To Disclose or Not to Disclose: Here is the Answer - Page 3

To Disclose or Not to Disclose: Here is the Answer

This is a discussion on To Disclose or Not to Disclose: Here is the Answer within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I informed for the first couple times I got pulled over shortly after receiving my permit. After that I made the decision to no longer ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: To Disclose or Not to Disclose: Here is the Answer

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    I informed for the first couple times I got pulled over shortly after receiving my permit. After that I made the decision to no longer do so unless asked directly or required to exit the vehicle, as another member indicated. In general, I prefer to keep as much to myself as possible (forum participation being the exception, haha).

The second time I informed is what turned me off. The officer was annoyed that I handed my CCL with my ID and dismissed it immediately because he was in a rush to step onto his soapbox about my speeding. That was a while ago, its been a year or so since I've been pulled over (IIRC) so I haven't gained a lot of experience with such interactions. I've been asked a couple times if any drugs/weapons/fun-stuff are in the truck and at that point I disclose the information.
    AzQkr and Mike1956 like this.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Self-deleted! Tangential comment that on second thought added nothing to the thread.
    I thought it was a pretty good start to a stop myself.
    OD* and Pete63 like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    I don't understand why some states require "duty to inform". Someone that intends to do harm isn't going to inform, only the law abiding will inform. Just like a lot of other gun laws that just hassle the law abiding.
    Bikenut, OD* and Texas Red like this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

“Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.” - Spock - Star Trek VI : The Undiscovered Country

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    I know some would disagree but I notify regardless of state law. I find it gets me out of trouble.
    Ditto, have been stopped 3 times and have informed all 3 officers. only one officer asked me to hand him the pistol. I looked at him and asked if he would like me to clear pistol he said no. fumbled around with it until he figured out how to clear it. I told him with respect to him as a officer I didn't appreciate him pointing the gun at me when he was clearing it. I guess he didn't like my message to him he gave me a ticket. only one.
    AzQkr, Mike1956, OD* and 4 others like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Quote Originally Posted by Gabill View Post
    Ditto, have been stopped 3 times and have informed all 3 officers. only one officer asked me to hand him the pistol. I looked at him and asked if he would like me to clear pistol he said no. fumbled around with it until he figured out how to clear it. I told him with respect to him as a officer I didn't appreciate him pointing the gun at me when he was clearing it. I guess he didn't like my message to him he gave me a ticket. only one.
    This is one reason NOT to inform if you don't have to. You describe an officer who is skittish about legally carried guns and distrustful of someone carrying one. He asks you to surrender your legally carried gun. How is that not a 2A violation? He doesn't want you to clear it. At my range, that is a safety violation. You must clear a gun before you hand it to anyone. Then he fumbles around trying to clear a weapon he may be unfamiliar with, probably sending the chambered round somewhere on the shoulder where you are pulled over, and possibly muzzling you, your car, other cars going by, etc. while he is doing it. That's nuts.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    I don't understand why some states require "duty to inform". Someone that intends to do harm isn't going to inform, only the law abiding will inform. Just like a lot of other gun laws that just hassle the law abiding.
    In Ohio, I believe it was included in the original CHL bill as an amendment to appease opposition to concealed carry by police groups. There have been several attempts to legislatively remove that requirement, without success.
    Hoganbeg, OD* and Haywood like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

What I hear from my friend's that are Police and Sheriffs, it's a good idea to inform weather it's requiered or not. The Officer's appreciate the courtesy.
    OD*, Rockymonster, Pete63 and 1 others like this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

VIP Member
    They tried to get it taken off in TX, too...but couldn't...so they did get the specific penalty for not notifying removed...

...leaving you to deal with an angry, insulted officer, should you decide not to notify upon demand...and they still have the right to remove the weapon during the encounter...and HE decides if you're a threat to yourself or anyone else, and if you've violated any provision of the chapter (which you have by failing to notify)...he can keep your weapon. The law doesn't say in this section how you go about getting it back. TX GC 411.207.

Notify the officer if he demands ID...it's the only smart thing to do.
    Pete63 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Not sure if this list is up to date or not, The following states require you to disclose to law enforcement officers if you are armed whether you are asked or not: Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Texas. If you are pulled over by a law enforcement officer in these states you must disclose that you are armed immediately and without being asked.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/t...is-the-answer/
    Maine duty to inform only applies to PERMITLESS carry - Those with CHL not required to inform.
    Not sure if that distinction also applies to any of the other states listed.
    AzQkr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    Duty to inform really becomes stupid when we realize that criminals who are carrying illegally are protected from informing because doing so would be self incrimination.

Soooooo... (and I know I'm preaching to the choir) just exactly who do gun control laws control?
    Snub44, Mike1956, wmhawth and 5 others like this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Duty to inform really becomes stupid when we realize that criminals who are carrying illegally are protected from informing because doing so would be self incrimination.

Soooooo... (and I know I'm preaching to the choir) just exactly who do gun control laws control?
    Only those willing to abide by and adhere to them.
    Bikenut, NECCdude, OD* and 3 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

In IL it’s tied to my DL, so I will hand the ccw badge over with the DL and insurance info.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

VIP Member
    Flash the sash and all...
    Struckat and OldVet like this.

The first time I was pulled over after starting to carry, I informed the officer, figuring it to be courteous. He seemed slightly on edge afterwards - not jumpy, but maybe concerned. From that point I decided I’d keep my mouth shut unless I’m asked to exit my vehicle, to make sure he knows about it before he might see it (gust of wind or whatever).

In a perfect world I think informing makes sense. Really, an officer should kind of assume a gun to be present regardless. But they’re human, and might deal with the unexpected in unfortunate ways.
    AzQkr likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    I informed one time...The cop reached in and split the base of my skull with the butt of his revolver!!]

OKAY MAYBE I AM KIDDING!
    duane_wade likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links