Muzzleloader bore sight hole in one - Page 2

Muzzleloader bore sight hole in one

This is a discussion on Muzzleloader bore sight hole in one within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by viney266 ^^ In my state it is legal to hunt with a BP pistol as long as it meets certain criteria. So, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Muzzleloader bore sight hole in one

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by viney266 View Post
    ^^ In my state it is legal to hunt with a BP pistol as long as it meets certain criteria. So, yes, I have carried a pistol in a old school cross-draw rig for about 2 decades. I have never needed it for that follow up shot, my .58 zouave has always done the job. HOWEVER, about 4 years ago it finally happened. I had a 20 yard shot on a fat does during the end of muzzleloader season and managed to harvest a deer with my BP pistol. Yes, I am proud of that one :)
    I used to hunt rabbit with a .44 Remington cap n ball. My most memorable hunt was a 20-25yd shot at a cotton tail. it jumped straight up and dropped like a rock. When I picked it up it started kicking and got away. A couple days later my Grandpa spotted this bunny hopping across the yard. There was a perfect round hole through both ears. Never saw my Grandpa laugh so hard.
    graydude likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

So, not to detract from a nice shot, but a CVA scoped......in the 90's I had an opportunity to shoot with members of the US Muzzle Loading Team....IMO, the best shots in the world.
    Shot only flinter, patch round ball in competition from 25yrds' to 200 yrds' off hand ...was standing next to one team member, I'll never forget it....he opened a brand new box with a Mortimore rifle in it, loaded it and proceeded to blow out the "X" ring with 5 consecutive shots at 50 yrds. off hand open sights, never working up a load or ever shooting this gun before....they were all incredible shots, then all disappeared when war broke out in the middle east / Kuwait......couldn't imagine at the time what they could do with modern ammo and a scoped gun.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    So, not to detract from a nice shot, but a CVA scoped......in the 90's I had an opportunity to shoot with members of the US Muzzle Loading Team....IMO, the best shots in the world.
    Shot only flinter, patch round ball in competition from 25yrds' to 200 yrds' off hand ...was standing next to one team member, I'll never forget it....he opened a brand new box with a Mortimore rifle in it, loaded it and proceeded to blow out the "X" ring with 5 consecutive shots at 50 yrds. off hand open sights, never working up a load or ever shooting this gun before....they were all incredible shots, then all disappeared when war broke out in the middle east / Kuwait......couldn't imagine at the time what they could do with modern ammo and a scoped gun.
    I would rather hunt with my side lock carbine and even put fiber optic sights on mine....But i older i get the more i give in to my
    inline and scope...I guess we have to do what we have to do to keep hunting and make confident shots.

Even when my eyes were good i couldn't shoot like that
    graydude likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Well, I mostly use a smoothbore anyway......who needs sights.

Well, I most use a smoothbore anyway......who needs sights.
    Do they spit on the patch for ease of loading?

No spit.....

Yeah, my shooting a bull off the bench with a scope is nothing unique. But what surprised me is how close the bore sighting was dialed in. Iíve never had the first shot with a centerfire hit that close with a freshly mounted scope.

As for the ML team...that must have been fun to watch!
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Well, I mostly use a smoothbore anyway......who needs sights.
    I do. These eyes arenít so good anymore.

To me itís not so much the weapon as the time in the field. I like anything that puts venison on the table.

But this ML seems like fun, so Iíll give it a whirl.
    airslot likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Yeah, my shooting a bull off the bench with a scope is nothing unique. But what surprised me is how close the bore sighting was dialed in. Iíve never had the first shot with a centerfire hit that close with a freshly mounted scope.

As for the ML team...that must have been fun to watch!
    I did shoot at a couple events with some of them.....they shot great.....remember shooting a first time 200 yard off hand match, I raised my rifle and the front sight blotted out the target completely, couldn't see nothin'.....then I hear the range officers calling out the hits as they started firing....just ridiculous.....also when I attended the first ever event a fella tells me before hand if ya can't shoot a 48 out of a possible 50 / 5 bulls ....don't even bother.....well the two finalist ended up having a shoot-off as they both shot perfect 50's so they then went to counting the "X"'s in the bull....it was just nuts to see what these fellas were capable of doing with a flintlock rifle , patch round ball.....believe me it was amazing......World Class Shooters.
    graydude and airslot like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links