New pistol break in period - fact, fiction, or a PITA - Page 2

New pistol break in period - fact, fiction, or a PITA

This is a discussion on New pistol break in period - fact, fiction, or a PITA within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm leery of any manufacturer who requires a break in period for their guns. That is a cost the consumer shouldn't have to burden to ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: New pistol break in period - fact, fiction, or a PITA

I'm leery of any manufacturer who requires a break in period for their guns. That is a cost the consumer shouldn't have to burden to ensure a reliable gun.

But, any gun new to a shooter should be put through its paces with say a minimum of 200 rounds to ensure it functions properly. Revolvers, heck just shoot 5 or 6 to make sure things are in order and I consider it "broken" in.
    OldChap, hogdaddy, OldVet and 2 others like this.

I’ve never subscribed to “breaking in” a gun. A gun either works or it doesn’t. It’s not my job to spend money to get a gun to work.
    Sister, OldChap, hogdaddy and 4 others like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty222 View Post
    I'm an precision/inspection gauges maker,so I can tell you for sure,that different people make different quality,also they make different qualities on different days.

Now I have something to do,but be back in a few hours.

I get this, same thing with bras! Different quality made by different people and on different days. If they are in a bad mood they may make the straps too tight
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post

I get this, same thing with bras! Different quality made by different people and on different days. If they are in a bad mood they may make the straps too tight
    And here I bet most of us thought Duluth Trading's men's underwear commercials highlighted the only case of things being too tight!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Senior Moderator
    Of all the guns here that were purchased new, I never had one that needed a break-in period, in spite of any words to that effect in the instruction manual. I think the biggest break-in effort lies between the owner's ears - learning how to run the gun.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty222 View Post
    "If you're still in doubt, buy a Glock."

How about a Browning?
    Which Browning, all "Brownings" are not created equal. Got rid of a jam-o-matic Buckmark, have had a Hi Power for 35 years that has never, not once, jammed. Most accurate out of the box non-target pistol I have ever owned. Swore at one Browning, swear by the other.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    And here I bet most of us thought Duluth Trading's men's underwear commercials highlighted the only case of things being too tight!
    Need to watch out for that beaver that bites,, Not good atall ; ) PS Break in period is BS
    H/D
    OldChap, Sister and gatorbait51 like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I'd say, PITA.

The FNP9 I purchased new had to be broken in due to a really strong recoil spring that caused most standard velocity ammo cases to stovepipe. Only my hotter handloads and +P/+P+ factory ammo functioned reliably in it for the first 200+ rnds... Now it functions reliably with everything I feed it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    I clean all of the factory gunk off, lube, and shoot. Break in period my fourth point of contact.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

When I get a new semi-auto handgun that is planned to be a carry gun, I shoot 200 to 300 rounds of full metal jacket ammo through it to check for infant mortality. I then shoot a box or two of various self-defense ammo through it to check for ammo sensitivity. I usually have 400 to 500 rounds through it before I trust it as a carry gun. If it is a revolver that is planned to be a carry gun, I put a box of my favorite ammo through it. Trust, but verify.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Of all the guns here that were purchased new, I never had one that needed a break-in period, in spite of any words to that effect in the instruction manual. I think the biggest break-in effort lies between the owner's ears - learning how to run the gun.
    Perhaps you have something there.

It's less about breaking in the gun as it is about breaking in the new owner.
    OldChap, OldVet, msgt/ret and 5 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I always do an initial cleaning to remove whatever the manufacturer coated the parts with. Every piece of metal that has been machined will have microscopic burrs (unless the manufacturer has polished it). When the bullets are fired, they will leave residue on those burrs and bend them over. The residue and burrs need to be removed. I fire 50 rounds then thoroughly clean the gun again to remove the residue/burrs.

I don't understand what the big deal is with properly cleaning/maintaining a firearm. No offense to anyone but there sure seems to be a awful lot of BS bravado when it comes to this subject.
    .................................................. ............
    SIG P365, Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP ii; Wife's: Sig P238, LCP ii, Remington 11-87 20G

One of the great joys of gun maintenance is in field stripping a new Glock and seeing that purty gold colored lube the factory puts on 'em.

And one of the worst experiences in life is getting that gunk on the furniture by not paying attention!
    Hatchee, OldVet, Tstone and 3 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member
    If a gun manufacturer recommend a a certain usage to break in the piece, I will not even consider purchase. I passed in 9mm Kahr some years back because the break in was supposed to be 200 rounds. That was a no-go for me. I expect a gun to be ready to go out of the box.

However, I do believe that a gun should have a reliability test. Fir me that is 250 rounds in one one session wit rapid fire. It is not an accuracy test. It is a reliability test. You need decent ammo in the gun not cheap crap ammo. I put 250 JHP through any gun I buy in about an hour. If it works without failures I begin to feel secure with it. Just my opinion, but I live by it.
    Last edited by 1942bull; August 2nd, 2019 at 02:35 PM.
    PPS1980, OldChap and gatorbait51 like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

My 2 cents worth, no sarcasm intended.

I've never owned a gun that "required" a break in period. Any gun that doesn't work right out of the box is defective. There is a difference between a gun working reliably and a gun with which the trigger improves with use. Yes, usage improves trigger/sear surfaces and the like, but those items should be "functional" from the factory.

Establishing reliability confidence may require some individually determined mythical number of rounds fired, but it should not require any such number of rounds to BE functional. One mag, 50 rounds 200, 500, an entire ammo dump for a few, whatever it takes one to feel comfy with a new gun is on them and should not be a requirement to be "functional."
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links