Muzzleloader bore sight hole in one

This is a discussion on Muzzleloader bore sight hole in one within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recently purchased a CVA Optima V2 muzzleloader with a Nikon scope mounted and bore sighted, and wow the bore sight was spot on. I hit ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Muzzleloader bore sight hole in one

Recently purchased a CVA Optima V2 muzzleloader with a Nikon scope mounted and bore sighted, and wow the bore sight was spot on.

I hit a range today just to break the seal on having never shot a smoke pole before, and to celebrate/mourn the passing of President Bush since we were given the day off. Yes, I went in the opposite direction of DC today, stayed on the back roads, and got a VA farm country reminder that our nation is a pretty darn good place to live. Had a little snow fall, saw some deer, and had some good conversations with normal Americans at the range.

So with a bit of excitement I let the first round fly, and when the smoke drifted aside I saw a 50 cal hole where a target dot had been moments before.

Ok, I'm hooked.

Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Congrats!

What happened on the second shot?
    OldChap likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Recently purchased a CVA Optima V2 muzzleloader with a Nikon scope mounted and bore sighted, and wow the bore sight was spot on.

I hit a range today just to break the seal on having never shot a smoke pole before, and to celebrate/mourn the passing of President Bush since we were given the day off. Yes, I went in the opposite direction of DC today, stayed on the back roads, and got a VA farm country reminder that our nation is a pretty darn good place to live. Had a little snow fall, saw some deer, and had some good conversations with normal Americans at the range.

So with a bit of excitement I let the first round fly, and when the smoke drifted aside I saw a 50 cal hole where a target dot had been moments before.

Ok, I'm hooked.

Very nice...Congrats on the new gun!
    graydude likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Congrats!

What happened on the second shot?
    Not another hole in one.

Second went an inch lower and left, and the third shot went 4 inches lower and right. A clean barrel kept hitting virtually the same spot, but once dirty the second and third shots strung vertically. But for hunting, that first shot out of a clean barrel would be spot on.

Those 777 pellets sure left a lot of debris in the barrel. It was even worse than cheap Tula ammo.

Will try out some other powder next time.
    OldChap likes this.

For the most part, muzzleloaders are one-shot wonders. Reloading isn't practical because whatever you miss will be long gone. They foul quickly, or at least mine did. I used a patched ball, and after the third shot, it was really tough trying to seat another shot. A few passes with a bore brush and a patch would revive it for another shot or two.
    OldChap and Old Man like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

For hunting I only plan on taking one shot. But while waiting to ensure an animal is down for good I usually nock another arrow or put another round in the chamber in case something else pops up. Knowing where a second shot on a fouled barrel would go could be valuable info.
    airslot and OldChap like this.

For hunting I only plan on taking one shot. But while waiting to ensure an animal is down for good I usually nock another arrow or put another round in the chamber in case something else pops up. Knowing where a second shot on a fouled barrel would go could be valuable info.
    I can get a accurate enough second and third shot on my gun...But after that i start getting flyers.
    Like i mentioned earlier i always finish up sighting in on a clean bore with every shot so it is the same
    when i load it to go hunting.

I have never had to take a second shot but if need be i know it will be accurate enough.
    graydude likes this.

I have a question from an ignorant flatlander. When you guys hunt with black powder, is it considered kosher to carry something like a .44 Colt BP revolver in case you need to relieve a suffering animal up close with a quick second shot? I imagine they don't allow you to carry a centerfire revolver for such purposes? Or do they?

And BTW I always found it extremely distressing to wash up my 1851 Colt Navy with warm soapy water. Something about putting water in a barrel just made me queasy!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I have a question from an ignorant flatlander. When you guys hunt with black powder, is it considered kosher to carry something like a .44 Colt BP revolver in case you need to relieve a suffering animal up close with a quick second shot? I imagine they don't allow you to carry a centerfire revolver for such purposes? Or do they?

And BTW I always found it extremely distressing to wash up my 1851 Colt Navy with warm soapy water. Something about putting water in a barrel just made me queasy!
    I use regular black powder cleaning patches that are pre treated with cleaner... T/C makes them....Not much of a soap and water guy either.
    OldChap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    I use regular black powder cleaning patches that are pre treated with cleaner... T/C makes them....Not much of a soap and water guy either.
    That shows you how long it's been since I shot my Navy!

At the risk of a terrible pun...those would keep a feller out of hot water with the missus!
    graydude and Cornhusker95 like this.

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

That shows you how long it's been since I shot my Navy!

At the risk of a terrible pun...those would keep a feller out of hot water with the missus!
    Oh my wife hates the smell when i clean mine...So i clean it at the range and wipe it down after i get home.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar

^^ In my state it is legal to hunt with a BP pistol as long as it meets certain criteria. So, yes, I have carried a pistol in a old school cross-draw rig for about 2 decades. I have never needed it for that follow up shot, my .58 zouave has always done the job. HOWEVER, about 4 years ago it finally happened. I had a 20 yard shot on a fat does during the end of muzzleloader season and managed to harvest a deer with my BP pistol. Yes, I am proud of that one :)
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

@viney266 Thanks. Good to know brother. I can no longer hunt - even if I was able to tromp through the woods physically, I just don't feel like it anymore.
    viney266 likes this.

Not another hole in one.

Second went an inch lower and left, and the third shot went 4 inches lower and right. A clean barrel kept hitting virtually the same spot, but once dirty the second and third shots strung vertically. But for hunting, that first shot out of a clean barrel would be spot on.

Those 777 pellets sure left a lot of debris in the barrel. It was even worse than cheap Tula ammo.

Will try out some other powder next time.
    777 is the best, I think. It does leave some fouling but it isn't sulfur based like black powder or Pyrodex so it isn't corrosive.
    graydude likes this.
    In the beginning was the word. Before all else, the word. So we speak as if words matter, because they do.
    ― Dean Koontz

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Can't argue with that first shot!
    Welcome to the club. Now that you have the bug, maybe we can get you into a traditional rifle?

Pretty typical results for follow-up shots with a dirty bore.

The inline is the only muzzle loader I use pellets in. I like Triple 7 because it gives me a bit more velocity than Pyrodex, but the fouling from Pyrodex seems to be a little softer and easier to clean up.

My traditional smoke poles all get a diet of FFF Black Powder except the .54 gets FF. I prefer FFFF for priming the flinter, but have used FFF with good results.
    graydude likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links