I thought it odd

I thought it odd

This is a discussion on I thought it odd within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First time I've ordered loaded ammo online and it got delivered today. As I mentioned in another thread, I bought a Sig P365 last weekend. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: I thought it odd

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar

I thought it odd

First time I've ordered loaded ammo online and it got delivered today. As I mentioned in another thread, I bought a Sig P365 last weekend. Given the low margin on 9mm ammo, I decided to order loaded ammo online rather than my usual routine of reloading. The ammo was shipped via UPS and I received an email when it was delivered. Got the email so I texted my wife, "my package come?". She answered no, not to the door anyway but she'd go check if they just dropped it off in the driveway. Nope, not there either. Ok, hop in the car and drive down to the mailbox, about a 1/2 mile on a rural road. Ah ha! There's a box on the ground next to the mailbox. Yep, that's it!

Ok, I thought it a little odd that a shipment of ammo would just get dropped off at a mailbox some distance from the physical address. It seems to me that a signature would be required, don't you have to be 21 to purchase handgun ammunition? I noticed on the UPS email I received that "Direct delivery" was requested. I'm not really sure what "direct delivery" is but if I were to guess, it would mean to a physical address at least.

For those who buy ammo online, what are your experiences?
    Gabill and CG11 like this.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

VIP Member
    I always note "leave at front door, no signature required" in the comments section, and check the "no signature required" in the delivery instructions. My front door is only eighty yards from the mailbox. I've never had any problems with deliveries. The UPS driver knows me, and has commented on the amount of ammo I have delivered.
    airslot, Gabill, OneGunTX and 6 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

He always comes through my gate and sets it right in front of the door but, he also always knocks before leaving it. We use the tracking so it does not sit out even though its fairly hidden unless you come through the gate. Also, we have the same UPS guy who knows us and is also a "gun guy". A lot of places give you the "signature required "option as well.
    Gabill, airslot, Haywood and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have all my ammo/gun parts shipped to where I work. There's always someone to sign for it and I know it won't walk away. Even if I'm off when it shows up I get a call to tell me it's there.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

They always drop mine, just inside my gate. One time, the outer shipping box busted open, but luckily, my ammo packages, are usually double boxed.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    CavemanBob likes this.

I have my Ammo delivered to a UPS store where I have a private mailbox. Itís signed for but I am sure some of the kids who work there are under 18. None of the places I buy from online actually require a signature. Itís the customerís choice.
    CavemanBob likes this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

USPS is the worst, if you want it to your door and/or signed for go FedEx or UPS.
    My USPS won't even leave things in the Parcel Box I put up next to my mail box. If it wouldn't fit in my large mail box I'd get a note. When I was still working would have to take off a day and get it, as they were closed when I left and got home and only open on Saturdays for an hour and most times that would be past the 3 days.
    Remember Chevy Chase and his experience with the USPS in "Funny Farm". kind of fits what my carriers seem like!
    OldChap, msgt/ret and Any Day Now like this.

Senior Moderator
    I get my ammo from the LGS, but I have mailed thousand round boxes to my son in IN without difficulty...he lives out in the country. Just dropped off by his mailbox on a dirt road.
    I should mention that even the mailman and UPS drivers fear his dog...no one has ever tried stealing packages.
    msgt/ret, Gabill, airslot and 1 others like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: ďThe prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.Ē

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pskys2 View Post
    USPS is the worst, if you want it to your door and/or signed for go FedEx or UPS.
    My USPS won't even leave things in the Parcel Box I put up next to my mail box. If it wouldn't fit in my large mail box I'd get a note. When I was still working would have to take off a day and get it, as they were closed when I left and got home and only open on Saturdays for an hour and most times that would be past the 3 days.
    That's a function of your local USPS personnel. I'm sure my mail lady hates my guts by now as every couple of months I get a couple of thousand bullets delivered by the postal service, and less frequently, cases of loaded ammo. Flat-rate shipping by USPS spanks FedEx and UPS prices badly.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That's a function of your local USPS personnel. I'm sure my mail lady hates my guts by now as every couple of months I get a couple of thousand bullets delivered by the postal service, and less frequently, cases of loaded ammo. Flat-rate shipping by USPS spanks FedEx and UPS prices badly.
    So NOW we know why they're going broke !
    OldChap, bmcgilvray and msgt/ret like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Cabelas had a sale on ammo with free shipping and I ordered it for home delivery. The delivery service just left it on my front porch in a plain box, no problems. I guess it depends on where you live. I might not do it in a neighborhood that has "porch pirates."
    OldChap and msgt/ret like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I love free shipping. I've not had any prob so far with UPS or FedEX.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Only ordered ammo by mail once, difficult to find EDC locally. No issues, but delivered to commercial address, so went to the office. Only have issues on Saturday and Sunday deliveries.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Iíve had Thousands of rounds delivered. A few years back the Fed-Ex driver asked what the hell are you doing with all this ammo? I said, shoot it. I gave him a card for the Shop I worked at. He stopped in looked around, talked for a while, came back a few days later and bought a 22. That started him shooting.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

When you used to be able to mail order ammo in California, UPS would usually make some effort to hide the package from street view. Never had a problem.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links