Anyone own, shot, held or even just seen a SCCY CPX-3?

This is a discussion on Anyone own, shot, held or even just seen a SCCY CPX-3? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ever since I got my Glock 42, I've been jonesing for someone to come out with a small, locked breech, double stack .380. SCCY finally ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Anyone own, shot, held or even just seen a SCCY CPX-3?

Ever since I got my Glock 42, I've been jonesing for someone to come out with a small, locked breech, double stack .380. SCCY finally released their CPX-3 this year and I've been going back and forth, mainly because of SCCY's status as a budget gun, although I've read a lot of good (and bad) things about them.

So on a beautiful Saturday afternoon today, my wife and I were out riding around and happened (yeah, that's right, happened ) to find ourselves in the vicinity of an authorized SCCY dealer, so I stopped in. They didn't have a CPX-3 (although they can get them), but they did have a CPX-2 that they let me check out. I must say that I was surprised at the quality of the fit and finish. I thought it was better than the LC9s I used to have. I know a lot of folks don't like the trigger, but I had no problem with it. It's long, but very smooth, and not too heavy. I was dry firing the gun and had no problem keeping the sights on target.

Anyway, since SIG won't take my advice and release the P365 in .380, I'm really thinking about the CPX-3, and I'm wondering if anyone, anyone at all, knows anything about them. I'm also interested in anyone's recent experience with SCCY's other models.
    lionround and Old Man like this.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    I've got a CPX-2 that's worked great for the last 4+ years and I've put 2000+ rounds through. I don't carry it, but it's the pistol I put somewhere I think I may need a 9mm. I've never seen a CPX-3 in the wild, but I don't see the point. I carry an LCP in 380 because it's a small pistol. The CPX-3 is roughly the same size as the CPX-2, so there's no real size advantage to it, which is important to me. But if you're looking for a light, midsize 380, I'm sure it would be a good deal. The only others I can think of in that size are the 380 EZ and the LC380.
    Old Man and lionround like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CreedDryrot View Post
    I've never seen a CPX-3 in the wild, but I don't see the point. I carry an LCP in 380 because it's a small pistol. The CPX-3 is roughly the same size as the CPX-2, so there's no real size advantage to it, which is important to me.
    I guess I'm in the minority these days, but I'm one of those folks who thinks a gun's size and weight should match its caliber. Having previously owned a SIG P938 and a Ruger LC9s, neither of which I could shoot very well, I have absolutely no interest in a 16oz 9mm. My G26 and G48 are about as light as I want to go in that caliber. OTOH, I'll bet a 15oz locked breech .380 is a really sweet shooter.

I know that a lot of people these days want the smallest gun they can get in a given caliber, but I wonder how many people who carry something like an LCP could even pass a 5-5-5-5 drill with it.
    ca survivor and Old Man like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    I have a Micro 9 that I carry sometimes. Micro guns do have their place. Their size and weight simply mean that the carrier should commit more time learning how to shoot them well. I shoot with a gentleman who has no trouble hitting a steel plate at 50 yards with one. It's very possible to shoot them well if one is willing to put in the time. I carry discreetly at church. Today I had to preach and my wardrobe was a pair of slack and a button-down tucked in. The Micro 9 made it possible to carry even with what I was wearing.
    Old Man likes this.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    Micro guns do have their place. Their size and weight simply mean that the carrier should commit more time learning how to shoot them well.
    I agree completely, but a lot of, or maybe even most people either can't or don't. In my case, I was 62 when I got my P938. I put 1500 rounds through it in 6 months and still couldn't shoot it to my satisfaction. I replaced it with the LC9s, and in 5 months and over 1300 rounds I didn't shoot that any better. Maybe it's my age. I now (at almost 66) EDC a G26, and I'm more than satisfied with the way I shoot it. But as you said, micro guns have their place, and mine is a G42. Because it's a soft shooting .380, I'm very accurate with it and enjoy practicing with it. And as I (hopefully) continue to get older, I see the .380 becoming a better option for me over time, which is why I'm interested in a small double stack. As much as I like my 42, I don't like 6+1. A loaded CPX-3 is 6oz lighter than my 26 and more than 1/8" thinner. There are times I'd rather carry something like that, if I could depend on it.
    Old Man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority these days, but I'm one of those folks who thinks a gun's size and weight should match its caliber. Having previously owned a SIG P938 and a Ruger LC9s, neither of which I could shoot very well, I have absolutely no interest in a 16oz 9mm. My G26 and G48 are about as light as I want to go in that caliber. OTOH, I'll bet a 15oz locked breech .380 is a really sweet shooter.
    Other options are the Ruger LC380, which is the same size as the LC9 and I think it's S&W who makes the 380EZ. IF you don't mind a little more weight I'd suggest a Bersa Thunder 380 (or one of it's variants).

I know that a lot of people these days want the smallest gun they can get in a given caliber, but I wonder how many people who carry something like an LCP could even pass a 5-5-5-5 drill with it.
    Anyone who practices it.

