Question for the Old Farts with Old Eyes......

This is a discussion on Question for the Old Farts with Old Eyes...... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any of the Old Farts on here moved towards laser grips? Does it help being able to keep both eyes open and focusing on the ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Question for the Old Farts with Old Eyes......

Any of the Old Farts on here moved towards laser grips? Does it help being able to keep both eyes open and focusing on the target rather than trying to focus old eyes on the front sight? Asking for a friend
    Old Man and GpTom like this.

just recently put a XS big dot on one gun. Instead of lasers I'm moving to red dot optics for my other pistols. Batteries last longer, sight picture easy to acquire, and you can use regular holsters.
    Me: "..and that brings us back to the age old question, how much ammo should you carry or how much is enough, doesn't it? Lol "
    AzQkr: "
    The age old questions answer is carry more, not less. For if more isn't enough, less surely won't be. lol"

flh
    I have CT on my J-frame, it took me a bit to get accustomed to the little red dot , my first shot was fine , my second shot my eyes wanted to follow the little red dot around instead of staying focused on my target...
    Teufelhunde, Old Man and AzQkr like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    My wife and I have old eyes. My wife has a Crimson Trace LG-405 laser grip on her S&W M642. She likes it. Her slow fire accuracy did improve significantly when she went to it.

I have a Trijicon RMR on a Glock 19, but rarely carry it. I think it's a good solution.

Fortunately, my vision is still good enough at 66 that I can still see the front sight adequately.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

I've contemplated red dot, but I'm curious on how they pick up in bright sunlight, and how far away they can be seen.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

I have old eyes but am old fashioned...
    Front sight! Front sight! Front sight!
    Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I've contemplated red dot, but I'm curious on how they pick up in bright sunlight, and how far away they can be seen.
    No problems in bright sunlight.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    On a nice sunny day , for me it's invisible , at any distance, say 15 yards ?
    flintlock62 and FLSlim like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
    Any of the Old Farts on here moved towards laser grips? Does it help being able to keep both eyes open and focusing on the target rather than trying to focus old eyes on the front sight? Asking for a friend
    Corrective lens' for distance, go threat focused. Corrective lens's [ bifocals ], learn to bob your head up and down repeatedly until you can do 5 cycles a second between top and bottom lens's. Corrective lens's for close, let the world beyond close become a blur. Put an rmr on the rear dovetail, hope for the best.

No one NEEDS to be able to see their front sight anyway. I've already chosen, when the time comes, to go with corrective for distance. It's all been worked out for near 4 decades in anticipation of the inevitable.
    Pete63 and Old Man like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    It depends.

I've been wearing corrective lenses since fourth grade, so the phenomena of sighting difficulty isn't a new one for me. The correction required in each eye is significantly different, with my current prescription being left eye, -1.5 and my right, -3.5. That difference dictates my sight picture.

With corrective lenses in place, I am generally both eyes open, threat focused out to about forty yards with a handgun. Past that, the right eye closes, and the left eye is threat focused. Even with correction in both eyes, the left eye vision is slightly better.

Uncorrected, I am strictly left-eye open, conventional front sight focused. I can draw up a perfect focus on that front sight, and am still able to see the seven-inch plate well enough to get good hits.

Uncorrected right eye, I cannot even pull up a focus on the front sight.

Big night sights make it more difficult for me to draw up an effective sight picture, corrected or uncorrected. I simply do not use them.

A laser sight is effective only as far as the dot on target can be seen. I've pretty much gotten away from the use of lasers except on my laser training gun.

Others have mentioned red dot-style optics. I have found them to be helpful for precision shots, as they allow me a more precise focus and alignment on the target. I have them on three of my carry guns.
    AzQkr, Old Man and MMinSC like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I have CT on my J-frame, it took me a bit to get accustomed to the little red dot , my first shot was fine , my second shot my eyes wanted to follow the little red dot around instead of staying focused on my target...
    Thatís what Iím afraid of. I would be looking for the dot and get shot.
    Old Man likes this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

My eye doc is a shooter too. So I told him to make my glasses all distance with just a little close focus at the base of the lens. For me anything beyond arms length is distant. I have the CT red dot on three of my carry guns.
    Old Man likes this.
    Sarge 80 1976-1983 US Air Force

Itís always a good idea to discuss this with your eye doc. Mine had me bring in my gun after they closed for business so that she could understand what I needed to see.

As suggested, the simple installation of a larger front sight may allow you to see the front sight better which is critical to verify your aim is true.

And as others have suggested, a device of some sort may work better for you.
    Pete63, Old Man and OldChap like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

I resemble that mark. I have installed CT LaserGrips on my Colt Defender, and the Kimber Micro9 CSE came with them. With that being said, I keep a Glock 19X at the ready for night duty, because MURPHY. I have noticed that sometimes, and this is likely only me, in addition to having old eyes, I have old wrists, and sometimes I don't have a stout enough grip in the right enough spot to activate the laser. That's why the 19X. It has the 3-dot Glock Night Sights. Every time I have gotten up in the middle of the night, (old bladder, too) they're glowing good. So the 19X is my Murphy Repellent.

I will add, however, that the lasergrips definitely help with point-shooting, cause they show me where I'm pointing the muzzle.
    Old Man likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links