HS Daughter joined Skeet team....now to get an O&U 12ga... - Page 2

HS Daughter joined Skeet team....now to get an O&U 12ga...

This is a discussion on HS Daughter joined Skeet team....now to get an O&U 12ga... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Havenít shot the Stoeger Condor. Looks fine. I donít think they offer choke tubes in either SKEET 1 or SKEET 2. TruLock Chokes or Briley ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: HS Daughter joined Skeet team....now to get an O&U 12ga...

Havenít shot the Stoeger Condor. Looks fine. I donít think they offer choke tubes in either SKEET 1 or SKEET 2. TruLock Chokes or Briley should have some that will fit, if you go that route. (I have no affiliation with either.)
    PPS1980 likes this.
    ďBeware of people who brag about who they are. A lion will never have to tell you he is a lion.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Dial1911 View Post
    Havenít shot the Stoeger Condor. Looks fine. I donít think they offer choke tubes in either SKEET 1 or SKEET 2. TruLock Chokes or Briley should have some that will fit, if you go that route. (I have no affiliation with either.)
    Most gunsmiths could ream chokes to whatever you want. Shouldm't be a problem at all to ream IC to skeet.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I do not shoot much Skeet, but I do shoot quite a bit of Trap and Sporting Clays.

About 15 years ago when just starting out, I bought a Stoger Condor O/U. It didnít make it thru 2 cases of shells. First I had issues with the safety not disengaging, and then I had a firing pin break. I didnít keep it around. Iíve also seen 2 others stop working while shooting Sporting Clays. They were not mine, or someone I regularly shoot with so I do not know what the failures were.

Iíve seen issues with Mossberg O/U also. I mention them because they have some affordable models.

I know 2 different people who shoot Tristar and so far have not had an issue. They have models that are priced in your range and may be worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PPS1980 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dial1911 View Post
    Bill,
    Thank you for sharing your vast storehouse of information with a father new to the entire Skeet world! It's been said here before but the best folks in the world are gun guys in my experience!
    -Robert
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

years ago a friend had a dove and quail property to work his dogs . That was his world after work and he gave hunts on to the wealthier clients to pay for the property lease . Some of the rich guys built a sporting clays range and pestered the bird guy to come shoot with them free !! After a few year of this he said yes and should up for a shoot in his normal cloths , Bib overalls , t shirt and a cap with his 1954 model 12 with a 28inch barrel and cuts compensator on it . Well he shoot part of that year but was good enough to be the sw fl high scorer and go to state . He decline and said thanks but he did not have the time . Just ole model 12 Winchester with very little finish on it but ran like greased lighting in the hands of man that new it very well .

Good luck to your girl and learning her sport well .
    PPS1980 and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yooper71 View Post
    I do not shoot much Skeet, but I do shoot quite a bit of Trap and Sporting Clays.

About 15 years ago when just starting out, I bought a Stoger Condor O/U. It didnít make it thru 2 cases of shells. First I had issues with the safety not disengaging, and then I had a firing pin break. I didnít keep it around. Iíve also seen 2 others stop working while shooting Sporting Clays. They were not mine, or someone I regularly shoot with so I do not know what the failures were.

Iíve seen issues with Mossberg O/U also. I mention them because they have some affordable models.

I know 2 different people who shoot Tristar and so far have not had an issue. They have models that are priced in your range and may be worth a look.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I was going to ask about the TriStars - they're Turkish made aren't they? I see that they take Beretta Chokes and offer SK chokes for them. Hmmm....
    yooper71 likes this.

I believe they are Turkish, but I donít know who the manufacturer is?

One friend has an O/U and a Trap Single. Heís been shooting them 2 years now. Another friend has been shooting Trap with one all summer without an issue. Iíve taken a few shots thru all 3 guns, but not enough to have an opinion. I havenít heard any complaints from either yet.

I currently own 4 Turkish made shotguns. 3 CZ side by sides in 28, 20, and 12. And an O/U 28 that I donít recall the brand? All 4 are Huglu guns and I havenít had an issue with any.

The 12 Iíve had for a year now and I have almost 4K rounds thru it without an issue. The other 3 probably have 2K combined.

PPS1980 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Well, we have landed on a shotgun. Went to my LGS, where I am a member of their range, and talked with the manager who is an old friend. He's a clays guy and I told him my thoughts and the prices I had found. He matched the lowest price for the O&U they had on hand in 12ga that would fit my daughter. So, she will be shooting a CZ Drake 28" in 12ga. I sincerely appreciate all the help (Bill) and my daughter is impressed that I seem to know everything related to firearms - even shotguns and skeet somehow Anyway, we take that new shotgun on its maiden voyage to the range on Sunday evening for practice. I'm wondering if I shouldn't take my 590 home defense shotgun with me just to see how I'd do?

Nice looking shotgun, may she do well with it.
    PPS1980 and SatCong like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I have the Condor trap model. It does ok. But I would look at CZ. They are made by Huglu in Turkey. I have a Huglu. I love it. It breaks clays like nobodies business. First time I brought it to the range it impressed me and everytime after.. Sorry I didn't see your post you bought one. Good choice.
    PPS1980 likes this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    It seems to be the main recommendation for new shooters. Autos can jam, O&U can't is the thinking for kids at a competition. They are also easier to clean and deal with generally if there is an issue.
    I shot hundreds of rounds of skeet with an autoloader in my early years of shotgunning. Remington 1100s were THE gun back then if a double gun was too spendy. My S&W 1000 (20 ga) was every bit the equal of the 1100s. While cleaning the piston or an auto takes about 3 minutes more than simply swabbing the bores of a double, I would hardly consider that a deterrent over spending 2x for a double. Don't get me wrong, I dearly love my O/U, but I don't hit any more birds (clay or feathered) with it compared to the auto. I'd sooner take a quality automatic over an econo-line double.
    OldVet and bmcgilvray like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Well, we have landed on a shotgun. Went to my LGS, where I am a member of their range, and talked with the manager who is an old friend. He's a clays guy and I told him my thoughts and the prices I had found. He matched the lowest price for the O&U they had on hand in 12ga that would fit my daughter. So, she will be shooting a CZ Drake 28" in 12ga. I sincerely appreciate all the help (Bill) and my daughter is impressed that I seem to know everything related to firearms - even shotguns and skeet somehow Anyway, we take that new shotgun on its maiden voyage to the range on Sunday evening for practice. I'm wondering if I shouldn't take my 590 home defense shotgun with me just to see how I'd do?

Looks great. Hope she enjoys her time shooting it.

PPS1980 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Well, the Skeet Chokes that I ordered arrived today. All my research said that the CZ Drake takes Beretta & Benelli Mobil Chokes so I ordered two Carlson's Extended Skeet Chokes in 12ga for her. Optics Planet is about as slow to ship as anybody (a week to get here) but they arrived today and I installed them just fine. So now she has another step forward on this whole clays adventure. Again, thanks to everyone here for all the help and guidance - especially Dial1911!
    Dial1911, yooper71 and bakes like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links