First real gun for grandchild

This is a discussion on First real gun for grandchild within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, I have pretty much made up my mind already, but I like to hear from other "more experienced " grandfathers as well. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: First real gun for grandchild

OK, I have pretty much made up my mind already, but I like to hear from other "more experienced " grandfathers as well. I have three grandchildren - 8,6, and 4. The 4 year old is going to have to wait, and the six year old is learning with a BB gun and, to be honest, so far she has shown very little interest but she is a pretty good shot! The oldest has been shooting a BB gun for two years and likes shooting. She gets a kick out of hitting her pop cans. She is getting close to the time when she gets her first gun. I am strongly favoring a Chiappa or Henry lever action rifle in .22. I started with a single shot (Ithaca single shot lever action) when I was nine and I certainly understand the value of learning on a single shot, but it bored me. I think a repeater has its merits. I am not against an automatic, but I am not sure it is a good starting rifle for a kid. What do you guys think would be a good starter gun (by the way - my son lives in the country and has built a very nice, very safe shooting range for .22's and pistols - most shooting would be at targets ).
    CG11 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    Nothing says I love you more than a Henry.
    OldChap, Goldy49 and Smitty901 like this.

I do not recommend a Win. .458 magnum.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Both of my little guys started with a magazine fed bolt gun. 22. I like that when it is shot, the gun is effectively empty until we do something. However, I believe a Henry will do the same with the lever. I like the bolt a bit better as the barrel is easier to keep dawn range. Both of my guys started with Marlin/Glenfields.

I agree with your assessment of a single shot. Some kids will lose interest, and that little bolt gun can be just as safe with a magazine.
    ShooterGranny and Goldy49 like this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

The solution to boredom comes by using a mag-fed bolt action, loaded one round at a time until the youngster is comfortable with more rounds in the mag. That saves buying a dedicated single shot that will probably become a safe queen. I bought a CZ 452 like this one:

First real gun for grandchild-rimg.jpg

My whole family enjoys this one because it is super accurate and everyone enjoys learning to hit the bullseye.

The other gun everybody begs me to take to the range and is an excellent teaching gun is this little thing:

First real gun for grandchild-gsg_5_2_5.jpg

Original GSG MP5 SD 22LR. You can load this one one round at a time, but you have to use the magazine.
    Rock and Glock and airslot like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Im not grandfather, but I think a ruger 10/22 is a good choice because there is so much you can do with them.
    BlackhawkGirl likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

I agree with the posters who recommended a bolt action .22. It's enough gun to keep them interested and easier to learn to shoot in that they do not have to reload and lose the sight picture, etc. It's also a good way to learn some of the mechanics of feeding a gun and working with magazines. Having said that, I have no particular gun in mind, but do recognize the quality and excellent customer service from Ruger.
    Goldy49 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    I started my Daughter with a Cricket single shot bolt action because of the size. She got bored with it quickly and graduated to my Dad's Winchester 62A pump. She's 13 now and still enjoys shooting it, I think because it was her Grandpa's.

I started her with 22 revolver last year.
    airslot and Old Man like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Senior Moderator
    A rifle with a manual action is a great starting place, and when the action is open it stays open, unlike an autoloader (in spite of hold-open devices).

I prefer a detachable box magazine to tube-type simply because it's detachable. Easier to assess and confirm the unloaded condition than with the tube mag.

The CZ455 Scout is a great starter rifle, and it even comes with a single-shot adapter. I've got 2 455s and they are solid rifles at a great price point, and built well enough to pass along to the next generation. Lots of info on them over at rimfirecentral.com.
    dangerranger and Goldy49 like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I am a Grandfather that has purchased firearms for every Grandchild . Start them out on a Bolt action .22 work with them. As you do expose them to others and watch for signs they are ready . When they are up the game with higher end firearms.
    Few weeks back my 13 year old Granddaughter that hunts with a 10/22 and Ruger 243 for deer got a chance at the Ruger RPR 6.5 Creedmoore. She did so well when I was heading home a 150 miles away it stayed there so her Dad could work with her on it.
    Recently picked up a Ruger Precision Rimfire. Soon that will be in her hands it will challenge her to work harder. Getting the chance to pass on the joy of shooting to another generation. When they get a bit older watch the look on their face when you hand them a firearm used by their father or mother when they were at the same age, then send it home with them. When I look in my sons and daughter's vault it brings a smile to see the firearms they took with them when they went out on their own. Still used still as nice as the day they left.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

I started my three boys on a single shot bolt .22 at age 6 and that very same gun has started 4 grand kids to date with more on their way up. I still do a lot of my hunting with single shot shotguns and rifles. I guess I still haven't gotten bored.
    Old Man and ShooterGranny like this.

I am big fan of single shot .22's for kids (and even adults). My 12 year old son started on a dropping block hammered Savage at roughly 8 and is now progressing on his Expert NRA Smallbore rating using a single shot Savage bolt gun. He has a first year production Ruger Bearcat for sidearm training, including the full old school SA principle of load 1, skip 1, load 4, etc. for empty chamber safety.
    Goldy49 likes this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Regardless of action, an ill-fitting .22 will be miserable to learn to shoot. Unfortunately, most "kid-size" rifles are single shots, and frankly, I hated all the single shots I had to use. Do your research and I'm sure you'll find a suitable .22 the kid will learn to enjoy and treasure.
    airslot, Goldy49 and Old Man like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

sgb
    Cricket .22, safety is more important than how soon they'll outgrow it. JMHO
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'm another that looks for guns that are easily made safe and that I can see from a distance that they are safe. As much as I like lever guns, that kind of lets them out. Its hard to see that the mag is empty. Where a mag fed bolt gun is easy.... No mag and bolt open makes a safe gun that I can see from across the table. Once they are a little older introduce the lever gun.

One other thing about tube fed and long guns. All of my boys were small for their age. And could not hold up the extra weight of the loaded mag out front. Even by 10 or 11 they did not have the arm strength to hold a long barreled gun up. So we went from single shot guns to a Marlin 70PP or Papoose. It only had a 16" barrel and an abbreviated stock. That made it very light out front. Even today that's the gun they still want to shoot when we are plinking. Good Luck DR
    sgb likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links