HS Daughter joined Skeet team....now to get an O&U 12ga...

This is a discussion on HS Daughter joined Skeet team....now to get an O&U 12ga... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've very proud of my daughter. She's a terrific shot with a rifle. She tells other girls that the surgical scar on her that they ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: HS Daughter joined Skeet team....now to get an O&U 12ga...

Distinguished Member

I've very proud of my daughter. She's a terrific shot with a rifle. She tells other girls that the surgical scar on her that they whisper about is from a knife fight and they ought see the other girl. Anyway, she's joined the skeet team and the only shotguns either of us have experience with are HD. She needs an O&U 12ga but I don't want to break the bank. After reading a few articles that were not written by snobs with way too much money I decided against a $2k Beretta Interestingly, I've seen a few good reviews about Stoeger Condor 12ga for new skeet shooters at $400-+. Anyone have any experience with them that they're willing to share? Thanks!
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

flh
    Is the OU mandatory ? My dad used a 1100 Remington ,
    PPS1980 and bmcgilvray like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Stoeger has been around for a long time, and are solid for the money. Also, I would look at CZ and Browning offerings.
    PPS1980 and bakes like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    Is the OU mandatory ? My dad used a 1100 Remington ,
    It seems to be the main recommendation for new shooters. Autos can jam, O&U can't is the thinking for kids at a competition. They are also easier to clean and deal with generally if there is an issue.
    flh and MMinSC like this.

Mec makes a nice, inexpensive shot shell reloader...
    Dial1911, PPS1980 and bmcgilvray like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Pump? 870 is pretty nice. Personally, for a pump I'd go back to the Ithaca. Wish I didn't sell that beauty.
    msgt/ret and PPS1980 like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Havenít shot competitively in decades, but it used to be if the spent hulls hit the ground they were club property. We all shot O/U to be sure we kept our hulls.

On range days you could retrieve your hulls and the 1100ís ruled.

I shot Winchester 101ís and Brownings with At least 28 inch barrels. You should be able to find a good O/U brand at $1500 or less, maybe used or new with a synthetic stock and forearm.

Whatever you choose be sure your gunsmith has or can get parts. They donít break very often but some lower priced gun may require shipping parts from who knows where.
    PPS1980 likes this.
    ďBeware of people who brag about who they are. A lion will never have to tell you he is a lion.Ē

I have a yildiz that I got from academy. Iím not an expert skeet shooter or anything like that, but for my casual sporting clays shoot it works fine for me.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/yil...dCatid=1584952
    PPS1980 likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    It seems to be the main recommendation for new shooters. Autos can jam, O&U can't is the thinking for kids at a competition. They are also easier to clean and deal with generally if there is an issue.
    The old guys that taught me skeet said the action is much faster on an O/U. I was using(and still do) my A5 Light Twelve. They let me use a $5000 Kreighoff. I did not notice it being faster but was/am not experienced enough to notice. It was really nice though and apparently it is one of the low end Kreighoffs.
    PPS1980 and bmcgilvray like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dial1911 View Post
    Havenít shot competitively in decades, but it used to be if the spent hulls hit the ground they were club property. We all shot O/U to be sure we kept our hulls.

On range days you could retrieve your hulls and the 1100ís ruled.

I shot Winchester 101ís and Brownings with At least 28 inch barrels. You should be able to find a good O/U brand at $1500 or less, maybe used or new with a synthetic stock and forearm.

Whatever you choose be sure your gunsmith has or can get parts. They donít break very often but some lower priced gun may require shipping parts from who knows where.
    Thanks, good advice. Here in Georgia the State pays for the shells for High School shotgun teams. Yes, I know it was a complete surprise to me too. So, the cost of shells is not an issue and they do not reload (I was willing to learn how to do shells to support the team but....). The instructor said that for people my daughters size 7lbs+- is the sweet spot because of the recoil absorption vs. holding it steady. Yes, 28in barrles in 12ga are what they are also saying is ideal at this level and size.

Thanks to everyone for the great help, keep it coming!

Sponsor
    Does she shoot from the right shoulder? If yes, stock cant won't be a problem. I had to go with a Win 101 for it's neutral canted stock and once I did, I increased my score from 94 to 98.

Make sure the gun is fitted to her professionally for LOP would be my advice.
    airslot and bakes like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

The last time I shot skeet was back when I was stationed at Altus, back then I just used my Remington 870 the same gun I used for dove and quail. With practice a pump can be as fast as an autoloader.
    OldVet and bmcgilvray like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I would like to say hit the pawn and gun shops for a Win model 12 but 400 bucks will never do that . The bolts tend to work like like wet glass

Check this out - Hits your price range and reviews are very good . Probably better prices out there to .
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/yil...-under-shotgun
    PPS1980 and Instymp like this.

Congrats on your daughter making team!
    I have shot the Mossberg International Silver Reserve O/U and really liked it.
    I think at about $550.00- $600.00 it doesn't break the bank. I am going to buy one this fall.
    PPS1980 likes this.

VIP Member
    I shot on the NRA Trap, skeet and Sporting Clay team for few years and Used a Browning Citori Grade I picked up for about $800 from Yankeeartifacts.com. The problem with O/U is you are typically dealing with guns that are cast off. IF she's a lefty then you have to find a gun that's cast in or something that has no cast at all. I would also echo the use of a SEMI. YOU have to remember a O/U has no recoil obsorbtion, some tournaments, you are going to shoot 100-200 birds. The semi auto action will at least soak up some of that recoil. Also, a 12 gauge shooting light target loads has a lighter felt recoil than a 20 gauge due to the overall weight of the gun. My suggestion look for a good semi auto that fits her and go with that.
    PPS1980 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links