Thinking of a new semi rifle

This is a discussion on Thinking of a new semi rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking at picking up another rifle in 5.56 since adding another caliber would add more cost and annoy my better half more(I know my ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Thinking of a new semi rifle

I'm looking at picking up another rifle in 5.56 since adding another caliber would add more cost and annoy my better half more(I know my limits). I was looking at the Stag Arms M16A2 clone(my Army days). Price is reasonable, quality? It is basically a reward to myself for getting my mother moved close to us in assisted living, are they decent rifles? I always enjoyed firing my A2, of course no fun switch included.
    WebleyHunter and 5lima30ret like this.
    Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more. George S. Patton

Fun. But I think nothing will reward you like a lever action rifle!
    Tstone and forester58 like this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

Stag Arms are good rifles.
    Spokane1969 and 5lima30ret like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Never had a problem with any of my Stag Arms rifles.

Esse quam videri
    Spokane1969 and 5lima30ret like this.

I got my lefty Stag fullsize M16A4 style in 2008 and couldn't be happier.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Stag is a quality manufacturer Iíd say go for it if thatís the one that you like.
    5lima30ret likes this.

The only Stag Arms that I own is a AR-9 factory built dedicated 9 mm carbine. It will be one of my guns that I will never get rid of! The quality is VERY good in my Stag! The fit and finish is flawless and the best of the 4 different AR's I own!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I have had my Stag 2L Carbine length for about 11 or 12 years now. Great quality and my go to rifle. I would certainly buy another product from them. Supposedly, from what I have read about the company, they manufactured parts for some top companies for year before they started making their own rifles.

Lifetime transferable warranty
    Infinite barrel guarantee are both nice too.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Why not?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Spokane1969,

What are your intentions for your proposed purchase? Are you intending to hunt big game with it?

I could put a Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad .308 Win walnut version to a lotta big game hunting use except that for having an 18" barrel, it's one heavy sucker.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Mini 14 Stainless in the black polymer stock, sexxy.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Senior Moderator
    I saw a lot of no-shoot and other non-scoring targets hit by PCC shooters with AR-platform guns in last week's big Area 2 match, particularly when near targets (say 5-7 yards) were in the same array as "distant" targets at 20 yards. That clearly indicated a failure to allow for the offset between bore and line of sight, and this was among sport shooters who knew the target positions in advance.

We had "remember your offset" drilled into us during my carbine courses, but I'm not sure if in the fury of a "right now" defensive use I would instinctively allow for that. Thus for me, the ideal defensive carbine more closely resembles a traditional rifle such as an M1 carbine or Ruger PCC which do not have the exaggerated dimension between bore and LOS. Not that the OP specified a defensive purpose for his next purchase, just offering an observation to consider.
    LimaCharlie and 10thmtn like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I saw a lot of no-shoot and other non-scoring targets hit by PCC shooters with AR-platform guns in last week's big Area 2 match, particularly when near targets (say 5-7 yards) were in the same array as "distant" targets at 20 yards. That clearly indicated a failure to allow for the offset between bore and line of sight, and this was among sport shooters who knew the target positions in advance.

We had "remember your offset" drilled into us during my carbine courses, but I'm not sure if in the fury of a "right now" defensive use I would instinctively allow for that. Thus for me, the ideal defensive carbine more closely resembles a traditional rifle such as an M1 carbine or Ruger PCC which do not have the exaggerated dimension between bore and LOS. Not that the OP specified a defensive purpose for his next purchase, just offering an observation to consider.
    In a setting like this what are their scopes/red dots/optics normally sighted in for, and what are the scoring target sizes?

Esse quam videri

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

My close quarter home defense guns are a handgun or a shotgun. My AR-15, AR-10, and AK-47 rifles are for medium to long range use in a SHTF scenario.
    gasmitty and 5lima30ret like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I would definitely buy that rifle.

(You would hate to suffer from non-buyers' remorse, right?)
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links