New Sight, New Target

New Sight, New Target

This is a discussion on New Sight, New Target within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've had some ongoing problems with my S&W red dot sight on my Performance Center 45 Shield, and wound up replacing it with a Shield ...

Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree18Likes
  • 5 Post By Mike1956
  • 2 Post By AzQkr
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 3 Post By AzQkr
  • 2 Post By TSKnight
  • 3 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By TSKnight
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: New Sight, New Target

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    32,580

    New Sight, New Target

    I've had some ongoing problems with my S&W red dot sight on my Performance Center 45 Shield, and wound up replacing it with a Shield RMSc 4 mil dot, which arrived today. The S&W sight issue will be a topic for another thread.

    I installed the RMSc after some mounting screw issues (the sight comes with metric screws, while the slide was tapped for 6/32". A trip to the local Fastenal store resolved that problem. A quick co-witness determined that the dot was close, straight out of the box, as did a round on the steel plate at forty yards.

    I measured out an eighty-three yard shot the other day. Here are a couple pics:

    New Sight, New Target-dsc04849.jpg

    A bit of zoom:

    New Sight, New Target-dsc04850.jpg

    I put up one of my new targets and fired three rounds off-hand, about two seconds apart, from the eighty-three yard line.

    New Sight, New Target-dsc04852.jpg

    I'll get the bench rest out soon and see if the sight needs dialed any more precisely. So far, I'm very pleased with the set-up.

    The forward-mounted red dot presents some holster issues for me to resolve, which shouldn't pose a problem. I can modify the one I already made for it. It needs to ride higher on the belt line than my other RMR-equipped guns, which have rear-mounted sights.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

    "Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

  2. #2
    Sponsor
    Array AzQkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the Superstitions
    Posts
    19,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I've had some ongoing problems with my S&W red dot sight on my Performance Center 45 Shield, and wound up replacing it with a Shield RMSc 4 mil dot, which arrived today. The S&W sight issue will be a topic for another thread.

    I installed the RMSc after some mounting screw issues (the sight comes with metric screws, while the slide was tapped for 6/32". A trip to the local Fastenal store resolved that problem. A quick co-witness determined that the dot was close, straight out of the box, as did a round on the steel plate at forty yards.

    I measured out an eighty-three yard shot the other day. Here are a couple pics:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04849.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	300472

    A bit of zoom:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04850.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	300474

    I put up one of my new targets and fired three rounds off-hand, about two seconds apart, from the eighty-three yard line.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04852.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	300476

    I'll get the bench rest out soon and see if the sight needs dialed any more precisely. So far, I'm very pleased with the set-up.

    The forward-mounted red dot presents some holster issues for me to resolve, which shouldn't pose a problem. I can modify the one I already made for it. It needs to ride higher on the belt line than my other RMR-equipped guns, which have rear-mounted sights.
    Mike, if you would be so kind, please measure the milk bottle dimensions inside the target for us? Width and height please. Wondering what that area presents and how closely it matches my steel plates.

    Hits look very acceptable at that distance, nice set up and first shots taken at that distance.
    Mike1956 and hogdaddy like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

    Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

  3. #3
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    32,580
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Mike, if you would be so kind, please measure the milk bottle dimensions inside the target for us? Width and height please. Wondering what that area presents and how closely it matches my steel plates.

    Hits look very acceptable at that distance, nice set up and first shots taken at that distance.
    Thanks. it is 12" wide across the wide part and 26" tall.
    AzQkr likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

    "Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Sponsor
    Array AzQkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In the Superstitions
    Posts
    19,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Thanks. it is 12" wide across the wide part and 26" tall.

    Thanks, I measured my steel plates. They are 12" wide by 18" long. So, any hit on my plate is well within that targets "sweet spot" dimensions you're shooting. If it dings on my plate, it's a solid COM hit.

    Last edited by AzQkr; August 17th, 2019 at 12:22 PM.
    Mike1956, TSKnight and hogdaddy like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

    Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SW MN
    Posts
    1,359
    Nice shooting Mike!
    Do you have any reservations about the S&W sight due to the problems you've had?

