Do you have an ammunition buying strategy? - Page 3

Do you have an ammunition buying strategy?

This is a discussion on Do you have an ammunition buying strategy? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lets just say that my UPS driver hates me. As for magazines & speed loaders, I have 10+ for each weapon which I keep loaded ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Do you have an ammunition buying strategy?

Lets just say that my UPS driver hates me. As for magazines & speed loaders, I have 10+ for each weapon which I keep loaded at all times in their respective range bags. I hate to waste range time reloading magazines & speed loaders.
    airslot likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

I'm rethinking my ammo strategy after my wife complained our floors are sinking. Well, not really. They can sink a little more.
    airslot, CWOUSCG and BamaT like this.

I'm at an acceptable level for my fire arms for the most part but I always keep an eye open for a good deal, especially on something that historically can be hard to find for long periods of time. Midway USA has been offering free shipping over $49.99 for a short period every month so I keep my eye on that too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I solved my ammo shortage possibilities decades ago. I've stockpiled tens of thousands in most major calibers I shoot. If I never buy another round of ammo, I'll die with stores of ammo that will got to the brother/nephews.

Last checked: Somewhere in the neighborhood of 130K rounds of ammo, divided between several calibers I use./ When I started the shop in 09, I had 60K in 9mm alone. There is NO panic n matter whether ammo is available in the future or not at my place.
    Holy cow! Hope your place never catches fire. The fire department will never know what hit them

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Holy cow! Hope your place never catches fire. The fire department will never know what hit them
    Me too, lol
    airslot likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I reload all of my 38 special and 357 magnum target loads and have started loading 45 acp.

I'm thinking of consolidating my guns. I'm thinking I'll keep all my 38 special, 357 magnum, 44 special, and 45 acp guns and sell all my 380 acp, 9mm, and 40 S&W guns.

I'll use some of the money to fund buying a buttload of powders, bullets, and primers and not even worry about ever buying factory ammo again.

My wife is all for it. She thinks I have way to many guns and she's all about saving money.

I can do everything I need with some snubbies, 3&4" revolvers and 4 different 45 acp semiautomatics.
    airslot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I still have .357 magnum ammunition that I stockpiled for my S&W revolver the first time Bill Clinton won the election in 1992. I switched to a Glock G20 10mm right after that.
    I'll buy some off you. Do you know how hard it is to find that stuff these days?

Send bachelors and come heavily armed.

Black Rifles Matter

When times are good I like to buy several rounds for every one I shoot. When times are bad, I tend to shoot only what I can replenish cost effectively. So my stock really only grows.
    When prices are high, I reload the common stuff. When they're low, I only reload the rare and expensive ammo.

No set strategy, I buy different things periodically regardless of whether I really need it at the moment. Maybe 9mm one time, next some 7.62x54R, then revolver brass next, couple bricks of .22LR, maybe a box of primers, and so on, based on price and availability of what I want.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Ammo isn’t an issue for the fire department. The financial loss of that much ammo would really suck though.
    airslot likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Yep...I buy it by the 8lb jug of powder and flat of primers.

However, I do buy some bulk 9mm.
    airslot likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Buy it cheap, stack it deep.
    Havok and Kenny53 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Is buying more than I shoot a strategy? Or just a good idea?
    Havok likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    Is buying more than I shoot a strategy? Or just a good idea?
    Yes
    Havok likes this.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    I buy when there are sales. Best time of the year is right after Christmas. I'll get specialty stuff through out the year on sale (if you want Underwood ammo, just wait for a holiday weekend), or if I read about it and want a box to try out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links