School resource officers gun discharges - Page 3

School resource officers gun discharges

This is a discussion on School resource officers gun discharges within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by richardbrentm1 A "holstered gun" does not fire and hit "the wall behind", even if it could fire all by itself. crappy reporting ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: School resource officers gun discharges

  1. #31
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,364
    Quote Originally Posted by richardbrentm1 View Post
    A "holstered gun" does not fire and hit "the wall behind", even if it could fire all by itself. crappy reporting of erroneous "facts" that ultimately makes schools less safe by giving the "anti carry" folks ammo by saying that even pros should not carry.

    Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk
    Not necessarily. The holster could have been canted.
    graydude and maxwell97 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

  2. #32
    VIP Member Array graydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    3,802
    Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post
    I know how it happened...he put his finger on the trigger and pulled it.
    Unless you were a witness or have evidence thatís just a guess. A very logical one, but still a guess.

    Itís also possible he snagged a piece of clothing while holstering the gun, and the trigger was pulled by the clothing while shifting body position.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

  3. #33
    Senior Member Array Holmes375's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    ....Itís also possible he snagged a piece of clothing while holstering the gun, and the trigger was pulled by the clothing while shifting body position.
    This would be my wager. Holster obstruction gone awry during body movement.

    I've taken to ordering my kydex AIWB holsters in a light gray instead of black the last couple of years. The lighter color allows a better visual inspection as I holster.
    Havok, Pete63 and graydude like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34
    VIP Member
    Array spclopr8tr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    SE Tennessee
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Unless you were a witness or have evidence thatís just a guess. A very logical one, but still a guess.

    Itís also possible he snagged a piece of clothing while holstering the gun, and the trigger was pulled by the clothing while shifting body position.
    Even so, I'd still put that in the category of negligent discharge as it would mean he negligently holstered the gun resulting in an unintentional discharge.
    ShooterGranny and matthew03 like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

    Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

  6. #35
    Senior Member Array Psycho41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    948
    Video just prior to the incident has been released.

    Name:  semi-auto-gun-spinning.gif
Views: 52
Size:  232.5 KB
    Struckat, Frodebro, OD* and 3 others like this.

  7. #36
    VIP Member
    Array spclopr8tr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    SE Tennessee
    Posts
    3,915
    Well, if there was an ulterior motive to poison the teacher carry bill winding through the Florida legislature, it didn't work. Today the legislature passed the teach carry bill and De Santis is expected to sign it into law.

    https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/flor...n-bill-2031601
    Havok, graydude, Struckat and 3 others like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

    Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

  8. #37
    VIP Member Array Struckat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Lurking
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    Based on this quote even though it sounds like double talk ""The weapons are not carried with a safety mechanism, per se, they are carried ready to use. Weapons are fully loaded armed and round is chambered in case of an emergent situation.", it sounds like no manual safety is involved.
    In answer to your question "Do manual safeties block the striker/firing pin or just trigger movement? ", it depends on the manufacturer/model, some do some don't. Actually a couple don't do either, the simply disengage the trigger from the disconnector/trigger bar and the trigger just basically floats free.
    Yes I understand that the officers gun did not have a safety, I was responding Webís safety comment.

    I do find it strange that the sear engagement and the firing pin block would fail at the same time while in the holster. If it was a Sig 320, I am pretty sure it has a pin block.
    Smells fishy to me.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

  9. #38
    flh
    flh is offline
    VIP Member Array flh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New York...NOT ...Noo Yawk
    Posts
    2,068
    I'm all for arming our teachers


    Floridaís House of Representatives voted 65 to 47 to pass the bill after hours of debate over two days in which the Republican majority thwarted Democratic efforts to amend, stall or kill the measure. Floridaís Senate approved it 22 to 17 last week.

    Republican Governor Ron DeSantis is expected to sign the bill into law, enabling school districts wishing to take part in the voluntary Guardian program to arm those teachers who pass a 144-hour training course.



    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1S74GZ


    In anticipation of passage, school employees in 40 of Floridaís 67 counties already enrolled in or planned to take the 144-hour course, a spokesman for the Speaker of the House said. Some counties have resolved not to participate in the Guardian program.
    graydude and ShooterGranny like this.



    If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

    Jeff Cooper

  10. #39
    Member Array EddieFL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    southwest Florida
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    Yes I understand that the officers gun did not have a safety, I was responding Webís safety comment.

    I do find it strange that the sear engagement and the firing pin block would fail at the same time while in the holster. If it was a Sig 320, I am pretty sure it has a pin block.
    Smells fishy to me.
    Just a quick observation based on my new Glock 48 that I picked up a couple of months ago. When I got it home I tested basic function before stripping and cleaning it. When I took the slide off I noticed that tiger firing pin safety block was completely depressed, so it was non-functional. I had to gently pry it up so I could remove and clean it. Once I cleaned it and itís channel it worked fine. It was definitely bunked up. If I hadnít carefully inspected and tested a new gun purchase, I could have been carrying with only the seer/drop safety working. Certainly not what Glock intended. I feel lucky I found it and was able to fix it.
    Struckat likes this.

