ATI 1911 Commander...our experience!

This is a discussion on ATI 1911 Commander...our experience! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am going to call this a review…in reality it is probably better described as our experience with this gun. We recently made an impulse ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: ATI 1911 Commander...our experience!

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar

I am going to call this a review…in reality it is probably better described as our experience with this gun. We recently made an impulse purchase of an ATI 1911 Commander in .45acp. I guess I need to state that my son and I are complete 1911 fanboys…not to the exclusion of other guns, we just fully appreciate all of the attributes that make the 1911 what it is.

We own a pretty wide selection of 1911’s from CHEAP CHEAP to semi expensive..no customs, just higher end factory guns. Anyway, we have had GREAT service from our Rock Islands…we have shot the punk out of them and had no problems other than keeping them fed…just load’em up and shoot’em. Well, with our experience with one Phillippine gun maker, we decided to give this Commander a try.

We ordered the gun and got in, $420 after all fees, get it out of the box and all seems to be fine with the gun. The gun came with one 8rd mag and the typical packing grease. Typical 1911 breakdown, no surprises there. All of the edges on the gun were smooth and well fitted. The action was pretty tight, gun was cleaned and action was worked a good bit before the first round of firing. Working the action seemed to limber it up some so, when the rain stopped, we were ready to go out and see how it would run. First range session yielded no surprises…gun ran flawlessly for 100 or so rounds we put through it…ball and defensive ammo consisting mostly of 230gr rounds. On our next firing, we had several different brands, some reloads and 185gr defensive rounds…gobbled them all up. It now has approx 500rds of every type ammo with the exception of cast flatnose…and they will be run through it on the next time out. At this point, the gun has been perfect…to the point that my son has actually carried it several times over the last 2 months.

Ok..for the cons…the “parkerized” finish on the gun is acceptable…not terrible…just not great. The sights are adequate...a modified GI setup...could be better for my old eyes. The gun shot a little low…3” at 25yds…my son applied a judicious amount of file to correct that…remember, this is a sub-$400 gun…and you really can’t tell the sight was worked…but it now shoots to the sights at 25. The grips were not good…they were a little too thick and the checkering was too sharp…a cheap set of Pachmyers fixed that. That is about it for the cons.

Overall, it is a great CHEAP gun. Now, I am not comparing this gun to any higher grade gun…but it is a 1911 that functions very well, is accurate and a load of fun to shoot. Would I take this gun to a gun fight…I ain’t going to a gun fight if I know it in advance. Would I carry this gun with my lifestyle and likelihood of encountering hostilities…without a doubt…I have seen nothing to make me question whether or not it will run. Would I recommend this gun to someone for them to carry…yes, if they shoot the gun enough to satisfy themselves that it is reliable…same as with any other gun. And, I would certainly recommend this gun to someone that is wanting to give a 1911 a try without dropping a lot of money…this is one that will create another fanboy and do it without straining the budget.

ATI 1911 Commander...our experience!-48059189_1100371033469340_4367607729984897024_n.jpg
    Last edited by Shootnlead; March 1st, 2019 at 02:45 PM.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Nice review/ experience with the commander. Keep us up dated as you shoot it more.
    Shootnlead and OD* like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    I am going to call this a review…in reality it is probably better described as our experience with this gun. We recently made an impulse purchase of an ATI 1911 Commander in .45acp. I guess I need to state that my son and I are complete 1911 fanboys…not to the exclusion of other guns, we just fully appreciate all of the attributes that make the 1911 what it is.

We own a pretty wide selection of 1911’s from CHEAP CHEAP to semi expensive..no customs, just higher end factory guns. Anyway, we have had GREAT service from our Rock Islands…we have shot the punk out of them and had no problems other than keeping them fed…just load’em up and shoot’em. Well, with our experience with one Phillippine made gun, we decided to give this Commander a try.

We ordered the gun and got in, $420 after all fees, get it out of the box and all seems to fine with the gun. The gun came with one 8rd mag and the typical packing grease. Typical 1911 breakdown, no surprises there. All of the edges on the gun were smooth and well fitted. The action was pretty tight, gun was cleaned and action was worked a good bit before the first round of firing. Working the action seemed to limber it up some so, when the rain stopped, we were ready to go out and see how it would run. First range session yielded no surprises…gun ran flawlessly for 100 or so rounds we put through it…ball and defensive ammo consisting mostly of 230gr rounds. On our next firing, we had several different brands, some reloads and 185gr defensive rounds…gobbled them all up. It now has approx 500rds of every type ammo with the exception of cast flatnose…and they will be run through it on the next time out. At this point, the gun has been perfect…to the point that my son has actually carried it several times over the last 2 months.

Ok..for the cons…the “parkerized” finish on the gun is acceptable…not terrible…just not great. The gun shot a little low…3” at 25yds…my son applied a judicious amount of file to correct that…remember, this is a sub-$400 gun…and you really can’t tell the sight was worked…but it now shoots to the sights at 25. The grips were not good…they were a little too thick and the checkering was too sharp…a cheap set of Pachmyers fixed that. That is about it for the cons.

