Makarov - going to give it another try.

This is a discussion on Makarov - going to give it another try. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, Around 1990 I bought a military issue (unissued) Bulgi Makarov 9 x 18, (1985 mfg date ), when they first started showing up in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Makarov - going to give it another try.

OK, Around 1990 I bought a military issue (unissued) Bulgi Makarov 9 x 18, (1985 mfg date ), when they first started showing up in US dealers. Put it away because I wasn't impressed. So last week I thought I'd give the little commie another try. Dang ! I've been sitting on a (good gun ?) for over 18 years, and now I'm too old to enjoy it !! It's a blowback, so the blast and recoil takes getting used to, and it is accurate. I was using some Hornady Critical Defense, and they shot great until the fourth round - sounded muted, and it was a FTE. Yep a squid - not a good start at trying to like the gun. Tomorrow I'll give it another go, it's just too well made not to become a favorite. Does anybody carry a Mak ?, or or they just fun range guns. I don't recall ever hearing negative reviews, and that in itself is strange.
    yooper71 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Most of them are good little guns...they are popular here in Ga. With that said, I have absolutely no experience with them.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Handled a few “back in the day” I’ve never fired one though.

I had my eye on one often, but bills always came in the way. At the time they were on every shelf, the $150 was hard to come by. I have always thought them interesting.

Glad to hear your finally enjoying yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have a CZ-82 in that caliber. I ran a couple of boxes of S&B and some other brand without issues. Then I started making the cases from 9x19 cases. Old reloaders tend to do stuff like that.

I've heard mixed reviews with the Critical defense ammo, in that caliber at least. Some -82s run fine, some won't digest it. Unfortunately, it's about the only commercial SD round produced. My loads are lighter LRNs, but I'd use them if push came to shove. The blowback action tends to limit hot loading. I always have powder particles all over my shirt when I'm done shooting.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I have a CZ-82 in that caliber. I ran a couple of boxes of S&B and some other brand without issues. Then I started making the cases from 9x19 cases. Old reloaders tend to do stuff like that.

I've heard mixed reviews with the Critical defense ammo, in that caliber at least. Some -82s run fine, some won't digest it. Unfortunately, it's about the only commercial SD round produced. My loads are lighter LRNs, but I'd use them if push came to shove. The blowback action tends to limit hot loading. I always have powder particles all over my shirt when I'm done shooting.
    FWIW - PPU has a 95 gr. JHP in 9mm Mak. No idea what exact bullet they're using.
    OldVet likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I think I have one or a clone. I believe it’s labeled a “Bakal” or “INEZ” or some thing like that. mine might be a .380.
    Don’t ever remember seeing it as a kid but found it when cleaning out my moms pantry. Will have to dig it out.

bought a Russian import Makarov in .380 in the 20th century...the brides favorite, because she can shoot it like Anne O, really very accurate pistol...and very concealable...

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    OK, Around 1990 I bought a military issue (unissued) Bulgi Makarov 9 x 18, (1985 mfg date ), when they first started showing up in US dealers. Put it away because I wasn't impressed. So last week I thought I'd give the little commie another try. Dang ! I've been sitting on a (good gun ?) for over 18 years, and now I'm too old to enjoy it !! It's a blowback, so the blast and recoil takes getting used to, and it is accurate. I was using some Hornady Critical Defense, and they shot great until the fourth round - sounded muted, and it was a FTE. Yep a squid - not a good start at trying to like the gun. Tomorrow I'll give it another go, it's just too well made not to become a favorite. Does anybody carry a Mak ?, or or they just fun range guns. I don't recall ever hearing negative reviews, and that in itself is strange.
    I bought one about the same time from a friend's pawn shop. At that time I wasn't into semi autos but this one came to me at a give away price and included a military holster. The thing was crude but it seemed reliable enough and my only problem with it was at that time the 9x18 Mak ammo was pretty scarce in these parts. I eventually gave the gun to one of my sons who still has it I think. The 9mm Makarov ammo seems to be very available now. I didn't spend enough time with mine to be able to offer up an enlightened opinion but it's an interesting little gun.

I love mine. And it's very accurate.

- testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I have a Russian Makarov I got in the 90s. It shoots like a laser, and I can't remember mine ever malfunctioning, though 9x18 is anemic enough that I load it with FMJ ammo. I did carry it on occasion many years ago.

I recently pulled it out and, man, what a single action trigger! It doesn't break so much as release, and it's a very smooth release at that. It's a pretty remarkable single action trigger.

That said, the problem with blowback guns is they tear my hand up. I can shoot 44 magnum for more rounds than a blowback 380/Mak. I had a PPK/S that had sentimental value, but I grew to hate shooting it so much I finally sold it after 20 years of ownership. I still have the Mak because it seems like the most gentle of blowback guns; it's just unpleasant, not absolutely horrible to shoot. It does have sentimental value, as well.
    Tstone and PhaedrusIV like this.

I have owned Bulgarian three examples...

A commercial NIB unit I bought in 1999. Sold to fund another purchase because I wanted a real military example.

A well-worn and kinda loose 80's Military unit that I bought for cheap. Sold to fund another purchase.

An about 90% late 80's military unit that is my current price and joy. Shoots outstandingly, and is carried frequently loaded with current S&B/Fiocchi/PPU ball ammo.

I also have a good stash of the now discontinued (thanks stupid Critical Defense) Hornday Custom with a normal XTP bullet.
    Old Man likes this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Anybody reload for this bugger ?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Anybody reload for this bugger ?
    I do. I even make my cases by converting 9x19 to 9x18. Looks a bit weird until it's fireformed, but they've functioned 100% in my CZ-82.
    Old Man likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have owned a Chinese and later a Russian Makarov. Both were reliable with ball ammo. Back in the day it was hard to find hollow points in 9x 18. The Russian was the better finished of the two. The one thing I didn't like about either one was there area lot of very sharp edges! I had at least one significant laceration that probably should have been sutured!
    drmordo likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member
    I have a East German origin Makarov that I've owned for about thirty years or so, purchased from Century International. I have reloaded for it using Hornady XTP bullets. I like it and find it shoots well, although with somewhat surprising recoil due to the design.

Makarov - going to give it another try.-makarov-2.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links