Would you loan your pistols/handguns to others?

This is a discussion on Would you loan your pistols/handguns to others? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I can see hunting rifles, but pistols/handguns? Why? A friend asked me if I could lend him one of my pistol. I asked why and ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Would you loan your pistols/handguns to others?

I can see hunting rifles, but pistols/handguns? Why? A friend asked me if I could lend him one of my pistol. I asked why and he said, "for self defense..." I said no. Told him to go buy himself one. Sounded to me like he wanted to borrow one for self defense forever.
    Texas Red, sgb, G26Raven and 2 others like this.

Only if we were in a shootout with BGs.
    ETXhiker, MMinSC, since9 and 4 others like this.

Didn't we just discuss this? Answers ranged from yes to no to it depends.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

"for self defense..." no.
    "to shoot a USPSA match" sure buddy.
    It depends.
    airslot, OldChap and ETXhiker like this.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    I don't understand the question...how do I "borrow" something to someone else?
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Illegal in Oregon.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Friends don't "borrow" guns.
    KILTED COWBOY and G26Raven like this.

Two grown sons, 9 grandchildren, 4 great-grandchildren and another on the way. I have more than enough trouble keeping my guns locked up in my safes. The word "borrow" has taken on a new meaning in my mind, no longer reflecting a temporary period of time.

When the time is right (for me) I make gifts. Other than that the kids can argue all they want about who gets what when old "grampa" is gone.
    airslot, OldChap and montejames like this.

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    I don't load anything to anyone anymore.

I loaned my small generator to a co worker to use on an Elk hunting trip. It took months to get it back and he returned it broken.
    I loaned my tent, EZ UP awning, sleeping bags, and Coleman stove & lantern to a friend to use for a weekend at the lake. Everything was abandoned and left behind when a thunderstorm blew in. He never replaced them.
    I loaned my travel trailer to a friend for a weekend so he could take his two kids on an RV camp out on their special weekend when he had custody from his recent divorce. When he returned it the electrical cable to the truck receiver had been severed and fixed with duct tape and the antenna was ruined. He never said anything about the damage or offered to pay for it.
    I loaned my acoustic guitar to a friend and when I got it back there was a big gouge across the top near the sound hole. When I brought it to his attention he said it was there when I loaned it to him and denied damaging the guitar. What an azz.

Yes, I used to loan things to people but not anymore. I learned my lesson People don't take care of things that they don't have a personal investment in. And I would never.....NEVER....loan a firearm to anyone for any reason. Call me grumpy but who cares. You want something you don't have? Get a job, save your money, and buy it like I did.
    Now, get off my lawn!
    :)

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Depends on the person. My dad? Yes, just about anyone else? Probably not.

If I ever did, I'd probably have the person sign a bill of sale stating they "purchased" it from me and I'd make them give me $10. That way if it was ever used for ANY reason and the cops came knocking..... Nope that isn't my gun, see here they purchased it from me.
    AnthonyC likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Friends don't "borrow" guns.
    BULL
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    BULL
    Your friends maybe.

Yep! Nope!
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post
    ...Yes, I used to loan things to people but not anymore. I learned my lesson People don't take care of things that they don't have a personal investment in...
    Personal responsibility has been lost from our society.
    So has civic responsibility, and moral responsibility as well.

It's been at least three generations since parents taught responsible behavior and responsibility to their children.
    It's gonna take four or more to get 'em back...if we start right now, which we won't.

(Golly...I'm beginning to sound like a curmudgeon! Maybe I should start a Christmas-card list.)
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

If someone who I trusted and knew was a competent shooter then I’d have no problem letting someone borrow a gun if they just wanted to go to the range to try it out to see how they liked it or something like that. If they wanted to borrow it to carry it, absolutely not. If I didn’t have confidence in their ability to use it safely, absolutely not.
    Nifty and M1911A1 like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links