Things are just different in the South..... - Page 3

Things are just different in the South.....

This is a discussion on Things are just different in the South..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: Things are just different in the South.....

  1. #31
    Member Array M1911A1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    448
    deadguy likes this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

    "Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

  2. #32
    Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    1,760
    Water melon wine ???

  3. #33
    Member Array M1911A1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
    Water melon wine ???
    Richard Brautigan said that it was In Watermelon Sugar.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

    "Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34
    VIP Member Array scottync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Tobacco Road
    Posts
    5,258
    Shrimp and grits on the breakfast menu? Fine eatin along with a Mimosa.

  6. #35
    Moderator
    Array msgt/ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    15,178
    Love me a big plate of biscuits and sausage gravy along with some bacon and eggs and extra biscuits to go with the butter and molasses.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

  7. #36
    Member Array tnsoldier4fun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Arlington, TN
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    Concerning the South, I have heard something about RC Cola & Moonpies?
    Oh, someone else with good memories! My maternal grandparents had an 80 acre farm in the bottom part of AL when I was growing up. A Saturday evening treat was to go to the local mom & pop store where my granddad would buy us an RC and a Moon Pie, if we had been good that week. Wish my kids could have experienced those times.
    MMinSC, Sister and 5lima30ret like this.

  8. #37
    Member Array BlackJackJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    90
    I love the South- even though I am always looking over my shoulder for the infamous 'Florida Man'...
    M1911A1 and Sister like this.

  9. #38
    Member Array M1911A1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Love me a big plate of biscuits and sausage gravy along with some bacon and eggs and extra biscuits to go with the butter and molasses.
    I'm as No'thrun as you can get, but I, too, love biscuits and sausage gravy.
    I'll have to pass on the bacon and eggs on the side. There just isn't that much room in my belly, any more.
    But an extra biscuit or two, with butter and honey, would go down well with the coffee.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

    "Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

  10. #39
    VIP Member Array MMinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    charleston,sc
    Posts
    3,443
    Quote Originally Posted by tnsoldier4fun View Post
    Oh, someone else with good memories! My maternal grandparents had an 80 acre farm in the bottom part of AL when I was growing up. A Saturday evening treat was to go to the local mom & pop store where my granddad would buy us an RC and a Moon Pie, if we had been good that week. Wish my kids could have experienced those times.
    The brewpub down the street from me sells Moon Pies and RC cola for the kids. I'll walk my son down every other week or so and have a pint while he plays with the other toddlers and makes a mess of a Moon Pie.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

  11. #40
    VIP Member Array Sister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    4,013
    Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    Concerning the South, I have heard something about RC Cola & Moonpies?

    Gotta put peanuts in that RC Cola for it to be official.


    Born and raised in NC/SC, we had gun CLUBS in our high school and were encouraged to shoot straight. I was a member of the FFOA and in the Carolinas that didn’t always mean we were into Tobacky, back then (70’s) we took what the teacher grew and headed to the Blueridge mountains for a Skewl Daze trip...pretty cool teacher! 😎

    BTW, it being tobacky country we did have a smoking “section” right at the front door and were encouraged to smoke - teachers had their own smoking lounge. Not promoting it I hate cigarettes now but this was way back then and it was normal in the Carolinas.

    Yes things ARE different in the South, lets hope it stays that way!
    Trust God always in every thing you do 🙏

    UDC member, Rebels with a cause.

    EPSTEIN DIDN’T KILL HIMSELF




  12. #41
    Member Array BSides01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Concord,NC
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Gotta put peanuts in that RC Cola for it to be official.


    Born and raised in NC/SC, we had gun CLUBS in our high school and were encouraged to shoot straight. I was a member of the FFOA and in the Carolinas that didn’t always mean we were into Tobacky, back then (70’s) we took what the teacher grew and headed to the Blueridge mountains for a Skewl Daze trip...pretty cool teacher! 😎

    BTW, it being tobacky country we did have a smoking “section” right at the front door and were encouraged to smoke - teachers had their own smoking lounge. Not promoting it I hate cigarettes now but this was way back then and it was normal in the Carolinas.

    Yes things ARE different in the South, lets hope it stays that way!
    Grew up and still live in the South.Never cared for Moon Pies with my RC Cola ,but love some Lance Peanuts in the RC or a Coca Cola.The salty taste and the sweet Cola taste together is still good.And yes I love sausage gravy and biscuits .
    msgt/ret, Sister and CWOUSCG like this.

  13. #42
    VIP Member
    Array Kilowatt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    6,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Gotta put peanuts in that RC Cola for it to be official.
    Quote Originally Posted by BSides01 View Post
    Grew up and still live in the South.Never cared for Moon Pies with my RC Cola ,but love some Lance Peanuts in the RC or a Coca Cola.The salty taste and the sweet Cola taste together is still good.And yes I love sausage gravy and biscuits .
    @Sister beat me to it, and @BSides01 followed up. If you want to talk authentic Southern, you've got to dump a pack of peanuts into that RC! Dr. Pepper works, too!
    Sister and CWOUSCG like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

  14. #43
    VIP Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Alabama
    Posts
    5,431
    Quote Originally Posted by tnsoldier4fun View Post
    Oh, someone else with good memories! My maternal grandparents had an 80 acre farm in the bottom part of AL when I was growing up. A Saturday evening treat was to go to the local mom & pop store where my granddad would buy us an RC and a Moon Pie, if we had been good that week. Wish my kids could have experienced those times.
    Another tidbit in LA (Lower Alabama) most of the various Mardi Gras parades throw moon pies along with beads with the symbol of the Krewe throwing them. (Some local cities have ordinances against throwing candy during Mardi Gras.) Also on New Years eve in Mobile they have the Moon Pie drop with a giant 900 lb Moon pie!
    msgt/ret and CWOUSCG like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

  15. #44
    VIP Member Array MMinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    charleston,sc
    Posts
    3,443
    Quote Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
    Water melon wine ???
    No.

    Watermelon rind is saved for pickles
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...-rind-pickles/

    Scuppernongs are used for wine.
    https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/s...na-mother-vine
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

  16. #45
    Member Array TimBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    90
    A few years ago my wife and I were in Brateslava. I ordered a Coke at a restaurant and they brought me an RC! It even said, "Royal Crown Bottling Company, Columbus GA" on the label.

    I tried to explain to the waiter how funny that was, that I was from Georgia, and that RC was a symbol of the South... But he didn't get it. Should have asked for a moon pie to go with it.

    Of course, Coke, too, is from Georgia..

    And he probably thought I was from the country of Georgia!

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    msgt/ret likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •