Range Etiquette / Practice Question?

This is a discussion on Range Etiquette / Practice Question? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the past, the few times I've gone to an unmanned outdoor range I've done so with friends. My question is: When going down range ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Range Etiquette / Practice Question?

In the past, the few times I've gone to an unmanned outdoor range I've done so with friends.

My question is: When going down range to fix targets, do you leave all of your weapons on the tables unmonitored?

I'm inclined to have one in a holster on me but a strict reading of the rules suggests otherwise. What do you usually do?

Thanks!
    msgt/ret and DZUS like this.

I am never without a loaded weapon at any range.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

I used to shoot at a range like this and usually kept a loaded pistol on me. A lot of others did the same.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I will always have a concealed (loaded) gun while at the range. It may not be my carry gun, because I may be shooting my carry gun at the time, but something else will take its place in the meantime.

I'm not sure what kind of rules an "unmanned" range would have, but for me range rules rule. Never been to an unmanned range where what one carried mattered. As long as no one is "handling" firearms when anyone is downrange, it's a moot point.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

You would never find me at an open range unarmed.

The guys the FBI got into the Miami Shootout with were arming themselves by shooting people at public ranges and taking their weapons.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

At an open unmanned range.....always armed.
    What disturbs me more is when you call a target change, open all actions, move back from the firing line and someone walks up to the shooting bench when your down there changing targets......upsets me very, very, very much.

Distinguished Member Array SFury's Avatar
    My local club has an unmanaged range for members. Everyone obviously should have guns down, and no shooting going on. Had one person receive a lifetime ban because they didn't understand the simplicity and necessity of that rule. The idiot damn near shot one guy next to him after we had given the all clear and began moving out to check/change targets. A lot of us had to yell at him to get him to stop shooting too.

Whether you, or someone else is watching the firearm as you move to change out targets should not matter. If someone seems less than reputable you could either carry the firearm with you or lock it in your vehicle. The specific range rules are set by the club, so I would do my best to follow them. The range rules are basic safety rules that most people follow without question because they don't want to get shot, or shoot anyone themselves. At least at the one I go to at any rate.

I've only had one gun out at time, so no, not all of my guns are accessible. I do so for various reasons, but mostly because shooting space is limited so I try not take up unnecessary space.

I also tend to go to the range on Fridays in the summer. I do so because less people are there, the ones there tend to be more respectful, and because I have Fridays off because of my summer work schedule. It makes for a more pleasant shooting session.

I'm always in possession of a concealed carry pistol while at any range, indoor or outdoor. One never knows what kind of undesirable element is going to create a problem that needs to be suddenly ended with deadly force.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    I'm ALWAYS armed at a public range. Wether I am down range or at the shooting bench there is a loaded firearm at hand. If I am shooting my carry gun then something else is ready if needed.
    Old Man likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I posted this last year, but it is still appropriate...

The below occurred just as I was starting high school, with one of my good friends being a close acquaintance of one of the victims. My friend's brother chose not to go shooting that day...

2 Killed, 3 Injured in Canyon Shooting Near Boulder; Suspect Captured

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) _ An escaped convict suspected in four slayings, including an attack on a group of target shooters that killed two, was wounded and captured early today after an extensive manhunt, authorities said. Michael G. Bell was shot in the neck as he ran from a bar and attempted to escape in a car, said Boulder sheriff’s Lt. Joe Gang. Officers who had been tipped off were waiting in the car. He was taken to Boulder Community Hospital, where he was in serious condition, a nursing supervisor said.

Bell, 36, escaped from the Four Mile Correctional Center in Canon City on Aug. 5. He is suspected of being the man who rounded up five men as they practiced target shooting in the mountains Friday, and then opened fire. Two men were killed and a third seriously injured. Bell also is being sought for questioning in the fatal shootings of a 36- year-old transient on Tuesday in Boulder Canyon and a 20-year-old convenience store clerk in Broomfield on Aug. 15, Gang said.

After Friday’s attack, roadblocks were set up in Boulder and on roads throughout the pine-covered mountains and steep canyons northwest of the city. It was described as Boulder County’s largest manhunt in 15 years. Authorities said Bell contacted someone he knew and asked the person to provide a car so he could escape. Instead, Gang said, the person tipped off authorities. When Bell arrived at the Boulder City Limits, a bar, deputies were waiting in the car he planned to take.

Identities of the two men killed Friday were withheld pending notification of relatives. The wounded were Timothy Bendel, described as in his 20s, who was shot in the head and was listed in serious condition at Boulder Community Hospital, and Michael Victor, 22, was treated and released after a bullet grazed his head, hospital official said. Matthew Hickey, 19, who fell while trying to escape the shootings, was treated for a knee injury and released, said Assistant Boulder County Sheriff Dave Voorhis. The five men were in an area of the mountains used for target shooting and motorcycle riding when the shooter drove up in a blue car and represented himself as an off-duty park ranger, Voorhis said. He took the serial numbers of the victims’ weapons and began to march them back down to a road, Voorhis said. ″As the five were going down to the road he began shooting them,″ he said.

The car, which was stolen near Canon City on Aug. 6, was found abandoned in Boulder later Friday. Spokeswoman Liz McDonough of the state Department of Corrections said Bell, 36, was admitted to the state prison system in 1988 and was serving a 12-year sentence for check fraud and theft. She said Bell had an Illinois prison record, including for attempted murder in 1972.
    https://www.apnews.com/2e913db0221e010d7b2521fd41361319

Things that happen when you are a teenager set the stage for how you view everything moving forward. There is ZERO chance that my shooting sessions will occur with ALL of my weapons unloaded and/or cased while walking out to change targets or back to the car. My carry gun may not be exposed at the range, but its there.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

The 38 snub is always in my right front pocket.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

I always have a gun in a belt holster and a rifle in my vehicle. the range also has closed circuit cameras.
    TSKnight likes this.

Our range here is owned by the county. There are no rangemasters. I don't go there without a weapon always on my person.
    TSKnight, DZUS, airslot and 1 others like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Distinguished Member Array SFury's Avatar
    I forgot to mention that I too, always keep one concealed weapon on me. You never know what can happen. Granted, I worry more about the local four legged critters more than people, that exist in far too bountiful numbers. We have an extremely hearty black bear population. Coyotes too.
    TSKnight and airslot like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links