    Have to say I'm a believer in RDS pistol sights. Haven't pushed mine past 50 yards, but the accuracy is remarkable.
    With just a little extra time I have made head shots on woodchuck with the G17 that I wouldn't have even attempted with open sights.
    I'm still working on the speed of picking up the dot, but that will come with practice. I am noticeably faster with open sights.
    For defensive use inside 10 yards, I don't normally use the sights anyway.
    AzQkr and hogdaddy like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

  7. #6
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    32,580
    Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    Nice shooting Mike!
    Do you have any reservations about the S&W sight due to the problems you've had?

    Have to say I'm a believer in RDS pistol sights. Haven't pushed mine past 50 yards, but the accuracy is remarkable.
    With just a little extra time I have made head shots on woodchuck with the G17 that I wouldn't have even attempted with open sights.
    I'm still working on the speed of picking up the dot, but that will come with practice. I am noticeably faster with open sights.
    For defensive use inside 10 yards, I don't normally use the sights anyway.
    Smith and Wesson claims that the red dot coming with the Performance Center Shields is of its own manufacture. Appearance-wise, it is identical to the SMS: https://www.shieldpsd.com/portfolio-...eld-mini-sight

    My problem with the one my gun came equipped with was immediately apparent--the elevation adjustment did not work, period. I contacted S&W immediately and shipped it back to them for replacement, as they instructed. Apparently, someone with the United States Post Office felt they needed a non-functioning red dot. About three months after I did a trace with the USPS, they notified me that they had given up. Even with the sight missing in the mail, S&W assured me they would replace it for me at no charge. A month or so ago, they still didn't have replacement sights in stock, but would be sending me the first one they got. I don't doubt that I will eventually get the replacement sight. I think I just had the misfortune to get a bad one. I've had the same thing happen with other red dots.

    My single unhappy experience with the S&W sight aside, I do have some reservations about it. They claim they make it themselves, yet provide no technical data, either with the sight or from customer service. No model number, no replacement price or info. Just the fact that it is an eight mil red dot. Everything about it, from its appearance to its adjustment gear screams Shield Mini-Sight.

    The RMSc is a more nicely-featured sight, but it is also a hundred bucks more than the SMS. Better, IMO if S&W had simply milled the slide and let the customer select the red dot

    Your Glock 17 with a red dot will go well past 50 yards for you. It's just a matter of working your way back and getting the hang of sight picture at various distances.
    AzQkr, hogdaddy and TSKnight like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

    "Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SW MN
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Smith and Wesson claims that the red dot coming with the Performance Center Shields is of its own manufacture. Appearance-wise, it is identical to the SMS: https://www.shieldpsd.com/portfolio-...eld-mini-sight

    My problem with the one my gun came equipped with was immediately apparent--the elevation adjustment did not work, period. I contacted S&W immediately and shipped it back to them for replacement, as they instructed. Apparently, someone with the United States Post Office felt they needed a non-functioning red dot. About three months after I did a trace with the USPS, they notified me that they had given up. Even with the sight missing in the mail, S&W assured me they would replace it for me at no charge. A month or so ago, they still didn't have replacement sights in stock, but would be sending me the first one they got. I don't doubt that I will eventually get the replacement sight. I think I just had the misfortune to get a bad one. I've had the same thing happen with other red dots.

    My single unhappy experience with the S&W sight aside, I do have some reservations about it. They claim they make it themselves, yet provide no technical data, either with the sight or from customer service. No model number, no replacement price or info. Just the fact that it is an eight mil red dot. Everything about it, from its appearance to its adjustment gear screams Shield Mini-Sight.

    The RMSc is a more nicely-featured sight, but it is also a hundred bucks more than the SMS. Better, IMO if S&W had simply milled the slide and let the customer select the red dot

    Your Glock 17 with a red dot will go well past 50 yards for you. It's just a matter of working your way back and getting the hang of sight picture at various distances.
    Thanks Mike.

    Extending my distance is one reason I chose the Holosun 507c with 2MOA dot and 65MOA ring to afford a little more precision if needed.
    I like the look of the Shield Mini and the fact I would not need to change my front sight. Will definitely consider it when I decide to do my G19.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

  9. #8
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    32,580
    Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    Thanks Mike.

    Extending my distance is one reason I chose the Holosun 507c with 2MOA dot and 65MOA ring to afford a little more precision if needed.
    I like the look of the Shield Mini and the fact I would not need to change my front sight. Will definitely consider it when I decide to do my G19.
    I need to work with the RMSc Shield some more before I declare it an unequivocal keeper, but so far, I'm liking it very much.
    TSKnight likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

    "Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •