Is anyone here into shooting muzzleloaders? - Page 3

Is anyone here into shooting muzzleloaders?

This is a discussion on Is anyone here into shooting muzzleloaders? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you want a Pennsylvania style, go with a 40 caliber. They have taken more deer than you can sling a dead cat at. As ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: Is anyone here into shooting muzzleloaders?

If you want a Pennsylvania style, go with a 40 caliber. They have taken more deer than you can sling a dead cat at. As far as accuracy goes, itís tough to beat a 40.
    PAcanis, TSKnight and OD* like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post

Does PA still require traditional muzzleloaders for hunting?
    Sorry, I missed this question first time around.
    Flintlock has it's own season outside of muzzleloaders, but it coincides with late archery. That's why I can say I'll never hunt with it. Not this rifle anyway.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    If you want a Pennsylvania style, go with a 40 caliber. They have taken more deer than you can sling a dead cat at. As far as accuracy goes, itís tough to beat a 40.

Thanks. I'm liking the sounds of 40. Plus I haven't priced balls, but it would have to be cheaper the smaller you go (I'm guessing). And less recoil.
    And since I won't be using it for hunting deer, I don't need the 45 (PA is min of 44cal for deer with a ML).

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Thanks. I'm liking the sounds of 40. Plus I haven't priced balls, but it would have to be cheaper the smaller you go (I'm guessing). And less recoil.
    And since I won't be using it for hunting deer, I don't need the 45 (PA is min of 44cal for deer with a ML).
    Before you make a final decision, why donít you mosey on over to the muzzleloading forum? Thereís a great bunch of folks there, and they will tell you to pull up a stump and sit a spell. If youíre just looking at shooting, and not hunting, I would definitely go with a 40.
    PAcanis and TSKnight like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Thanks. I'll go have a browse.

I was trying to get an initial starting point. I don't usually let shopping for a new gun, or even bow, get to me. But the choice of ML's is daunting.

If you get a .45 or larger, you might not use it for hunting. If you get a .40--you won't be using it for hunting.

Just a thought. You never know what you may end up doing with it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Is anyone here into shooting muzzleloaders?-kimg0067.jpg

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    My first ML was a .32cal CVA Squirrel rifle. It has been almost 40 years since I caught the ML bug and still have my first rifle.
    Once you start they seem to get in your blood.
    My favorite ML is a Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Poor Boy 50cal with both flint and percussion locks that I built from a kit.

Over the years I've had everything from a 36cal Hopkins Allen Buggy rifle to a 75cal Brown Bess. The Hawken pattern rifles are nice to carry, but I prefer Pennsylvania pattern for target shooting.
    Cornhusker95, PAcanis and Old Man like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Here's my Poor Boy where it hangs in my office. Still wearing the percussion lock from deer season. I usually install the flint lock when I hang it up, just being lazy.
    Is anyone here into shooting muzzleloaders?-img_20190208_203311.jpg

The hardest part of building it was getting both locks tuned.
    Last edited by TSKnight; February 9th, 2019 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Fix picture
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member

Muzzle Loader Fever

@TSKnight I would love to see your Poor Boy, but the link doesn't open for me.

@PAcanis I have been shooting muzzle loaders since Dan Boone was knee high to a grass hopper. Pecatonica has some very good kits with good components from the best suppliers. Not sure where you live in PA, but you have a lot of great local suppliers, too, like Dixon's Muzzleloading over at Kempton. They host an annual gunmakers fair that has a lot of seminars where you could pick up some very valuable info and learn a lot. The fair dates for 2019 are from July 26-28. They have photos from last years fair posted on their web site. A lot of the suppliers and gunmakers will be at the fair, too. It would give you an opportunity to see a lot of components at one place and perhaps see some finished ones, too.

Dixons Muzzle Loading ? Muzzle Loading Shop ? Kempton, PA

I'm traveling tonight and can't take a picture of my own favorite PA gunsmith muzzleloader, but it is an Isaac Haines inspired .54 caliber flintlock with a 38 inch swamped barrel and wooden patch box that the original would have been made in the 1770-1780 time period in Lancaster County, PA. I put this one together from components and self-fabricated parts in a little over 80 hours one summer at a Conner's Prairie gunsmithing course at Fishers, Indiana. Another gunsmith did the finish for me after I had put it together when I became unable to complete it. It is the fifth from the top or fourth from the bottom of the attached photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is anyone here into shooting muzzleloaders?-gun-cabinet-mls.jpg  

Lead Moderator
    I've got a dozen or so muzzleloaders. My favorite is the Remington 1817 Flintlock.

Remington made 1000 of them as commemoratives and this one is number 667. This one is a .50 and it's accurate and elegant with almost perfect balance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is anyone here into shooting muzzleloaders?-dsc_0074.jpg  

Is anyone here into shooting muzzleloaders?-dsc_0073.jpg  

Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    I was lucky enough to learn from the "old guys" in the NSSA way back. I have flintlocks, several civil war era muzzleloaders ( I hunt with a Zouave), and even a matchlock. Revolvers of all shapes and sizes. My kids both have Hawkin rifles. Even a mortar or two :). So, yes. Ask away. without being rude I consider myself well versed.

Really nice seeing some pretty smokepoles in here. Now I don't feel so alone anymore :)

However, all but no use for modern inlines. I don't mind someone owning one, but they aren't for me at all.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I've got a dozen or so muzzleloaders. My favorite is the Remington 1817 Flintlock.

Remington made 1000 of them as commemoratives and this one is number 667. This one is a .50 and it's accurate and elegant with almost perfect balance.
    That is one nice Remington!
    OD* and PAcanis like this.

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    In Md, IMO, it's Gunmaker... Bill Shipman. His work is absolutely magnificent.........

BillShipman.com - gunmaker,muzzleloader,blackpowder,rifles,pistols,h unting

And I'm proud to own and shoot one of his handmade creations.........
    PAcanis, Old Man and TSKnight like this.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Who was it that said, " I wasn't planning on going for a run today.....then the Game Wardens came out of nowhere".

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    In Md, IMO, it's Gunmaker... Bill Shipman. His work is absolutely magnificent.........

BillShipman.com - gunmaker,muzzleloader,blackpowder,rifles,pistols,h unting
    Wow!
    OldVet, PAcanis and Old Man like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links