Did you know that the engineering profession ranks 9th in suicides? - Page 2

Did you know that the engineering profession ranks 9th in suicides?

This is a discussion on Did you know that the engineering profession ranks 9th in suicides? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ThirdShift I love being an engineer!... Me too!!!! Originally Posted by ThirdShift ...Wonder what the cause is. Some engineering jobs bring a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Did you know that the engineering profession ranks 9th in suicides?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdShift View Post
    I love being an engineer!...
    Me too!!!!

...Wonder what the cause is.
    Some engineering jobs bring a lot of pressure, responsibility, and fear of failure. It's kinda funny, if we try to think of everything, we're overthinking. When something happens that was unpredictable - we should have thought of that.

And, engineers are often blamed for things they weren't responsible for. A perfect example is the million dollar space pen - who got the blame for the cost of the pen? Engineers. But who initiated the project? Businessmen. Who funded the project? Businessmen. Who set the specifications for the pen? Businessmen. Who hired engineers and technicians to develop the product? Businessmen. Who paid for the facilities, janitorial services, heating and air, test equipment, engineer and technician salaries? Businessmen.

What did the engineers and technicians do? They did the job they were specifically hired to do. So why does the engineer get the black eye for this and the businessman that initiated and paid for the project not catch the blame - if there is blame to be placed?
    ThirdShift likes this.
    We don't have a gun problem in the US, We have a people problem.
    The problem we have is people that want to kill large numbers innocent people
    in Gun Free Zones.

VIP Member
    I was personnel manager for an electronics firm. I also wound up being liaison to the engineering department because it seems that, left to their own devices, engineers (EE particularly) will design a product forever and eight days, always attempting to get it perfect.

Sometimes you have to meet deadlines, and sometimes a young and fairly attractive (Yes, I was, way back then!) woman who comes from a whole family of engineers can speak the language well enough to get the product on the production line with no hurt feelings.
    LimaCharlie and Tangle like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    I love being an engineer! Wonder what the cause is.
    The Miller Effect.
    Tangle likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links