USSS switching from Sig to Glock - Page 2

USSS switching from Sig to Glock

This is a discussion on USSS switching from Sig to Glock within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm The S&W pistols are the cheapest guns I have seen on the market, so I donít think itís a simple price ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: USSS switching from Sig to Glock

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The S&W pistols are the cheapest guns I have seen on the market, so I donít think itís a simple price point decision. I think they chose the Glock because it is proven beyond any other gun in its class, price point, and familiarity across the board.

If they wanted cheap, pretty much everything but H&K is a lot cheaper than Glock.
    H&K polymer is the same price as Glock, at least agency price is.
    G-man*, matthew03 and Pete63 like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    "In many studies, the 9mm round now performs the same, if not better, as many .357 SIG or .40 S&W rounds, leading many agencies to look at a move back to a 9mm platform."

Advancements in bullet technology only apply to 9mm???
    Better than both .357 SIG and .40 S&W???

I dunno, maybe the .40 and .357 Sig, being newer calibers were already developed to their maximum effectiveness. The 9mm being an old design that was passed over and ignored while the 40 and 357 were developed had more to benefit from newer technology.

I am not really advocating for that, I just made it up.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

It seems reasonable that the cost of ammo (9mm vs. .357 sig) would be a significant factor, but I have a hard time believing that the cost of the gun would be a significant factor at all. At least in comparison to ammo costs. If these guys ONLY shoot 100 rounds per week, 5200 rounds per year, and they are shooting the same stuff they carry, I would think that their ammo budget for 1-2 months would easily exceed the cost of the gun.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Ok let me start a new conspiracy theory here.
    I think the swamp knows that Trump is going to win reelection, and they want his bodyguards to carry a 9mm instead of a .357 sig.
    Ha ha.
    MMinSC and Pete63 like this.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Each agency manages its own. They allow each agency to make their own decisions based upon their own parameters. Just the Border Patrol probably buys more pistols than the Army does. As long as each agency has its own budget you will never see (outside of a national emergency) sharing of resources.
    You are absolutely correct. Heaven forbid that the government actually tried to reduce costs without reducing the safety of its operators. The words government and savings seem to be a contradiction in terms. Damn,I am a political dinosaur.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    I find it odd they would change to a gun with completely different controls. The 229 has a decocker making the first shot DA then SA after the first. Glock doesn't do that. Every agent will now have to get used to a different type of shooting.

In a former life, I wrote government bid specifications. If a state agency accepts a bid, other state agencies can buy from that bid. Other states can buy from that bid. Local and city governments can buy from that bid. Government agencies do not buy the best guns available or the best caliber available. They buy the lowest cost acceptable bid and 9mm is cheaper. Manufacturers have been known to buy a bid at a loss.

When my life may depend on my choices, I don't buy the minimum acceptable ammo in the cheapest gun. I buy what makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I think cost of ammo was the big factor in the change. Another factor was the reluctance of todays LEOs to handle the recoil and weight of more powerful handguns. If those who make the decisions will weigh performance of the Sig .357 and the .45 and the .40 caliber weapons they should be convinced sometimes bigger is better. I own guns of all three calibers and my .357 Sig and my 1911 .45s are my fav. Maybe they will adopt .22s next, no recoil and cheap to shoot.
    bmcgilvray and AnthonyC like this.

VIP Member
    The wind is "CURRENTLY" blowing from the south at my house! (sorry, not aimed @OP) Thank you for this useful post though.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I wonder if the current USSS recruits might be coming out of military SMU's where Glocks were the standard sidearm, and it's just what they prefer and are used to. The USSS candidates today are probably just a different crop than the USSS candidates 20 years ago
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

I read on another forum that the USSS uses the DHS/CBP/BP contract as an add on. DHS does a good job of vetting handguns because they issue 10s of thousands of pistols and qual 4x per year, and I'm sure that the Glocks were very thoroughly tested (I know one of the testers). Millions of dollars cheaper than issuing an RFP and doing their own testing. As for 9mm - if all recent data are correct and 9mm is about equal to .40 and .45 in effectiveness then its a no fault decision. Then the multi agency bulk purchases can get very inexpensive per round. Using millions of rounds (which they DO) per year the cost savings is substantial.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Unless it's life or death related, it's all B.S.!

Senior Moderator
    Do people really get worked up over news of these kinds of changes?

Does this cause some to second guess their choice of side arms or else the handguns they have on their "want list?" Is it a matter of insecurity or is it of academic interest?

"Oh no! It's been Glock all along that's best and I don't have one!"

"Oh no! "They're" dropping .357 SIG! What do "they" know that I don't know?!!!"

"Oh dear! Can I still be perceived as one of the cool kids if I'm still totin' this ol' SIG that I got last fall?!!!"

"As time and technology have progressed, bullet engineering and technology has improved, and the 9mm round has gotten better. In many studies, the 9mm round now performs the same, if not better, as many .357 SIG or .40 S&W rounds, leading many agencies to look at a move back to a 9mm platform."

The 9mm has fallen into the a trap of being perpetually "better" than other handgun cartridges. The 9mm's adequate. It's ok. It's not uniquely "better."

It's just not really believable that the 9mm has "gotten better." We've been hearing how 9mm's "better" since the late 1970s when the Army adopted the Beretta and designated it the M9. It's beginning to sound more like whistling in the dark and hoping 9mm's gotten better ... is getting better ... is gonna be better.

Global warming's gonna sink the earth in 12 years ... five years ... two years ... the next 17 minutes!!!

No, it's not. We've seen it all before and these dire predictions fall.

"This switch is historic and akin to the New York Yankees baseball team moving to another town."

No, it's not. We've seen it all before and it's a Chinese fire drill using handguns.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; August 2nd, 2019 at 10:43 PM.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    For me in the military I personally used pistols as follows: M1911, M9, HK USP 45, Sig P226, and Glock 19 at different points and different units. They all had one thing in common...they worked when I needed them to. The rest is commentary.
    bmcgilvray, OD* and Pete63 like this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

The government doesn't always buy the best. They try to get the best deal.Glocks are about half the cost of the better Sigs. While Glocks are decent pistols. Glock has gotten the majority of their Law Enforcement and military contracts due to low bids. I carried a .40 Glock for half my career. It worked, but compared to the Berettas we carried previously they were lacking in accuracy and reliability. Our major carried a Sig.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blueronin View Post
    I carried a .40 Glock for half my career. It worked, but compared to the Berettas we carried previously they were lacking in accuracy and reliability.
    ... and with that, Glock Nation just vapor locked.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links