Indoor practice

Indoor practice

This is a discussion on Indoor practice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Back in the '70s, I was shooting 38 / .357M a lot and I picked up a bunch of plastic "ammo" that consisted of red ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By tbear853
  • 1 Post By Bozz10mm
  • 1 Post By G26Raven
  • 1 Post By PPS1980
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 3 Post By Chuck R.
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Indoor practice

Indoor practice

Back in the '70s, I was shooting 38 / .357M a lot and I picked up a bunch of plastic "ammo" that consisted of red cases, black projectiles. You didn't use powder in them, just a primer.

I soon took to loading spent brass with new primers (removed old primer with press, put in new with hand primer tool), then just pushing them through a 1/2" thick (est) block of ESSO Wax (intended for sealing in canning) that I haven't seen in years, save for a few boxes I kept. I used to shoot these low power (primer only) wax loads in our basement. Accurate for that distance, low recoil, and not too loud. Lot of fun though. Works great in single shots & revolvers. Obviously not so great in Semi Auto pistols, though I guess you could load a round at a time, even in a Sig?

Wonder what y'all do these days?

I see it on Amazon when I search for canning wax, says "Gulf Wax" now?
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Although not as much fun as shooting wax bullets, I use a Laserlyte training cartridge and a B27 target hanging on the wall. No noise at all and I get instant feed back and no worries about lead or mercury from shooting primers indoors. On the other hand, they aren't so great for revolvers and semi autos require cocking after each shot/trigger pull.

I used to load wax bullets for my 45 Colt Blackhawk back in the early 80's. IIRC, it required enlarging the flash hole slightly for some reason. BTW, it was Gulf wax way back then.
    Chuck R. likes this.

Today, you could use an Airsoft pistol, a pellet gun, or UTM (Ultimate Training Munitions - very expensive).
    hardluk1 likes this.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Today, you could use an Airsoft pistol, a pellet gun, or UTM (Ultimate Training Munitions - very expensive).
    Funny, but the Airsoft P99AS is identical in dimensions and only off in weight by a small amount from the Walther P99AS that I carry. For draw and fire drills its an excellent substitute. At 7yrds its good for target practice too.
    G26Raven likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Funny, but the Airsoft P99AS is identical in dimensions and only off in weight by a small amount from the Walther P99AS that I carry. For draw and fire drills its an excellent substitute. At 7yrds its good for target practice too.
    I used a Umarex Glock 19 Airsoft pistol during the recent force-on-force class I took. It worked very well. I would have preferred to use a UTM slide on my Sig P229, but the cost was ridiculous. I got shot by UTM projectiles at the FOF class and they really hurt!
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

That would be EXXON wax these days...
    DG and Rabbit212 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I still have some rubber bullets for 38/357mag but have not shoot a revolver for defense in a looong time . Airsoft is the way to go for a pistol .

Air soft pistol. Targets or silhouettes cut from cardboard set up where plastic pellets won't dent drywall. Set up targets or silhouettes for any defense/house invasion scenario you wish in basement or even throughout the entire house.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

An old heavy single banket or thin doubled up full size hung over a spring loads curtain rod in a door way or window opening then heavy paper for targets can be used to shoot at . Roll up any excess blanket at the bottom to keep pellets controlled when they fall . I have an old wool single I use to use at camp I use most often for draw and fire drills .

Nerf guns.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

The pencil drill is the most effective indoor practice method IMHO. Taught to me by a Navy Senior Chief SAMI (Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor) back in the day, it took me from not being able to qualify with the 1911 to Expert in about an hour. It took a petite female Ensign who had never fired a gun before from zero to Expert at the same time. It is extremely frustrating and tedious, but it works. The video below shows former SEAL sniper Chris Sajnog demonstrating the technique.

Last edited by jmf552; June 29th, 2019 at 04:48 PM.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Bozz10mm View Post
    Although not as much fun as shooting wax bullets, I use a Laserlyte training cartridge and a B27 target hanging on the wall. No noise at all and I get instant feed back and no worries about lead or mercury from shooting primers indoors. On the other hand, they aren't so great for revolvers and semi autos require cocking after each shot/trigger pull.

I used to load wax bullets for my 45 Colt Blackhawk back in the early 80's. IIRC, it required enlarging the flash hole slightly for some reason. BTW, it was Gulf wax way back then.
    Same here, I have cartridges in 9mm, .40 and .45. I set up a small laser range in my basement to wok drills. Bought the Laserlyte target, but really don't use it that much.

The hallway is good for working around cover.

homo homini lupus est

Senior Moderator
    I guess late night pressure testing of .30-06 handloads the length of an interior hallway into quantities of Dallas and Fort Worth phone books back in "early marriage" by an enthusiastic handloader doesn't qualify as "indoor practice," but does qualify under "don't-do-this-at-home-kiddies."
    Nmuskier likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sponsored Links