Overall, it is a great CHEAP gun. Now, I am not comparing this gun to any higher grade gun…but it is a 1911 that functions very well, is accurate and a load of fun to shoot. Would I take this gun to a gun fight…I ain’t going to a gun fight if I know it in advance. Would I carry this gun with my lifestyle and likelihood of encountering hostilities…without a doubt…I have seen nothing to make me question whether or not it will run. Would I recommend this gun to someone for them to carry…yes, if they shoot the gun enough to satisfy themselves that it is reliable…same as with any other gun. And, I would certainly recommend this gun to someone that is wanting to give a 1911 a try without dropping a lot of money…this is one that will create another fanboy and do it without straining the budget.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48059189_1100371033469340_4367607729984897024_n.jpg 
Views:	685 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	290768
    That's a very nice report, @Shootnlead . I had this gun myself, only in 9mm. Got it about a year and a half ago. I LOVED the pistol, and mine worked perfectly.
    Well, I'll qualify that: it was a bit picky about feeding hollowpoints, but as long as the bullet was shaped like a ball round - NO PROBLEM.
    Mine shot a bit too low at 7 or 8 yards. I painted a mark on the front sight, and it showed me how high to elevate the front sigh above the rear.

That worked like a charm, and here's my second target, a couple days after I got the gun:

This is firing two-handed at about one round per second, 7 or 8 yards, standing.

Fit and finish were very nice, and so was the trigger. I would get another one in a New York minute.
    BTW, you didn't mention it but it has a barrel bushing, like a Colt. This differs from Rocky's Commander-sized pistol, and the trigger is more like the one on my Colt Commander (.45) which is to say, REALLY sweet !

But I let this one go. The ONLY reason I did was that my buddy in Oregon needed it, and I had many other options. It was his Christmas present.

Here it is with the stock grips. They're "adequate" but I didn't care much for them.

Here's another foto with the Altamont rattlesnake grips I put on. LOVE these grips !

I would buy another one in a heartbeat, except that I have the G.I. .45 model on lay away now.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    I friend bought one and brought it to me for updates, on his the barrel was sticking to the bushing after firing, had to use tremendous force to take down for cleaning, a Wilson bushing solved that, the thumb safety was junk, another Wilson from my spare parts, I found every steel part was soft like there was no heat treating at all, that it was unbillable accurate and reliable, I will give ATI, AAA+++ on that
    Shootnlead, OD*, Old Man and 1 others like this.

I have this pistol and like it a lot, it is accurate and reliable. When I carry a1911 most of the time its this one. For the money I would say this is a very good gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
    I friend bought one and brought it to me for updates, on his the barrel was sticking to the bushing after firing, had to use tremendous force to take down for cleaning, a Wilson bushing solved that, the thumb safety was junk, another Wilson from my spare parts, I found every steel part was soft like there was no heat treating at all, that it was unbillable accurate and reliable, I will give ATI, AAA+++ on that
    Over the years I have read that some of the internals were not as hard as those on higher end guns...although, I haven't read of that being the case in the last 5yrs..but it may be.

That was not a factor in our decision to buy this gun and it won't be a factor in our keeping and shooting it and at the present, it has had no ill effect on the performance. If at some point it does...we will address it then.

Just out of curiosity, how did you test the hardness of the metal...do you test it like we test the hardness of cast bullets?
    Old Man likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    That's a very nice report, @Shootnlead . I had this gun myself, only in 9mm. Got it about a year and a half ago. I LOVED the pistol, and mine worked perfectly.
    Well, I'll qualify that: it was a bit picky about feeding hollowpoints, but as long as the bullet was shaped like a ball round - NO PROBLEM.
    Mine shot a bit too low at 7 or 8 yards. I painted a mark on the front sight, and it showed me how high to elevate the front sigh above the rear.

That worked like a charm, and here's my second target, a couple days after I got the gun:

This is firing two-handed at about one round per second, 7 or 8 yards, standing.

Fit and finish were very nice, and so was the trigger. I would get another one in a New York minute.
    BTW, you didn't mention it but it has a barrel bushing, like a Colt. This differs from Rocky's Commander-sized pistol, and the trigger is more like the one on my Colt Commander (.45) which is to say, REALLY sweet !

But I let this one go. The ONLY reason I did was that my buddy in Oregon needed it, and I had many other options. It was his Christmas present.

Here it is with the stock grips. They're "adequate" but I didn't care much for them.

Here's another foto with the Altamont rattlesnake grips I put on. LOVE these grips !

I would buy another one in a heartbeat, except that I have the G.I. .45 model on lay away now.
    I like those slabs, too.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

Nice review and report, Shootnlead, thanks for taking the time to post it. Sounds like a fun weapon there.
    Shootnlead likes this.

VIP Member
    hopefully they are polishing the feedramps now.
    Lifetime NRA Member,collector,reloader.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    hopefully they are polishing the feedramps now.
    I don't know about others...but this one feeds anything we have put in it...ball and hp. We are going to try the cast flatnose ..I don't anticipate a problem with them.
    Last edited by Shootnlead; March 1st, 2019 at 02:26 AM.
    OD* and Old Man like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Nice report.
    Shootnlead likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Technically the ATI "Commander-size" 1911. Colt owns the Commander name.

Or so I've read.
    ca survivor likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Technically the ATI "Commander-size" 1911. Colt owns the Commander name.

Or so I've read.
    ATI can't call it Commander...but I can.

But I think you are correct about the copyright.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

Distinguished Member
    @Shootnlead thanks for the report. It looks like your experience has been validated again with the Philippine 1911s. I have had a couple of the Philippine 1911s and haven't had any significant issues with them either. The grips and roll marks are the minor things I would like for them to change and RIA has addressed the billboard roll mark they use to use. I don't guess I have enough rounds through any of them to observe wear on any parts that may be "soft".
    Shootnlead and OD* like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    ATI can't call it Commander...but I can.

But I think you are correct about the copyright.
    Well, heck ! If HE can call it a Commander, then I can too ! Just watch me do it.
    Kenny53 likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links