Wow! I discovered the problem! You won't believe it!

This is a discussion on Wow! I discovered the problem! You won't believe it! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You may recall, in my last thread that I tried some CCI 400 primers and not only were the ESs high, 3 primers didn't fire ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Wow! I discovered the problem! You won't believe it!

Lead Moderator

You may recall, in my last thread that I tried some CCI 400 primers and not only were the ESs high, 3 primers didn't fire at all. OK, bad batch of primers, or something.

So this morning I loaded up 35 with Remington 7-1/2 primers. Shot 20 of them in my AR, got high ESs and two more primers that didn't fire. Went back in the afternoon and shot the last 15 in a bolt gun. Got one ES of 102 fps and one 114 fps and three primers didn't fire at all. All primers had good hits on them???

So, I'm loading more this afternoon, this time with my old standby A2520 and Federal GM205M primers. I was happily resizing and decapping when something caught my eye - was that a bubble??? I check the primer pocket - it had moisture in it??? I checked 4 others, they too had moisture in them. Somehow they hadn't dried from the ultrasonic cleaning bath! No wonder the numbers were all over the place and primers weren't firing.

I really can't imagine how this happened. I dried them as I always do and this is the first time I've seen moisture. Hmmm, what if other cases had less moisture! It may not have dampened the primer, but may have altered the burn rate of the powder. That would sure explain some things!
    Havok, msgt/ret, Tstone and 3 others like this.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

Senior Moderator
    Your tears wet the primer pockets, Tangle.

I hope that is the answer, for your sake!
    Havok, msgt/ret, Tangle and 4 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

One of the reasons I don't waste time wet cleaning cases. Tumble a bit in lizard bedding to remove dirt and grit and load them. Hospital sterile clean is not necessary.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    One of the reasons I don't waste time wet cleaning cases. Tumble a bit in lizard bedding to remove dirt and grit and load them. Hospital sterile clean is not necessary.
    What's lizard bedding?
    in Gun Free Zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    What's lizard bedding?
    Big bag of ground walnut shells available at most pet stores. Used to pour on the bottom of lizard aquariums. Finely ground, won't clog flash holes, cleans brass just fine. A few drops of NuFinish polish added makes the cases a bit slicker. I've been working my way through a $15 10-pound bag for a long time.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I get too distracted trying to figure out what an ES is, that I lose track of anything else you say.

How do you dry them? I leave mine set on a towel for days, rolling them around for several days. But then I have a relaxed loading schedule.

What is an ES? I think thatís a different one than what you explained last time I asked. But since I donít remember that acronym, your splainin must not have took.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    I get too distracted trying to figure out what an ES is, that I lose track of anything else you say.

How do you dry them? I leave mine set on a towel for days, rolling them around for several days. But then I have a relaxed loading schedule.

What is an ES? I think thatís a different one than what you explained last time I asked. But since I donít remember that acronym, your splainin must not have took.
    ES - Extreme Spread - it's the lowest velocity subtracted from the highest velocity.

I put my cleaned cases in a NuWave cooker at 230į for 25 minutes. I'm pretty sure I had a batch in the cooker and this "wet" batch waiting. Then, I think the next day, I thought the ones laying out waiting were ready to be put upd, and they got put up without ever going through the dryer.
    Rock and Glock and Struckat like this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

Lead Moderator
    Big bag of ground walnut shells available at most pet stores. Used to pour on the bottom of lizard aquariums. Finely ground, won't clog flash holes, cleans brass just fine. A few drops of NuFinish polish added makes the cases a bit slicker. I've been working my way through a $15 10-pound bag for a long time.
    @OldVet , How do you get the media out of the inside of the case?
    in Gun Free Zones.

How do you get the media out of the inside of the case?
    I use the same material. It pours out of the case with no problems, just ck the flash hole and clear it with a toothpick, if needed.
    OldVet and PhaedrusIV like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    I use the same material. It pours out of the case with no problems, just ck the flash hole and clear it with a toothpick, if needed.
    You don't think any of the media powder clings to the inside walls of the cases? If it does, isn't that a contaminate inside the case?

If you were to blow compressed air into the case wouldn't media powder/dust come out???
    in Gun Free Zones.

You don't think any of the media powder clings to the inside walls of the cases? If it does, isn't that a contaminate inside the case?

If you were to blow compressed air into the case wouldn't media powder/dust come out???
    Just dump it out. It's very dry and non-static. I run a brush through the necks to remove any residue that might be there. Won't harm the powder.
    airslot likes this.

Your overthinking this.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    Your overthinking this.
    Engineers are like that. American Million-dollar space pen versus Soviet pencil.
    airslot and PhaedrusIV like this.

Lead Moderator
    Engineers are like that. American Million-dollar space pen versus Soviet pencil.
    How many people have the Soviets landed on the moon?
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    in Gun Free Zones.

How many people have the Soviets landed on the moon?
    None, but doesn't change the fact not everything requires infinite engineering.

But back to the matter at hand, ground walnut shells have been used to clean/polish cases for ever and no one has ever found it caused ballistic problems, which I'm sure they would have by now. Same with corn cob media, although I find it does plug flash holes. The pet store media is too fine to do that.
    Tangle likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links