Things aren't always what they seem! - Page 2

Things aren't always what they seem!

This is a discussion on Things aren't always what they seem! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All my 1911's have titanium FP's I try to remember to change springs at the beginning of the competition year and the lighter weight FP ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Things aren't always what they seem!

All my 1911's have titanium FP's I try to remember to change springs at the beginning of the competition year and the lighter weight FP seems to help the spring issue.

Another issue to check out, being as this started when you were pushing the envelope, is your mag pouches. It is possible that your mags aren't leaving the pouch cleanly. Could be you are twisting or pushing the mags at a bad angle catching the top round and pushing it forward so that the round is tipped downward. The mag pouches I use are Safariland 077 (I think) but they're 30+ years old and frayed, they need replaced but I just don't shoot single stack in USPSA much anymore. I have had that very thing happen a few times, even to the point of the top round popping out of the magazine! Can't remember a jam due to that, could have been and I chalked it up to something else though.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Excellent post(s), Gary!

Question though,
    The standard advice for replacing recoil springs in a 1911 is that if the empties are just about dribbling out of the gun and dropping at your feet, it's probably time for a new one. No need to over-think it!
    Is this turned around maybe? On mine, with weak recoil springs (rearward slide speed increases), the empties are thrown further away from from the gun, too heavy of a spring and they'll land closer.
    AzQkr, gasmitty, Pete63 and 1 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Excellent post(s), Gary!

Question though, Is this turned around maybe? On mine, with weak recoil springs (rearward slide speed increases), the empties are thrown further away from from the gun, too heavy of a spring and they'll land closer.
    That's been my experience OD, I think he just got it mixed up when typing it out.
    gasmitty, OD*, Pete63 and 1 others like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Excellent post(s), Gary!

Question though, Is this turned around maybe? On mine, with weak recoil springs (rearward slide speed increases), the empties are thrown further away from from the gun, too heavy of a spring and they'll land closer.
    Looks like *I* was the one over-thinking it! OD* and Brownie have it correct. Good catch, gents - keep me on track!
    AzQkr, OD*, Pete63 and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pskys2 View Post
    All my 1911's have titanium FP's I try to remember to change springs at the beginning of the competition year and the lighter weight FP seems to help the spring issue.

Another issue to check out, being as this started when you were pushing the envelope, is your mag pouches. It is possible that your mags aren't leaving the pouch cleanly. Could be you are twisting or pushing the mags at a bad angle catching the top round and pushing it forward so that the round is tipped downward. The mag pouches I use are Safariland 077 (I think) but they're 30+ years old and frayed, they need replaced but I just don't shoot single stack in USPSA much anymore. I have had that very thing happen a few times, even to the point of the top round popping out of the magazine! Can't remember a jam due to that, could have been and I chalked it up to something else though.
    Good thought, but the mag pouches (Blade Tech) are blameless.

BTW, a Ti firing pin is the simplest (and best, IMO) solution to the drop safety problem. We don' need no steenkin' Series 80 triggers or Swartz systems. A light FP and a stiff spring overcome that fearsome inertia problem that makes CA legislators wet their pants and product liability lawyers lick their lips.
    AzQkr, OD*, Pete63 and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Looks like *I* was the one over-thinking it! OD* and Brownie have it correct. Good catch, gents - keep me on track!
    Been right there with you amigo.
    gasmitty, Pete63, AzQkr and 1 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

What PhaedrusIV said.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links