Other options are the Ruger LC380, which is the same size as the LC9 and I think it's S&W who makes the 380EZ. IF you don't mind a little more weight I'd suggest a Bersa Thunder 380 (or one of it's variants).
    I'm looking for a double stack with 10+1, and I have no interest in light blowback guns which probably have as much felt recoil as my G26.

Anyone who practices it.
    Yes, practices it...a lot. With a gun that's not a lot of fun to practice with. Some people will, a lot won't.
    Old Man likes this.

I'm looking for a double stack with 10+1, and I have no interest in light blowback guns which probably have as much felt recoil as my G26.
    Bersa makes the Thunder Plus, which weighs 20.5oz and is a doublestack 15+1.

Yes, practices it...a lot. With a gun that's not a lot of fun to practice with. Some people will, a lot won't.
    You should practice a lot with every gun you carry, regardless of how fun it is. And I think with this gun, the recoil/snappiness may be worse for you than me.
    Old Man likes this.

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    I agree completely, but a lot of, or maybe even most people either can't or don't. In my case, I was 62 when I got my P938. I put 1500 rounds through it in 6 months and still couldn't shoot it to my satisfaction. I replaced it with the LC9s, and in 5 months and over 1300 rounds I didn't shoot that any better. Maybe it's my age. I now (at almost 66) EDC a G26, and I'm more than satisfied with the way I shoot it. But as you said, micro guns have their place, and mine is a G42. Because it's a soft shooting .380, I'm very accurate with it and enjoy practicing with it. And as I (hopefully) continue to get older, I see the .380 becoming a better option for me over time, which is why I'm interested in a small double stack. As much as I like my 42, I don't like 6+1. A loaded CPX-3 is 6oz lighter than my 26 and more than 1/8" thinner. There are times I'd rather carry something like that, if I could depend on it.
    I think the P938 and the Micro 9 are pretty much the same gun. We all have to find out what we shoot well. I don't do bad with the Micro 9, and when at the range I shoot it more to improve. I have always passed on the .380 in favor of larger calipers, but I need to get one and take advantage of it being such a soft shooter.
    Old Man likes this.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Distinguished Member

Double Stack Fixed Breach .380

I have never held or fired a SCCY CPX-3. As you noted, there are a lot of mixed reviews on SCCYs on the internet. Seems like to me they had some problems in the past that they have rectified, sort of like Taurus experienced.

As you are fully aware, there aren't many fixed breach double stack .380s on the market, in fact, I don't know of any! In the blowback double stack group, you might want to consider the CZ83 or the Beretta models. (Also the similar Browning BDA.) I have a Beretta 84F, 13+1 capacity and a soft shooter.

Anyone own, shot, held or even just seen a SCCY CPX-3?-beretta-84f-2.jpg

Anyone own, shot, held or even just seen a SCCY CPX-3?-beretta-84f-1.jpg

That's a real beauty ya' got there, @Old Man
    Old Man likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Also in the doublestack groupóthe Sphinx AT-380M. Iíve got one, and itís a really nice piece...if you can find one.

Personally...I suspect Glock will be dropping a US built G25 or 28 in the near future...
    Old Man likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    That's a real beauty ya' got there, @Old Man
    Thanks @PhaedrusIV ! I was fortunate to be able to pick this one up from Coles Distributing (CDI Sales) in Kentucky a few years ago, used, for a great price. Not sure what is going on with them now, I think they might have went out of business. The owner, Gary Cole, passed away in 2015 and there was a complete loss from a warehouse fire May 15, 2018, just a little over a year ago.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    I have never held or fired a SCCY CPX-3. As you noted, there are a lot of mixed reviews on SCCYs on the internet. Seems like to me they had some problems in the past that they have rectified, sort of like Taurus experienced.

As you are fully aware, there aren't many fixed breach double stack .380s on the market, in fact, I don't know of any! In the blowback double stack group, you might want to consider the CZ83 or the Beretta models. (Also the similar Browning BDA.) I have a Beretta 84F, 13+1 capacity and a soft shooter.
    I've spent a lot of time gazing at online pictures of the stainless 84FS. It's a beautiful pistol, but it's way taller, thicker and heavier than I'm looking for. If I ever give up my 9s and go exclusively with .380, I'd probably look at the Beretta as my big winter gun, but I don't see that happening (hopefully) for a while.
    viney266 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    Thanks @PhaedrusIV ! I was fortunate to be able to pick this one up from Coles Distributing (CDI Sales) in Kentucky a few years ago, used, for a great price. Not sure what is going on with them now, I think they might have went out of business. The owner, Gary Cole, passed away in 2015 and there was a complete loss from a warehouse fire May 15, 2018, just a little over a year ago.
    MOST unfortunate. Glad you were able to procure one of those lovely pistols, even better, at a great price.
    Old Man likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links