Is it safe to carry with the safety off? - Page 2

Is it safe to carry with the safety off?

This is a discussion on Is it safe to carry with the safety off? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If a manual safety gives you peace of mind....Then use it...The person carrying a firearm has to make that choice for themselves... They are the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Is it safe to carry with the safety off?

If a manual safety gives you peace of mind....Then use it...The person carrying a firearm has to make that choice for themselves...
    They are the ones responsible for it.

I carry a government model 1911 in condition one on my belt in a leather pancake style holster with the thumb safety on. I carry my Sig P938 in condition one in a leather pocket holster with the thumb safety on. My thumb automatically swipes the safety on the draw.
    gatorbait51 and Snub44 like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I'm not familiar with the pistol. Is it mean to be carried with the safety on? Some are designed for just that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    OK, I am not saying that strikers cannot be carried safely. Clearly they can. But as someone who has worked in the safety field, especially with systems safety, the idea of a "safety trigger" is ludicrous. A safety on a gun is intended to keep the gun from going off when you don't want it to. The idea of a trigger is to make a gun go off when you do want it to. The idea of having both the safety and the actuator be essentially the same lever and deactivated and activated respectively by the same motion goes against the basic rules of system safety.

It would be like having only one pedal in a car that takes the engine out of idle and releases the brakes when you press it and returns the engine to idle and apples the brakes when you release it. I would not want to drive such a car and I would not agree with that being called a "safety pedal."
    The only safety trigger is a heavy revolver type of trigger pull. The little tab on the trigger is a drop safety only and is not intended prevent something from accidentally depressing the trigger. Itís not equivalent to a thumb safety that disables the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Didn't you read your Glock owner's manual where it says not to carry it with a loaded chamber?
    gatorbait51 and G-man* like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Didn't you read your Glock owner's manual where it says not to carry it with a loaded chamber?
    Its hard to read the manual while walking with a pronounced limp

Do whatever you feel comfortable, not what strangers on the internet suggest. Personally I never carry any handguns with manual safeties so it's an easy decision for me.
    gatorbait51 and spclopr8tr like this.
    Slow is smooth, smooth is Fast

"Ladies and Gentlemen,we are out of money,now we have to think."
    gatorbait51 and Snub44 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
    The only safety trigger is a heavy revolver type of trigger pull. The little tab on the trigger is a drop safety only and is not intended prevent something from accidentally depressing the trigger. Itís not equivalent to a thumb safety that disables the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My USPc trigger, in double action, comes in at 11.5 lbs. This was just one reason I chose this as my EDC.

Is it safe to carry with the safety off?

My preference is IWB carry. I use my pockets for my phone loose change and wallet.

For me if I carried a gun with a safety I would use the safety and train to disengage it when drawing.
    I would use whatever controls are on that particular gun especially when carrying.

I could error and have the safety on when I think itís off or vice versa.

Since all of my carry guns have no manual safeties I use them as they are designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Snub44 likes this.

I'd use the safety. I carry GLOCKs on duty all day. I oftentimes carry my Shield w/safety off duty. I use the safety and I have never had an issue with it.

If a gun has a safety I use it, with the exception of DA/SA (known as TDA these days).
    G-man* and Snub44 like this.
    ďOut of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.Ē

― Heraclitus

We just had a man and the next day discharge their pistols in a grocery store. When I pocket carry the Sig 938 in my pocket in a holster itís cocked and lock with safety on. The discharged his pistol through his pocket and woman through her purse.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

The only thing a manual safety does is add an additional measure of safety from the trigger being pulled unintentionally. With a proper holster, I would never engage a manual safety on that type of handgun ( of the OP). But beware, some of these type of weapons with manual safeties, the safety lever is easy enough to function that it could accidentally get engage without you knowing. That would lead to an unpleasant surprise at the wrong moment.

It is better to train with deactivating the manual safety or have it removed unless you are comfortable with it not being too easy to accidentally get engaged.

The only gun I use with a manual safety is one with a palm swell safety. So, once I grab and hold the gun, the safety is off. My revolvers have no manual safety.

I have no problems carrying guns without safeties. A proper holster, and training in keeping clothing from catching as you use the holster are all that one really needs. Unless there is a critical flaw in the gun itself.

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    I practice with the safety on with my 1911. Hopefully, I'll have that muscle memory set so that releasing the safety during the draw will be second nature. That's just my preference. But, the safety could fail and may not release at a critical moment. But, the trigger could fail also. So, have a backup piece.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links