1911 Comparison - Page 5

1911 Comparison

This is a discussion on 1911 Comparison within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ShooterGramps Take a close look at the Rock Island Armory 1911's and read the reviews. Nice offerings and you can't beat the ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 115
Like Tree559Likes

Thread: 1911 Comparison

  1. #61
    VIP Member
    Array PhaedrusIV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,662
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGramps View Post
    Take a close look at the Rock Island Armory 1911's and read the reviews. Nice offerings and you can't beat the price!
    I will certainly agree with ShooterGramps on the above statement !



    msgt/ret, CWOUSCG, OD* and 7 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

  2. #62
    VIP Member
    Array ThirdShift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Posts
    5,696
    This thread has seriously made me think about pulling the trigger on a Springfield Range Officer.

    Can someone compare the Springfield RO to the Colt Gold Cup National Match? Is there a huge difference between the two? Like day and night?
    CWOUSCG, OD*, Old Man and 3 others like this.

  3. #63
    OD*
    OD* is offline
    Senior Moderator
    Array OD*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Staff lounge
    Posts
    21,264
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdShift View Post
    This thread has seriously made me think about pulling the trigger on a Springfield Range Officer.

    Can someone compare the Springfield RO to the Colt Gold Cup National Match? Is there a huge difference between the two? Like day and night?
    IMO, the RO Elite Target would be compatible to the Gold Cup.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

    "Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."




    NRA Patron Member

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #64
    VIP Member Array WC145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Downeast Maine
    Posts
    2,137
    I've owned lots of 1911s, including Springfield Loadeds, TRPS, Mil-specs, Champions, and more, stock and custom. Great guns, they'll do all you ask of them and more. In spite of that I recently traded away my last one.

    I've never owned a Dan Wesson but have a friend who is a CZ/DW dealer and I've gotten to handle and play with and shoot them and while they're also great and they don't do a thing for me. I don't have any interest in owning one.

    I'm Colt fan. I own a bunch of them and they are terrific guns, I prefer the feel and balance of a Colt. If I were in your position the Wiley Clapp Gov't would definitely be a contender. I have Wiley Clapp Commander that I bought for custom build and they're well put together, nicely fit and finished, and built to work. Another one you really should think about is the Colt Competition. I have a two tone version that I bought last summer and it's a lot of gun for the money, I have a habit of messing with my pistols, sending them off for work and I'm running my Competition stock except for a couple of minor improvements. One of them would make a great all around piece for carry, defense, competition, whatever you want to do with it. I gave just $800 for mine brand new and couldn't be happier with it.

    OD*, msgt/ret, Pete63 and 7 others like this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

  6. #65
    OD*
    OD* is offline
    Senior Moderator
    Array OD*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Staff lounge
    Posts
    21,264
    Nice!

    If I could get a WC or a Comp for 8 bills, I'd change my recommendation in a flash, Scott.
    msgt/ret, WC145, Pete63 and 5 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

    "Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."




    NRA Patron Member

  7. #66
    VIP Member Array WC145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Downeast Maine
    Posts
    2,137
    I got mine from Smokey Mountain Guns and Ammo. The blued and two tone versions are sold out but they have stainless S70 Competitions in .45 for $899, and I think they have free shipping.
    https://www.smga.com/colt-mfg/govern...on-series-2341
    OD*, Pete63, Gabill and 1 others like this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

  8. #67
    OD*
    OD* is offline
    Senior Moderator
    Array OD*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Staff lounge
    Posts
    21,264
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I got mine from Smokey Mountain Guns and Ammo. The blued and two tone versions are sold out but they have stainless S70 Competitions in .45 for $899, and I think they have free shipping.
    https://www.smga.com/colt-mfg/govern...on-series-2341
    Thanks Scott.

    I don't think they offer the two-tone at all anymore.
    Gabill, WC145 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

    "Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."




    NRA Patron Member

  9. #68
    VIP Member
    Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,789
    Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    That just changed the dynamic. Significantly!



    I'm looking for both! I'd like something that looks good and get a good price. But I also want one to eventually carry, it will be a range gun for a while but will go to the EDC rotation.

    I guess I should clarify what I'm looking for. I like blue guns, I have and have had SS and nothing against it but not what I'm looking for yet. Colt has a rep for excellent blueing so I am leaning a bit that way but the DW guys are persuasive! I want adjustable sights, low light preferred but not required. I also want sights that are suitable for CC, i.e. smooth edges that won't grab a shirt. And has to be .45 ACP, might go .38 Super to appease Gatorbait but not this time. And all for under $1500! This should explain why I'm looking at the ones I mentioned in the OP.
    My DW Commander is a 38 Super and I never tire of itís perfume. I drew the line on myself and decided the next one would be 38 Super and while I was at it, a bobtail Dan Wesson. I was, for a fleeting moment in time, very wise.

