Hearing protection recs?

Hearing protection recs?

This is a discussion on Hearing protection recs? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think this is the right place to post this... I go to the indoor range once a week or so. Sometimes I have the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Hearing protection recs?

Hearing protection recs?

I think this is the right place to post this...

I go to the indoor range once a week or so. Sometimes I have the place to myself (Yay!) Other times it's full, invariably with a guy with a heavy cal rifle in the lane next to me forcing the air out of my lungs from the concussion of his muzzle blast.

So I'm interested in good hearing protection. Right now, I use Decibulls earplugs, doubling up with some cheapo Field & Stream muffs I got years ago from Dick's (before they became, well, dicks).

I like the Decibulls, but they don't block enough sound when indoors. I'm interested in the type of earmuffs with the electronic dampening and slim profile because I will be picking up a rifle in the near future. I'm willing to spend a couple bucks on good ones that provide -- literally -- the least amount of bang to my ears for the buck. Meaning: They have to provide a substantial NRR rating.

Any recommendations?

I use Walkers Power Muffs and Howard Leight Impact Pro Electronic Muffs.

I still double up with foam plugs.

With both of my Muffs and foam I can still here voices and cease fire calls.
    Both are very comfortable to me.
    I’ve heard some people have a hard time fitting the Impact Pros.

There are a lot of options out there for electronic Muffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    We use Howard Leight impact sport's and double up with foam plugs. Plenty of protection when someone fires a huge gun and I can still have a conversation.
    Rockymonster likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

No safety ear pro uses electronic dampening. The active noise reduction that you find in travel headphones and the like simply feeds an out of phase signal of the ambient noise to reduce the perceived ambient noise. These are good for situations like air travel where the drone of the engines and cabin air are annoying, but not at harmful levels. They don't work on the extremely loud impulses that you get when shooting.

The electronics in shooting muffs and earplugs are there to amplify ambient noise so you can maintain awareness of your surroundings and communicate - when shooting, the amplification cuts off and the passive isolation of the device protects your hearing.

Walker's and Howard Leights are good choices for over the ear protection. The very best are custom molded (look like hearing aids) electronic in ear devices like Nitro Ear, ESP and EAR. These can get pretty expensive, they typically start around $1000. Recently, there have been a few universal fit in ear systems under $500 that work well. Rather than custom molded earplugs, they use memory foam tips that provide 22-28 dB of reduction. Walker has a set that I've seen on sale at Midway for $150. I know a couple people that have them and really like them. I've had a set of Nitro Ears for several years and have said in the past that if anything happened to them, I'd sell a gun or two to replace them. Now, if that were to happen, I'd give the Walker's a shot first.
    OnePlink likes this.

Indoor is tough on ears regardless of protection. I always double up for extra protection even with my electronic muffs.

Worst place for noise I ever shot was an outdoor range in AK that had a tin cover over the benches. Everything was amplified by the metal roof. I once had the pleasure of being next to a fellow sighting in his .458 Win Magnum. The blast of that beast when he fired would knock any loose rounds off my bench. Tough guy--I gave up before he did.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

+1 for HL Impact Sports. I double up with foam plugs under at the indoor range.
    Rockymonster likes this.
    Slow is smooth, smooth is Fast

VIP Member
    I supplement my ear plugs with "David Clarks". Given to me in the sixty's, when my dad built jet aircraft (same one's used by carrier crews).
    They are completely rebuildable, which I've done several times. No, they aren't "high tech", but they work!
    Last edited by Pete63; May 15th, 2019 at 06:26 PM.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I use HL Sport with gel earcups (more comfortable and better seal) and double-up with foam earplugs. The HL Impact Pro offer noticeably better protection, but are VERY thick. If you're shooting pistol they're ok, but they don't really allow for good cheek weld with rifle use. If I were shooting pistol indoors, I'd use those and still add foam earplugs.

Sordins.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Peltor Sport. Not the cheapest, but comfortable and work well. I've had Howard Leight and they make me want to claw my ears off after two hours. I've had these for over 8 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97451-...gateway&sr=8-7
    Ben_eficialFrie likes this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I have a preference for MSA Supreme Pro-X, There are newer models from MSA. My examples I've had for a long-long time. MSA is $$$$ but worth it!
    G26Raven and sigman69 like this.

I like Peltors the best. But my Howard leight muffs aren’t bad.
    Ben_eficialFrie likes this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

VIP Member
    HL Sports doubled up with plugs when indoor and outdoor.....
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

I have Walkers Power Muffs and Howard Leight Impact Pro Electronic Muffs. I often just use electronic muffs when the range is lightly used. During eight-hour days at the club hunting rifle sight-in service with twelve stations of high-power rifles going off randomly, I double up with foam earplugs and the Walkers Power Muffs.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I've had Howard Leight and they make me want to claw my ears off after two hours.
    That explains why your ears are concealed . . . or what used to be ears.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links