The Dumbing Down of the Firearms Industry - Page 4

The Dumbing Down of the Firearms Industry

This is a discussion on The Dumbing Down of the Firearms Industry within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by pskys2 Hmmm, Editors don't seem to be of much use in the MSM anymore. Do editors actually exist in the news media ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree358Likes

Thread: The Dumbing Down of the Firearms Industry

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pskys2 View Post
    Hmmm, Editors don't seem to be of much use in the MSM anymore.
    Do editors actually exist in the news media any more? Without even getting into paragraph structure, spelling, usage and grammar rules are grossly ignored.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    Wow! Four times! Holding that button down DOES work!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Expert. Where I grew up it was pronounced “ex-spirt”.

The old timers defined “ex-spirt” as a has been drop of water. Ie they didn’t much listen to anyone claiming to be one.

It was kind of nice come to think about it.

The comment that I hear frequently is “I’ve been doing it this way for (fill in the blank) years...”. My response is always “that doesn’t mean it’s right”
    CWOUSCG and Rockymonster like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Wow! Four times! Holding that button down DOES work!
    Do you have a tax stamp for that keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    Attachment 290630

The internet is a great thing, however....

Your level of expertise increases exponentially the further away that you are from folks who actually know you.
    Love that sign. A friend of mine recently went to their doctor, and began to tell him what she had read on the internet about some treatment. Her doctor said “let’s go with my medical degree instead of the internet!”
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Do editors actually exist in the news media any more? Without even getting into paragraph structure, spelling, usage and grammar rules are grossly ignored.
    My wife is an editor, specializing in APA style for doctoral dissertations. She would absolutely agree with you.

While spell check can be a handy tool, it is abundantly clear when someone relies strictly on it versus actually proof reading. I recently saw a meme that said the inventor of spell check had passed away, then “May he rust in piece.” This is the slightly sanitized version.
    NRA Life Member

It's not only the Internety! As an employee at a gunshop, I often cringe at the advice some fellow employees offer our customers. I'm an official senior citizen, with more than a few years of hunting, shooting and law enforcement under my belt. Consequently, I have few "absolutes" in my preferences and recommendations. There is a tremendous variety of firearms available, and for good reason: one size does not fit all!

Our more experienced customers may ask for input, but will expect reasonable explanation/justification, as well. The newbies are lambs to the slaughter, if they happen to encounter the wrong sales rep.

Clue to the inexperienced: If a salesman is absolutely certain that one item is superior to all others, for all people, the salesman is selling ... garbage. Often, there are incentives for selling certain items, and those items instantly become the very best, according to some sales reps.

If the rep questions you regarding your experience, intended use, and such factors, it's a good sign. If the rep recommends you try out a couple of firearms, and also identifies a few options that fit your intended use/needs, it's even better!

"Buyer Beware" applies as much as it ever did.
    Snub44, airslot and BamaT like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links