Guns America Digest Article On Smith & Wesson

This is a discussion on Guns America Digest Article On Smith & Wesson within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had not seen this article before. I'd like to take a peek inside Smith & Wesson, do a tour, be sworn to secrecy on ...

Like Tree32Likes
  • 13 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 2 Post By ColoradoDiablo
  • 5 Post By msgt/ret
  • 5 Post By G26Raven
  • 4 Post By AzQkr
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By AzQkr

Thread: Guns America Digest Article On Smith & Wesson

Senior Moderator

I had not seen this article before.

I'd like to take a peek inside Smith & Wesson, do a tour, be sworn to secrecy on what all's going on in there.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/h...esson-factory/
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    You and me both brother (and probably more than half of this forum!!!)
    Rock and Glock and airslot like this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Seeing how raw materials are transformed to a finished product is always fascinating, as a truck driver I had many chances to watch how things were made while loading/unloading. Back when I was stationed at Travis I was riding up in the mountains in northern California and wound up in Oroville the home of RCBS. While touring the Huntington’s Museum I asked around if the factory gave tours and someone he would call and check. A little later a man showed up and informed me they sometimes tours to groups but since I asked he would give me a quick tour. We started out at one of the lathes where reloading dies are made, they were making 30/06 dies on that lathe. The dies start out as a 40 foot bar of ¾ inch cold rolled steel feed into a lathe with a tool head for different operations. It would turn out a complete die in about 4 minutes ready for polish and heat treatment. All in all the tour only lasted about an hour but was very enjoyable.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Seeing how raw materials are transformed to a finished product is always fascinating, as a truck driver I had many chances to watch how things were made while loading/unloading. Back when I was stationed at Travis I was riding up in the mountains in northern California and wound up in Oroville the home of RCBS. While touring the Huntington’s Museum I asked around if the factory gave tours and someone he would call and check. A little later a man showed up and informed me they sometimes tours to groups but since I asked he would give me a quick tour. We started out at one of the lathes where reloading dies are made, they were making 30/06 dies on that lathe. The dies start out as a 40 foot bar of ¾ inch cold rolled steel feed into a lathe with a tool head for different operations. It would turn out a complete die in about 4 minutes ready for polish and heat treatment. All in all the tour only lasted about an hour but was very enjoyable.
    It's surprising what manufacturers will do at times. A friend came to visit from California and owns a Christensen Arms AR15. He called the factory and asked if he could do a tour while he was here. We went there together and they had a guy give us a personal tour that lasted for about an hour. We saw a rifle that had just been finished for Donald Trump, Jr. (his name was engraved in it) and got to hold it. They gave each of us a Christensen Arms hat. We were very impressed with the sophistication of their operation.
    Last edited by G26Raven; May 17th, 2019 at 10:09 PM.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Sponsor
    Had an opportunity to be taken for a tour of their whole plant by Bert Deverny [ head of the training division ] when I worked for them as their edged weapons instructor. It was a great two hour walk through. Today I'd imagine even more high tech than 2000
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Does S&W have a tasting room?
    sdprof likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sure, if you like tasting gun powder, brass, or lead
    airslot and G26Raven like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    They do if you bring the flask.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Good stuff. S&W is a neat company, in terms of the breadth of products it offers. Most manufacturers have a particular set of processes that they specialize in. S&W has CNC, forging, manual gun-smithing, injection molding, surface treatment, woodworking, engraving, etc. The level of quality is impressive, especially considering the diversity of methods in use.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Sponsored Links