Shot metal targets first time, so much fun.

This is a discussion on Shot metal targets first time, so much fun. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We went to the range Thursday. I decided to try the metal targets, first time for me. I cannot believe how much better my marksmanship ...

Like Tree50Likes
  • 5 Post By mr.stuart
  • 3 Post By G26Raven
  • 4 Post By airslot
  • 2 Post By Shootnlead
  • 7 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By Shootnlead
  • 2 Post By craze
  • 7 Post By CDRGlock
  • 3 Post By AzQkr
  • 8 Post By Chuck R.
  • 3 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 4 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By Chuck R.

Thread: Shot metal targets first time, so much fun.

We went to the range Thursday. I decided to try the metal targets, first time for me. I cannot believe how much better my marksmanship was with metal. All different sizes and shapes, I was hitting about 98% at 50 feet. Paper targets, I tend to be all over the place. Not sure what the difference is but I have no interest in paper targets now. It sounded like I was playing music with all those hits alternating targets. I used Shields in 9mm and .45, the most fun was a S&W .357, loaded with .38, double action was good, but mine had some trigger work so single action only takes a touch. So, why do I shoot metal so much better? Anybody else like this?
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I can't say that either my wife or I shoot them better, but they are definitely fun. My wife prefers to shoot steel so we have a couple of steel targets I drag to the range whenever she comes along. I also appreciate steel when the weather is windy as they won't blow over like our other target stands that hold cardboard and paper targets.
    airslot, mr.stuart and AzQkr like this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

I've got a spinning steel target that's a hoot to get spinning and keep spinning with a 22. I tried it ONCE at 100 yds with the 308. Thought I had missed it, until I went down range and found a hole right in the center of the plate. It didn't move, the bullet burned right through the steel.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Our handgun range has about 100 metal targets...rimfire and centerfire..mostly falling plates or swingers, at various ranges out to 50yrds. And, yes...they are a blast to shoot. I would like to know how many of our cast bullets that my son and I have put downrange at steel targets.
    airslot and mr.stuart like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Senior Moderator
    Reactive targets such as steel are a lot of fun, and as much as I like trying (with limited success!) to shoot small groups on paper, there's nothing like the instant feedback of a hit on a steel target for satisfaction. Depending on size and distance, it's not grossly unrealistic practice for defensive purposes.

My club (Rio Salado in Mesa, AZ) hosts the nation's longest-running steel match, our Tuesday Night Steel. It's an entry-level match with plenty of challenges (target distance, sequence, no-shoots, stop plates, plate racks) to keep it interesting. The fun and challenge draw about 175-200 shooters most weeks! Look up "Rio Salado Tuesday Night Steel" on You Tube and check out a few videos to see what kinds of fun we hve.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Reactive targets such as steel are a lot of fun, and as much as I like trying (with limited success!) to shoot small groups on paper, there's nothing like the instant feedback of a hit on a steel target for satisfaction. Depending on size and distance, it's not grossly unrealistic practice for defensive purposes.

My club (Rio Salado in Mesa, AZ) hosts the nation's longest-running steel match, our Tuesday Night Steel. It's an entry-level match with plenty of challenges (target distance, sequence, no-shoots, stop plates, plate racks) to keep it interesting. The fun and challenge draw about 175-200 shooters most weeks! Look up "Rio Salado Tuesday Night Steel" on You Tube and check out a few videos to see what kinds of fun we hve.
    I would love to have a shoot like this, close by me.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

I got a 10'' steel plate. Much more fun to make it swing than punching holes in paper. For most things I'm going to use a hand gun for I figure if I can reliably hit that plate at what ever distance I want to shoot Im good. I pretty much only use paper targets for sighting in rifles. Sometimes I shoot that plate with rifles beyond 100 yards. One side for handguns, the other for rifles as they chew on it a little bit.
    mr.stuart and airslot like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

I like metal plates, spinners, dueling trees, Texas star, etc.

This is my backyard range.

The feedback is great. Caution needs to be made for distances when using different guns. Pistols usually should be 25 yards and rifles 100 yards (5.56 mm , 150 for 308/larger). Ricochets, splashback, or other debris can be a concern. Key is keep the target angled down at an angle.

AR 500 is great since it is more durable. Thickness dictates what can be used for each. Rotating between sides is good for longevity, and spray paint with primer is best for coating/resetting the target for visibility.

Always have spare hardware as they can fail with the shock of ammunition.

I have shot them since about 2011.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post

I like metal plates, spinners, dueling trees, Texas star, etc.

This is my backyard range.

The feedback is great. Caution needs to be made for distances when using different guns. Pistols usually should be 25 yards and rifles 100 yards (5.56 mm , 150 for 308/larger). Ricochets, splashback, or other debris can be a concern. Key is keep the target angled down at an angle.

AR 500 is great since it is more durable. Thickness dictates what can be used for each. Rotating between sides is good for longevity, and spray paint with primer is best for coating/resetting the target for visibility.

Always have spare hardware as they can fail with the shock of ammunition.

I have shot them since about 2011.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    That's a nice array of steel you have sir.

I shoot steel almost exclusively, have shot and preferred steel since the early 90's. I've got some I had made out of boiler plate 15 years ago, others I've had for near 30 years. Brought all that clear across the country when I moved to the desert. Paper for pistol courses, steel for my own range time.

I like steel for working speed, but still go back to paper or cardboard when working accuracy.

I've got about 40 pieces on my place:

Pistol range:

I like portable stands for mixing up drills and stages.

Rifle TGTs:200-760yds:

I end up spending a bit on paint, but it saves time pasting.....
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member
    I have always had great fun shooting steel - especially the reactive targets. Perhaps you feel you are more accurate when shooting steel because when the target is smaller you concentrate more on the basics like sight picture and SMOOTH trigger pull? Just a thought.

The other thing is to measure the size of your groups on steel targets - freshly painted will let you do that. Then compare that group size to your group size on paper. You might find the results to be interesting.

Also, keeping proper distance is critical. When steel is angled so that the bullets bounce down you can be closer than if the steel is perpendicular. And the other thing to note is if there are dents in the steel, that target is no longer safe/reliable because the bullet can bounce off in unknown directions - including back at you.
    wmhawth, AzQkr and airslot like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Moderator
    Chuck, your range makes Hickock 45's look like Fred Sanford's junk yard!
    RETSUPT99, AzQkr, airslot and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Chuck, your range makes Hickock 45's look like Fred Sanford's junk yard!
    Maybe, but just think of what he could do with the money he spends on 2 liter bottles of soda! Also he does the walking woods shoots, and the best I can come up with is a stroll across the pasture....
    Last edited by Chuck R.; May 26th, 2019 at 10:31 AM.
    airslot likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Sponsored Links