New pistol break in period - fact, fiction, or a PITA

This is a discussion on New pistol break in period - fact, fiction, or a PITA within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I overheard people talking yet again a few days ago at the shop about this, and I just read something somewhere else about a ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: New pistol break in period - fact, fiction, or a PITA

So I overheard people talking yet again a few days ago at the shop about this, and I just read something somewhere else about a break in period for some pistols. That discussion came from a manf site where people are always posting stories about their misfeeds with their micro pistols, and the responses are like - did you break it in? the springs are really tight, it needs a beak in time? Use 124 grain until its broken in, etc

My first question, suppose Aunt Emma buys a small pistol and loads it up and leaves it in the drawer. Should she break it in first? Is that the expectation? And what is that duration exactly? Does anyone expect her to go put 500 rounds through it? How would she (or anyone know) when it's broken in?

My next question - is this just BS? Is it a fault with design?

Senior Moderator
    Fiction.

I field strip 'em, clean 'em up, lube 'em up and take 'em to the range. Cleaning the factory residues and particles off of their component parts serves as "break-in" for me. Besides, it's an opportunity for me to go prying around inside of it and play with its innards.

Any handgun which would require end user break-in as a part of bringing it into service would represent a disservice to the consumer. It ought to be good to go in my view.

As far as my own perception of it's being "broken-in" or not and the duration to get to that point that it's considered "broken-in": it jolly well better be running right first time out. If it doesn't give good function then something's amiss that cannot be adequately explained away by some perceived need to "break it in." In other words, it's broken.
    wmhawth, Tstone, PPS1980 and 15 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Whenever I get a new pistol, I put 200 rounds of range ammo and a box of carry ammo through it, just to be sure that I can trust it. Regardless of specific round count, trusting your life to a gun that's never been fired doesn't seem like a good idea.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Agreed Talldog.

It's probably a whiff of OCD blowing through my pea brain, but I'm a bit reluctant to trust even a perfectly functioning automatic until a few boxes of ammunition have been fired through it.

It's been so long since I purchased a brand new revolver that I can't recall having any trepidation about new revolver function. Last new revolver purchased around here was in 1998.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

I don’t do it. All of my spring loaded works just fine. The 380 did get caught up on bad ammo a couple of years ago. I’m carrying revolvers now problem solved.

Seems to me a new gun should come from the factory working just fine...or is that too much to expect? Just asking cause I’m not sure. Folks seem to think they do need a few hundred run through them. I’m not of that thought however my better half is....or, maybe folks just want to shoot their new gun a bunch?

Do whatever makes you happy and secure I reckon.
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

flh
    My last 4 new hand guns purchases 3 being Glock have had "0" problems ...

The 4th being a 1911 , had three stovepipes in the first to mags ...

I don't think the average aunt Emma will disassemble there new weapon for cleaning etc. the gun gets loaded and shot once maybe twice, and there after it sits in the drawer ...

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Distinguished Member
    Reliability is the first and most important criteria for any weapon. Trust but verify. I won’t carry a weapon I haven’t put 500 rounds through, not as a break in but as a reliability check. If a weapon fails it gets sold, no exceptions.

Part of why I will not own a Kahr is their absurd claim that all their weapons require a break in period.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    For the break in on my Shield I cleaned it up and lightly touched the slide tabs with crocus cloth, just a few light swipes to make sure the finish was cleaned off and only had bare metal. The first box of 50 went all over the place. The next 40, at my CCW class, were in a nice tight group. Break in period? 1 box. Plus about 8 boxes of various ammo in the next month or 2 to see what gave me the best grouping. I went through about 4-6 boxes of EDC ammo until I found a good grouping with that.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Senior Moderator
    It's the Aunt Emma's of the world whom the firearms manufacturers need to consider when they are producing and shipping their wares.
    Sister, OldChap, msgt/ret and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    So I overheard people talking yet again a few days ago at the shop about this, and I just read something somewhere else about a break in period for some pistols......
    Just something I have learned along the way.

You must develop an "overheard at the local gun shop" filter that allows you to tune out 98% of everything ever heard at your LGS. I don't know what it is about people visiting the LGS, but I have found that almost everything said is complete bull.

A corollary to that truth is that ALMOST everything you will ever read on the internet must also be carefully filtered. This is one of the very, very few sites with people who don't USUALLY ever spout off complete BS. The key here is learning to detect SARCASM since there is no designated font or special marking.

In point of fact: Pistols need a functional break in - a series of shooting sessions to guarantee acceptable functionality for self defense purposes. Nothing else is needed.

Many people swear by doing a "break in" period for rifle barrels. Many highly skilled rifle barrel manufacturers SWEAR AT those who do so. Most folks who have shot for a long time will tell you it is a mixed bag. Some rifles "shoot more accurately" after a "break in", some don't.

If you're still in doubt, buy a Glock.

EDIT: I should add ( because I always try to be educational and not ever sarcastic ) that the rationale for "breaking in" a barrel is that the shoot / clean / shoot / clean...cycling will polish all the rough tooling marks out of a new barrel. I talked to a White Oak Armament engineer once who told it infuriated him when customers told him they needed to break in their $500 competition hand-polished target barrel, thereby running a brush through the bore that, more often than not, left scratches that had been laboriously removed by hand during his loving polish / bore scope inspection session.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"If you're still in doubt, buy a Glock."

How about a Browning?
    OldChap, msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    It's the Aunt Emma's of the world whom the firearms manufacturers need to consider when they are producing and shipping their wares.
    AMEN!
    Talked with my SIL yesterday - just turned 65 and just got her first gun! I asked what it was and she said “small” lol.

We are just thrilled she has one and is going to take her cwp class. Recently single (again, 4th or 5th I think Ha!) and she’s excited about shooting. Bragging about motorcycle rides to! Love it when people find their wings, makes my heart smile 😃
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

For a brand new all steel or steel /aluminum guns, such as 1911s, CZ 75, and the like, I will lube and shoot it for about 3-500 rounds without cleaning. I just keep adding a little lube.

This seems to allow all the contact parts to polish themselves and slicks up the fits between the barrel hood, slide, locking lugs, and slide to frame.

Poly guns such as Glocks with only 4 little tabs for slide to frame fit, I just shoot.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I'm a precision/inspection gauges maker,so I can tell you for sure,that different people make different quality,also they make different qualities on different days.One of my closest tolerance was 17 millionths.

Now I have something to do,but be back in a few hours.
    duane_wade and gatorbait51 like this.

I do not believe a new well made firearm should require hundreds of rounds to "break it in"
    I do field strip and clean and lube.
    I take it to the range to make sure it will eat the ammo I want to use in it.
    At times they can be finicky eaters.
    Your life may depend on it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links