Range Etiquette / Practice Question? - Page 2

Range Etiquette / Practice Question?

This is a discussion on Range Etiquette / Practice Question? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The only unmanned range I have ever used is a club membership where all members are vetted and trained in range safety. Theft is NOT ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Range Etiquette / Practice Question?

VIP Member
    The only unmanned range I have ever used is a club membership where all members are vetted and trained in range safety. Theft is NOT a problem. It also helps that most of the facility, certainly the shooting ranges, are all under the eye of security cameras. Were there to be a theft or safety transgression, there would be recorded evidence of the misdeeds. I avoid wild west gun ranges where there is no oversight of some sort.
    Wavygravy likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I never go to unsupervised outdoor ranges without a trusted friend to watch my back while I concentrate on shooting.

Senior Moderator
    ^^^^ Ditto
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    My Vedder Light Tuck holster earns its keep every time I go to a shooting range. Today was our Women's League group and both of us leaders were on the range with rotating groups of 2 of the fairly new shooters the whole time. I had two empty holsters on my belt for the guns I was going to shoot after the "students" were done shooting all they wished, and one full one holding one of my P238's inside of my tucked in tee shirt with only the clip over the belt showing if anyone had bothered to look closely!
    TSKnight, ButtShot14 and Wolf357 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GettingOld2 View Post
    In the past, the few times I've gone to an unmanned outdoor range I've done so with friends.

My question is: When going down range to fix targets, do you leave all of your weapons on the tables unmonitored?

I'm inclined to have one in a holster on me but a strict reading of the rules suggests otherwise. What do you usually do?

Thanks!
    Not sure what you mean by "unmanned outdoor range." I get the "unmanned" part, but are you talking about an improved range with controlled access, fixed shooting stations or benches and with a defined downrange target area, or just an open area where people go to shoot? I've experienced both (as well as others in between). The limited-access range was owned by a club and access was granted after demonstrating proper gun handling skills, and there were posted rules/guidelines for use. I had no problem going downrange unarmed because access was limited to verified members.

The "open shooting areas" are closer to what I use when I shoot in the desert, typically National Forest lands. You find a good spot, set up your stuff and shoot. All off paved roads, with all sorts of folks driving by on trucks, quads and other capable vehicles. In that circumstance, I'll always have a loaded sidearm on my person. I'll also interrupt a drill to eyeball someone I perceive slowing down as they drive by. The ones not slowing down don't trouble me as much.
    OldVet, TSKnight and Wavygravy like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Whenever I am at the outdoor range, I always have a loaded piece on me (holstered) while I firing my other pieces. Secondly, I only shoot at the steel targets so, I don't have to walk down range to check or change paper targets as such like other range participants may have to.
    Wolf357 likes this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

Ex Member
    I would never leave my gun, even unloaded, on a bench and walk away from it unless it was attended by a person I designated. I am responsible for my gun at all times. There are too many crazies in this world to leave a gun accessible and unattended.
    Last edited by 1942bull; May 29th, 2019 at 11:30 AM.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Distinguished Member Array riverrambler's Avatar
    My range has pretty strict rules but a loaded gun in a holster, open or concealed carry is ok.
    In your case, no way would I leave a gun on the firing line unless there's someone watching it for you, other wise I'd load it and holster it. People do go to ranges to steal guns, though most of them follow you to see if you stop at a store or restaurant though I'm sure there are actually some stupid enough to try and steal them at the range. As far as Im concerned, a holstered gun is a cased gun.
    Last edited by riverrambler; May 29th, 2019 at 01:55 AM.
    bpurdy0 and ShooterGranny like this.
    I didn't attend his funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
    Mark Twain

In the past, the few times I've gone to an unmanned outdoor range I've done so with friends.

My question is: When going down range to fix targets, do you leave all of your weapons on the tables unmonitored?

I'm inclined to have one in a holster on me but a strict reading of the rules suggests otherwise. What do you usually do?

Thanks!
    I also shoot at an unmanned outdoor range. Luckily, the set up is for one shooter/group between berms for pistol. I never leave an unattended weapon on the line if I need to walk up to my targets. If I have other pistols to fire, they are locked in my truck which is right next to my set up. I also don't like to walk down to the target without an extra loaded mag in my pocket just in case. If I'm shooting pistol, I always holster it when walking down to the target.

At the rifle range it's a little different. I can't bring the rifle with me so I have walked down to the targets leaving my rifle unattended. I don't feel comfortable with that but even if I carry a pistol, if someone walks up to my setup with the intent to take it and I'm 100 yds away, what do you do? I do always glance back at the bench but when you're 75-100 yds away, it doesn't seem like there's much you can do.

I am always armed at the unmanned shooting range and never leave weapons unattended while down range.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

comply with the range rules, don't be "that guy" on your range. if you think there is a problem have one of your buddies stay back by your guns. but always follow the range rules.

I comply with range policy.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion
    "Laws are nothing more than guidelines for honest citizens to follow. Criminals care nothing for laws or their consequences, or the Police or Courts. Getting caught is nothing more to them than a minor inconvenience".--Me

Quote Originally Posted by mike110 View Post
    comply with the range rules, don't be "that guy" on your range. if you think there is a problem have one of your buddies stay back by your guns. but always follow the range rules.
    There is a difference between range rules that actually promote safety and range rules that keep lawyers happy. Neither the lawyers, nor a paper copy of the range rules, will jump into action and prevent a hostile criminal event. Do what you need to do to ensure YOUR safety, which could range from a OC loaded sidearm or CC piece that doesn't see the light of day during the whole trip.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

I always carry, so being at a range shooting doesn't change things for me. I also practice hitting a 12" diameter steel plate at 100 yards with my handguns. Just in case I am sighting in a rifle and changing a target at 100 in case someone tries something stupid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links