Man shoots himself after attempting to remove gun from holster at Whataburger

This is a discussion on Man shoots himself after attempting to remove gun from holster at Whataburger within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wasn't sure where to post this incident. The article is quite short on basic information. https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/bell-c...arging-a-round My wife was in the HEB parking lot ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Man shoots himself after attempting to remove gun from holster at Whataburger

I wasn't sure where to post this incident. The article is quite short on basic information.
    https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/bell-c...arging-a-round

My wife was in the HEB parking lot across from the Whataburger. Every LE agency in the area responded to the incident. The chances are extremely remote that she could have been struck by a ricochet from the parking lot full of cars. But those in the Whataburger parking lot were at a higher risk, IMO.

Since my wife has her LTC and carries everywhere, legally, she commented that we are blessed for practicing gun safety.

I hope the local News follows up with the gun owner to complete the story. Whataburger gun policy is that OC is prohibited by civilians, but CC is allowed. It would be interesting to hear his story as a lesson learn for others.

* she got a pic of the Air Amb arriving at the scene.
    Man shoots himself after attempting to remove gun from holster at Whataburger-whataburger_20190718.jpg
    Last edited by baren; July 18th, 2019 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Additional photo

Unless it was FMJ, a bullet from an ND that passes through a person bad enough to call in a life flight probably doesn’t have enough energy left to significantly injure anyone else.

The story, even without details, is a good example of why the general public should be taught that guns should stay in holsters as much as possible.
    GpTom, Struckat, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Ex Member
    Too little info in the report assess any aspect of the incident. All we know is that it happened and someone had termed it a negligent discharge. Guessing, a ND while upholstering is likely to strike the leg. The two most lethal points are anywhere along the femoral artery and at the artery that connects the femoral by passing through the knee to the lower leg. A shot in the knee could dislodge bones. That had been known to cause an arterial rupture from post impact movement. Maybe the air evac was a good idea.
    GpTom, PPS1980 and baren like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I did not need anymore information to come to the conclusion that "You can' fix stupid".
    Sixgun1, Rock and Glock and baren like this.

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Hope they tell more about what happened. It might have been stupidity or maybe it could have happened to anybody just as easily. I don't mind learning from other peoples mistakes. That saves me a lot of pain. Sometimes it is just a reminder to not do something stupid. Probably got more information from you and your wife than people are going to see on the ten o:clock news. Good job.
    1942bull and baren like this.

I'm wondering why he was removing the gun from the holster - that might shed some light on the incident.

The question is why would he be removing his pistol. Not enough information.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    I'm wondering why he was removing the gun from the holster - that might shed some light on the incident.
    Because he wasn't allowed to open carry and he wanted a hamburger. With fries and a chocolate shake.
    Bad Bob, baren and Bozz10mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Unless it was FMJ, a bullet from an ND that passes through a person bad enough to call in a life flight probably doesn’t have enough energy left to significantly injure anyone else.

The story, even without details, is a good example of why the general public should be taught that guns should stay in holsters as much as possible.
    Amen to that.
    graydude and baren like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Too little info in the report assess any aspect of the incident. All we know is that it happened and someone had termed it a negligent discharge. Guessing, a ND while upholstering is likely to strike the leg. The two most lethal points are anywhere along the femoral artery and at the artery that connects the femoral by passing through the knee to the lower leg. A shot in the knee could dislodge bones. That had been known to cause an arterial rupture from post impact movement. Maybe the air evac was a good idea.
    An ND while upholstering? I guess it would depend on what you were upholstering, a chair, a couch? Beware auto-type! LOL.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    That was one expensive hamburger!
    G-man*, Bad Bob and baren like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post

The story, even without details, is a good example of why EVERYONE should be taught that guns should stay in holsters as much as possible.
    There, I fixed it for you.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Sounds like the guy is determined to harm himself either by a ND or coronary heart disease. One is slower than the other but both often wind up with the same end result!
    baren likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Greasy fries and hamburgers and handling firearms is a bad combination.
    5lima30ret and GpTom like this.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Because he wasn't allowed to open carry and he wanted a hamburger. With fries and a chocolate shake.
    And now....hospital food is usually pretty doggone terrible.

Just FYI - Always better to leave the firearm holstered & remove the holster and firearm together if possible.
    And if not an immediate deadly threat scenario then stop, think, and carefully remove the firearm from the holster.
    You need to be not distracted and paying attention to what you are doing.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links