Wow! I discovered the problem! You won't believe it! - Page 3

Wow! I discovered the problem! You won't believe it!

This is a discussion on Wow! I discovered the problem! You won't believe it! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Tangle And, I've only been tumbling for 2 hours, I may need to up that to 3 hours. I've used Dawn dish ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Wow! I discovered the problem! You won't believe it!

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    And, I've only been tumbling for 2 hours, I may need to up that to 3 hours.
    I've used Dawn dish washing detergent to clean the brass = lots & lots or rinsing

Cheap auto wash & wax I found worked just as well in not better , the brass was shinier , with less rinsing

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I've used Dawn dish washing detergent to clean the brass = lots & lots or rinsing

Cheap auto wash & wax I found worked just as well in not better , the brass was shinier , with less rinsing
    Thanks! It's that lots and lots of rinsing I'd like to minimize.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

However, I typically leave the shot primers in place because I don't want to deprime first. If I did deprime first, I would do it with a hand deprimer so i wouldn't be running dirty cases through my die.
    So, are you implying that your cases go through the drying process with the old primers still in the primer pocket?

I do not wet tumble, but I would imagine that trying to dry the wet cases at 250 degrees for 25 minutes with the old primer still in the primer pocket would lead to inconsistent results. Most people that I have spoken to that wet tumble have de-primed first and then run through the oven for at least three hours. Although I do agree that this seems like an excessive amount of time to dry the case, these cases do not have the spent primer still in the pocket to interfere with the drying process.

I am not saying that I think this is part of the problem, but I would suggest running a batch through the wet tumbler and the drying process AFTER de-priming to see if there is any difference in the results.
    Tangle likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    So, are you implying that your cases go through the drying process with the old primers still in the primer pocket?

I do not wet tumble, but I would imagine that trying to dry the wet cases at 250 degrees for 25 minutes with the old primer still in the primer pocket would lead to inconsistent results. Most people that I have spoken to that wet tumble have de-primed first and then run through the oven for at least three hours. Although I do agree that this seems like an excessive amount of time to dry the case, these cases do not have the spent primer still in the pocket to interfere with the drying process.

I am not saying that I think this is part of the problem, but I would suggest running a batch through the wet tumbler and the drying process AFTER de-priming to see if there is any difference in the results.
    Well, that is a possibility, but what i hear about those 3 hour ovens is temps around 180 and some significantly lower. I'm running a temp of 230 - 18 above the boiling point of water.

The problem in the batch discussed in the OP was that they never went through the drying process. I had left them out all night, intending to put them in the cooker the next morning. Instead, I got up the next morning, and simply put the cases in a box thinking I had dried them.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Buy a Lee universal depriming/decapper die. Works with all calibers. Don't need to clean the cases first. I'm not a big Lee fan, but they do have some good stuff if one cherry-picks them a bit.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1011183740?pid=136543
    flh, Tangle, airslot and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    I've never understood the need/desire to wet clean de-capped plus the questionable drying process. I've always been happy with walnut or corncob media plus polishing agents. IMO, if you desire a cleaner primer pocket you should double tumble once you range run tumble and once re-sized and de-primed tumble. I don't want any liquid involved in the tumbling process. YMMV
    Joe

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
    I've never understood the need/desire to wet clean de-capped plus the questionable drying process. I've always been happy with walnut or corncob media plus polishing agents. IMO, if you desire a cleaner primer pocket you should double tumble once you range run tumble and once re-sized and de-primed tumble. I don't want any liquid involved in the tumbling process. YMMV
    I understand.

A lot of guys wet pin tumble now. A lot of guys have been wet tumbling for a long time now. The water really isn't a problem, as long as the cases have time to dry. What happened to me, is I inadvertently used cases I hadn't dried.

It is kind of SOP to clean, size/deprime, and clean again as you describe. Wet tumbling is used both times. Seems like a lot of extra trouble to me. I just wet tumble with the fired primers in the case. That way I only have to clean and dry one time, and I decap via resizing.

However, I'm thinking if I were to want to reload a couple of hundred rounds or so, I would do the double tumble thing. The second time primarily to remove the case lube.

I did decap 100 cases yesterday using a hand deprimer and then wet tumbled for 3 hours ! I'm not impressed with the results on the primer pockets. Plus, in a survey conducted by the Precision Shooter's Blog, of the top 100 long range/precision shooters only 36% of them clean their primer pockets. So for my 500 yard applications, I don't worry with it.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    I'll second OV on the Lee universal decapper, I have one and it's handy. I'm not a Lee fanboy but they also produce crimping dies which produce a crimp superior to the RCBS pistol dies. I have Lee crimpers for my 357, 44 and 500 S&W, it's important to have a good crimp in a revolver with heavy recoil and even the little 357 has heavy recoil in a S&W 340PD.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

I use walnut and corncob mix works great.

How many people have the Soviets landed on the moon?
    Maybe a lot. But they're all on the dark side, and they're all dead...
    Tangle, M1911A1 and OldVet like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Maybe a lot. But they're all on the dark side, and they're all dead...
    They probably (in those days) gave their top grads a choice:

Congratulations, Comrade ! You can have your choice - you can go into the astronaut corps, or go into our nuclear sub fleet !
    Tangle likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links