Comparing +P+ 9mm to .40 S&W and .357 SIG

This is a discussion on Comparing +P+ 9mm to .40 S&W and .357 SIG within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks to fellow member and personal friend, Wolf357, (Wolfie ) I had the opportunity (before I got really sick ) to compare a Glock 23 ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Comparing +P+ 9mm to .40 S&W and .357 SIG

Thanks to fellow member and personal friend, Wolf357, (Wolfie ) I had the opportunity (before I got really sick ) to compare a Glock 23 in both .40 S&W, and .357 SIG conversion to my Glock 19 loaded with Winchester LE +P+ ammo.

The .40 was very loud and battered me uncomfortably, but I was still able to use it effectively at close range. The .357 SIG version was very loud, but didn't seem to batter me as much as the .40, so my close range groups were tighter.

All in all though, I handled my Glock 19, even with +P+ ammo, more effectively than either the .40 or .357 SIG.

VIP Member
    Using out-of-spec ammo is never wise.
    seeker_two likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

flh
    My edc is a G-23 with 357 sig barrel

I will sometimes participate in competitions with the 357 I enjoy making the RO jump
    Misty Lu, halem1, Old Man and 4 others like this.

I've Been Called A Lot Of Names But Papa Is My Favorite

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    ???

I tend to pick guns, calibers, and ammo within the standard SAMMI pressure range. Rather than go to +P or +P+ ammo to get better ballistics out of a handgun, I go to the next higher caliber. It is easier on the gun. I also pick larger heavier guns than most people do to soak up the recoil. I would much rather shoot my 5" 1911 in 10mm than a small light-weight polymer 9mm.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Moderator
    My Glock 23 is a basic .40 S&W with the standard barrel - no substitutions. Conventional ammo is typically offered in 165 and 180 grain bullet weights, and of these I prefer 180. The recoil seems less snappy then with the 165s and I'm able to get back on target faster.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lu View Post
    Thanks to fellow member and personal friend, Wolf357, (Wolfie ) I had the opportunity (before I got really sick ) to compare a Glock 23 in both .40 S&W, and .357 SIG conversion to my Glock 19 loaded with Winchester LE +P+ ammo.
    Misty Lu,

You didn't mention the particular .357 Sig (or .40 S&W) ammo you shot. Underwood 125 gr. .357 Sig Gold Dot is full-powered, the real deal, > 1,475 fpm out of a 4" barrel. Most other JHP .357 Sig is ~1,350 fpm.

For a real treat, shoot the .357/.40 out of a Sig P229/M11-A1.

rx7sig

Good on not using some standard 115 / 124 FMJ target ammo to compare with.
    357 Sig doesn't come in "target" loads, even if its FMJ velocity is comparable, same for 40 S&W.
    Comparing recoil of 9mm 115 target load to standard 180 FMJ 40 is waste of time, 40 FMJ kicks same as HP, 9mm not as likely.
    People should compare with 9mm defensive loads if they really want to compare and yea 9mm will still kick less but the comparison will be valid.
    I think your take away is valid.
    Wolf357 and Misty Lu like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Misty Lu work on better bullet placement along with reducing time between shots and how fast your ammo is means far less but as noted by others the handgun your using has a lot to do with shooter comfort .
    Wolf357 and Misty Lu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    My edc is a G-23 with 357 sig barrel

I will sometimes participate in competitions with the 357 I enjoy making the RO jump
    I carried either a Ruger Security-Six or Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum for several years before making the jump to a S&W 915 and later an FNP 9. I was then introduced to the M&P .40 S&W by a local LEO who let me shoot his personal weapon. Intrigued, I bought a Ruger SR40 that I carried for awhile until I got homesick for the 9x19 that I resumed carrying. I then developed an appetite for the .40 again. So I bought a Glock 23, and Glock 35. I then purchased ported .40 and .357 SIG aftermarket barrels for both of these gen 4 pistols. After extensive testing and practice sessions, I currently carry the G23 in .357 SIG.

BTW, while testing some handloaded .357 SIG ammo at a really nice indoor range, I startled a young fellow shooting a .22 pistol in the lane next to mine when I squeezed off my first round. His expression was priceless.
    flh, ETXhiker, 5lima30ret and 1 others like this.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post

BTW, while testing some handloaded .357 SIG ammo at a really nice indoor range, I startled a young fellow shooting a .22 pistol in the lane next to mine when I squeezed off my first round. His expression was priceless.
    If you would like to make a impressive bang & flash try some "power pistol " with your next reloading

https://www.alliantpowder.com/produc...er_pistol.aspx
    Struckat and Wolf357 like this.

I've Been Called A Lot Of Names But Papa Is My Favorite

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    If you would like to make a impressive bang & flash try some "power pistol " with your next reloading

https://www.alliantpowder.com/produc...er_pistol.aspx
    PP and HS6 are my favorite canister powders for .357 SIG... And yes, the flash was brilliant.
    flh and Struckat like this.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7sig View Post
    Misty Lu,

You didn't mention the particular .357 Sig (or .40 S&W) ammo you shot. Underwood 125 gr. .357 Sig Gold Dot is full-powered, the real deal, > 1,475 fpm out of a 4" barrel. Most other JHP .357 Sig is ~1,350 fpm.

For a real treat, shoot the .357/.40 out of a Sig P229/M11-A1.

rx7sig
    Sadly, my knowledge of the technical aspects is very limited. But I'll ask Wolfie about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Using out-of-spec ammo is never wise.
    Hmmm. I really don't want to get involved with another +P+ ammo debate. But, I can assure you that Wolfie would never jeopardize my safety by giving me dangerous ammo to shoot.
    Wolf357 and Nmuskier like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Misty Lu work on better bullet placement along with reducing time between shots and how fast your ammo is means far less but as noted by others the handgun your using has a lot to do with shooter comfort .
    I will keep your sound advice in mind. Thank you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links