    ETA that having a pony, or having a lot of them, is a fine thing. My first was a Colt, albeit a 1991A1...and Iím not ashamed.
    Pete63, CWOUSCG, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.
    Savage Heartland

    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

  10. #69
    VIP Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Baja Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,000
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I've owned lots of 1911s, including Springfield Loadeds, TRPS, Mil-specs, Champions, and more, stock and custom. Great guns, they'll do all you ask of them and more. In spite of that I recently traded away my last one.

    I've never owned a Dan Wesson but have a friend who is a CZ/DW dealer and I've gotten to handle and play with and shoot them and while they're also great and they don't do a thing for me. I don't have any interest in owning one.

    I'm Colt fan. I own a bunch of them and they are terrific guns, I prefer the feel and balance of a Colt. If I were in your position the Wiley Clapp Gov't would definitely be a contender. I have Wiley Clapp Commander that I bought for custom build and they're well put together, nicely fit and finished, and built to work. Another one you really should think about is the Colt Competition. I have a two tone version that I bought last summer and it's a lot of gun for the money, I have a habit of messing with my pistols, sending them off for work and I'm running my Competition stock except for a couple of minor improvements. One of them would make a great all around piece for carry, defense, competition, whatever you want to do with it. I gave just $800 for mine brand new and couldn't be happier with it.

    Thank you for an informative post. I didn't even look at the Comp series as I thought they would not be what I'm looking for. I was wrong! Now if I can just find one..........
    WC145, msgt/ret, OD* and 2 others like this.


    Send bachelors and come heavily armed.
    The difference between a Socialist and a Communist is that the Socialist doesn't have all the guns yet.
    Black Rifles Matter

  11. #70
    VIP Member
    Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,789
    Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    Thank you for an informative post. I didn't even look at the Comp series as I thought they would not be what I'm looking for. I was wrong! Now if I can just find one..........
    Iíve given these a serious look and do like what I see. Iím pretty sure Gman grabbed up one of them and posted about it some months ago. In fact, that might have been the ďI left my sidearm arm on a snowy wood pileĒ gun. If so, we know theyíll pass the stress test. WC made a good pick, these appear to be all around usage type guns.
    Gabill, CWOUSCG, Sister and 1 others like this.
    Savage Heartland

    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

  12. #71
    OD*
    OD* is offline
    Senior Moderator
    Array OD*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Staff lounge
    Posts
    21,264
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Iíve given these a serious look and do like what I see. Iím pretty sure Gman grabbed up one of them and posted about it some months ago. In fact, that might have been the ďI left my sidearm arm on a snowy wood pileĒ gun. If so, we know theyíll pass the stress test. WC made a good pick, these appear to be all around usage type guns.
    You would be correct; https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...lt-stable.html
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

    "Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."




    NRA Patron Member

  13. #72
    VIP Member Array Gabill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,711
    Looks like Colts getting a little love!
    OD*, PhaedrusIV, CWOUSCG and 3 others like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

  14. #73
    VIP Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Baja Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,000
    Well, I pulled the trigger! (Pun intended) I must say with all the comments it made it real hard to choose, lotta love for Dan Wesson around here but in the end Colt won out. I ordered a Competition from Buds, thanks WC145 for pointing out that model. I saw the drop down menu on Colts site but figured I wasn't going to compete so why bother looking! I also see I got in under the price increase! They just raised the price from $793 to $910!

    So, order is "processing" and when it gets here it gets here. I'll be pleasantly surprised if its here this weekend but I figure Tuesday. Thanks to all for some really good advice, comments, and sharing first hand experience with the various makes and models.


    Send bachelors and come heavily armed.
    The difference between a Socialist and a Communist is that the Socialist doesn't have all the guns yet.
    Black Rifles Matter

  15. #74
    VIP Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Baja Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,000
    One other thing. I commented to Sister that some of you are as or more excited about me buying this gun than I am! The enthusiasm here for a 1911 is amazing.


    Send bachelors and come heavily armed.
    The difference between a Socialist and a Communist is that the Socialist doesn't have all the guns yet.
    Black Rifles Matter

  16. #75
    VIP Member
    Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,789
    Quote Originally Posted by CWOUSCG View Post
    Well, I pulled the trigger! (Pun intended) I must say with all the comments it made it real hard to choose, lotta love for Dan Wesson around here but in the end Colt won out. I ordered a Competition from Buds, thanks WC145 for pointing out that model. I saw the drop down menu on Colts site but figured I wasn't going to compete so why bother looking! I also see I got in under the price increase! They just raised the price from $793 to $910!

    So, order is "processing" and when it gets here it gets here. I'll be pleasantly surprised if its here this weekend but I figure Tuesday. Thanks to all for some really good advice, comments, and sharing first hand experience with the various makes and models.
    Gotta love keeping a buck twenty in your pocket. Buys mags.
    OD* and gatorbait51 like this.
    Savage Heartland

    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •