I hear you! I had to have my son set it up for me the first time and even then, when I add a new line I get confused even though the formula for a specific cell shows up at the top. I also did a lot of internet research, trying to find something written by a second grade teacher on how to use Excel, figuring that someone who can teach at that level might simplify it enough for me!

BTW, the spreadsheet in the totally free Libre office suite is identical to Excel and you can open either one in either program. It's just as hard to figure out also.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Moderator
    Great idea, @ShooterGranny !

With digital cameras available so inexpensively, also consider a photographic record of all of your possessions for insurance purposes. It won't prove value, but it will prove possession. Put the back up hard drive / thumb drive in the bank safety box with other stuff you keep, and there you go. Voila!

Nancy and I did that several times in Colorado as fire season loomed.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; October 26th, 2018 at 09:46 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links