Is it safe to carry with the safety off?

This is a discussion on Is it safe to carry with the safety off? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Normally I carry a Glock 26 so this hasn't been a concern. However, I really like my Ruger EC9s which does have a safety. I'd ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Is it safe to carry with the safety off?

Normally I carry a Glock 26 so this hasn't been a concern. However, I really like my Ruger EC9s which does have a safety. I'd like to pocket carry it and I'd assume there's no safety concern if I leave the safety off since the pocket holster covers the trigger guard, but thought I'd ask here instead of my leg potentially getting an unwanted surprise.
    CG11 and gatorbait51 like this.

Safeties are for us regular people.
    No safeties are for the gunfighters.
    Snub44, redmc, OldChap and 4 others like this.

Senior Moderator
    It's a striker-fired pistol, thus it requires force applied to the trigger in order to fire. Carried in a pocket holster that prevents trigger access, I wouldn't hesitate to carry it with the safety off.
    Bad Bob, OD*, G-man* and 2 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I say carry with the safety on, that way you know that you will click it off when you need to use it. It would really suck to inadvertently click it on, and your gun not work when you need it most.
    Snub44, hotShot, OldChap and 2 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    The only guns I would carry with a safety on are single action only.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

VIP Member
    I once owned a Lc9s. It had a safety. I kept the safety engaged because the trigger pull on the gun was lighter than any gun I had ever owned. I think it was a tad over 3 pounds. I was not adverse to safeties because my indoctrination to pistols was the M1911, which has multiple safeties. We had to have the thumb safety engaged when not in use. I used that gun in CQB, and the safety never presented a problem because constant practice made it second nature to release the safety on the draw.

Every pistol I have owned since then had a thumb safety except for my last two: a RM380 and a PPS M2. Trigger pull on both of those guns is heavier than on the Lc9s. I have no problem with the absence of a safety either gun. Even with the exceptionally long and trigger pull of the RM380 I always carry in a holster. The PPS M2 has a much lighter and shorter pull. My holsters for it provide good retention and trigger coverage. I have no concerns about the absence of a safety on either gun. All that SAI, if I were going the carry an Lc9s or Ec9s I would engage the safety even when holstered. There have been self inflicted accidental shootings while drawing pistols with heavier trigger pulls. Speed often results in errors. But while I would engage the safety I would also practice drawing and releasing the safety on the draw. There is no such thing as perfect but practice gets youvas close to perfect as you can get.
    Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.,,,,,,,,,,,,, Theodore Roosevelt

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

VIP Member
    When I'm hand-on-gun with it as a floater in my coat or jacket pocket, the safety is on. When it goes back into the IWB holster, the safety gets snicked off. My pocket-carry holstered gun is never carried with the safety on, even is so equipped.
    spclopr8tr, OD*, G-man* and 3 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Pocket carry has a slightly different safety concern to consider, because not all pockets are created equal.

When drawing from some pockets itís less smooth than others, with a chance of hanging up slightly. If something impedes the draw the reflex action is to push back in, reorient, and try to draw again. A manual safety can prevent an ND if the trigger gets caught while reorienting on a flubbed draw. Note that backstrap grip safeties donít help here.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

I would go with the safety on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

I would go with consistency. If you normally carry all your other guns with safety on then carry the EC9s with safety on. If you normally carry all your other guns with safety off then carry the EC9s with safety off. Y'all don't want any confusion in your carry habits when you need the gun the most.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

The safety that matters is between one's ears - it should always be on. But yes, pocket carry is a bit different with respect to having a gun safety on. I would want one on.
    redmc, OldChap, Snub44 and 2 others like this.

I pocket carry a Sig P938 in a kydex holster. As soon as I put my hand in the pocket, my thumb is on the safety and the safety goes off once the pistol clears my pocket. The only other pistol I have with a safety is a Colt Commander and the safety goes on before it is holstered.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

Manual safety vs No manual safety war....Coming to a movie theatre near you
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty222 View Post
    Safeties are for us regular people.
    No safeties are for the gunfighters.
    This ^^^
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    It's a striker-fired pistol, thus it requires force applied to the trigger in order to fire. Carried in a pocket holster that prevents trigger access, I wouldn't hesitate to carry it with the safety off.
    OK, I am not saying that strikers cannot be carried safely. Clearly they can. But as someone who has worked in the safety field, especially with systems safety, the idea of a "safety trigger" is ludicrous. A safety on a gun is intended to keep the gun from going off when you don't want it to. The idea of a trigger is to make a gun go off when you do want it to. The idea of having both the safety and the actuator be essentially the same lever and deactivated and activated respectively by the same motion goes against the basic rules of system safety.

It would be like having only one pedal in a car that takes the engine out of idle and releases the brakes when you press it and returns the engine to idle and apples the brakes when you release it. I would not want to drive such a car and I would not agree with that being called a "safety pedal."
    WebleyHunter and gatorbait51 like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links