  11. #40
    VIP Member Array Struckat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Lurking
    Posts
    3,892
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieFL View Post
    Just a quick observation based on my new Glock 48 that I picked up a couple of months ago. When I got it home I tested basic function before stripping and cleaning it. When I took the slide off I noticed that tiger firing pin safety block was completely depressed, so it was non-functional. I had to gently pry it up so I could remove and clean it. Once I cleaned it and itís channel it worked fine. It was definitely bunked up. If I hadnít carefully inspected and tested a new gun purchase, I could have been carrying with only the seer/drop safety working. Certainly not what Glock intended. I feel lucky I found it and was able to fix it.
    Good catch! I too make sure things like that are in good working order on the 3 no hammer guns that I own. Fairly delicate parts, it doesnít take much to foul.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

  12. #41
    VIP Member Array graydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    3,802
    Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    Even so, I'd still put that in the category of negligent discharge as it would mean he negligently holstered the gun resulting in an unintentional discharge.
    No disagreement there... negligence is negligence (if that's what happened... likely, IMO, but still unknown what actually happened).

    The absolute comment that it had to be the SRO pulling the trigger is what I was questioning, so newbies visiting here don't get the wrong impression. There's a common expression of "this is my safety" with a picture of an index finger, but triggers can be pulled by things other than just the trigger finger if we don't pay attention to proper holstering.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

  13. #42
    Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieFL View Post
    Just a quick observation based on my new Glock 48 that I picked up a couple of months ago. When I got it home I tested basic function before stripping and cleaning it. When I took the slide off I noticed that tiger firing pin safety block was completely depressed, so it was non-functional. I had to gently pry it up so I could remove and clean it. Once I cleaned it and itís channel it worked fine. It was definitely bunked up. If I hadnít carefully inspected and tested a new gun purchase, I could have been carrying with only the seer/drop safety working. Certainly not what Glock intended. I feel lucky I found it and was able to fix it.
    I think I'd have taken it back to the store and asked for another one.

  14. #43
    Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I'm all for arming our teachers


    Floridaís House of Representatives voted 65 to 47 to pass the bill after hours of debate over two days in which the Republican majority thwarted Democratic efforts to amend, stall or kill the measure. Floridaís Senate approved it 22 to 17 last week.

    Republican Governor Ron DeSantis is expected to sign the bill into law, enabling school districts wishing to take part in the voluntary Guardian program to arm those teachers who pass a 144-hour training course.



    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1S74GZ


    In anticipation of passage, school employees in 40 of Floridaís 67 counties already enrolled in or planned to take the 144-hour course, a spokesman for the Speaker of the House said. Some counties have resolved not to participate in the Guardian program.
    IMO the law should have made it mandatory that all counties allow teachers to carry.
    flh, Havok, graydude and 1 others like this.

  15. #44
    Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MichiGUN
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    No disagreement there... negligence is negligence (if that's what happened... likely, IMO, but still unknown what actually happened).

    The absolute comment that it had to be the SRO pulling the trigger is what I was questioning, so newbies visiting here don't get the wrong impression. There's a common expression of "this is my safety" with a picture of an index finger, but triggers can be pulled by things other than just the trigger finger if we don't pay attention to proper holstering.
    I don't disagree that the trigger finger is one of the "human" safeties, however, I would also include a picture of the portion of the brain that "operates" the trigger finger ;-)
    ďThey who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.Ē - Ben Franklin

    NRA Life

  16. #45
    Senior Member Array pskys2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    I am not buying the "it just went off while leaning on a wall." Modern guns have to be manipulated in SOME way to go off, so it's gonna be one of several possibilities:

    1. He had an exposed trigger holster and it caught on something, but if he was just against a wall, that doesn't sound plausible.

    2. He was fiddle farting with it and somehow put a booger hook on the trigger.

    3. He is lying in toto about the leaning issue and just screwed up and took it out of the holster or loosened it in the holster, and then on shoving it back in managed to activate the trigger.

    Even the "discharged into a wall behind him" sounds suspicious to me. Maybe if it was in a full swivel holster, but try to think of the physical stance that would be required to be leaning against a wall, but then discharge into that wall, unless maybe near his feet.

    I have been a school cop for 24 years and every accidental discharge I have seen has been caused by the officer handling his gun, not a "holster discharge that just went off."
    In the 80's one of the guys who occasionally came to our practical matches wsa a local Sherrif's Deputy. He carried a 44 mag on duty and the story was he had a habit of doing draws while alone in the elevator. 'Til one day he triggered a round between floors, nobody was hurt just his reputation, pride and hearing! Some just can't help themselves get out of their own way.
    OD* and lordofwyr like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •