Do you have an ammunition buying strategy? - Page 4

Do you have an ammunition buying strategy?

This is a discussion on Do you have an ammunition buying strategy? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday at Wally World, 10 boxes Federal 9mm in brass for $85 tax and all. I worked all the online sites first, couldn’t touch this ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Do you have an ammunition buying strategy?

Yesterday at Wally World, 10 boxes Federal 9mm in brass for $85 tax and all. I worked all the online sites first, couldn’t touch this deal, free shipping or not. Last time I went with SGammo, 1,000 rounds and no better a deal than yesterday.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

[QUOTE=Cypher;7773364]Before I even begin my post fair warning I overthink everything and I'm sure I over thought this too.

Figure out which ammo your gun likes, min. problems
    Of these, search how clean the ammo is = less cleaning down time ... time = money
    When you begin to run out, search AmmoSeek.com and use their filters ... I prefer not to display high shipping cost venders
    Buy 1000 rounds = free shipping sometimes

My strategy has always been
    1. buy on sale (cheap)
    2. use/ shoot
    3. repeat the above described process
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I used to. Starting in 1994, when became of age to puchase my own fire arms and ammo. Clinton banned "assault weapons" that year and I was convinced the end of legal civilian firearms ownership was just around the corner, and gun owners needed to get ready. Instead the political pendulum continued it's swing, and the assault weapons ban went away, concealed carry, then open carry and constitutional carry began to sweep the country. Then Obama became president and "the end was nigh" again, Only thing that happened gun wise was the sale of a bunch of guns and ammo. Then we elected Trump and had majorities in the house and senate. It was going to be the "day of the gun" again. Well that aint worked out.

These days I buy ammo for calibers I shoot most when ever I come across a good deal, so I don't have to buy ammo every time I want to shoot, and so I can still shoot with out having to buy more when we have "panic buying" depending on the nature of the news and political cycle. I don't buy ammo or guns anymore because I'm prepping for end of days. Maybe I'm just getting older and tired and would just rather ride my motorcycle than worry coming collapse of American society.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

My ammo buying strategy is to not immediately faint or hyperventilate and make a scene when I look at the price tag.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Holy cow! Hope your place never catches fire. The fire department will never know what hit them
    He lives in Arizona; it feels like it's always on fire there.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

My method is strictly calculated. Buy as much as I can afford every time Im near it. The wife is not a fan of my plan.......

Ordered another set of dies and some components last night!
    Risasi likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    I don't have an ammunition buying strategy.....I have a component buying strategy which is slightly more flexible.

This takes care of the ammunition buying requirement......

Someday my workbench might be that tidy and well-organized.

(Yes, kidding.)
    Whitehatco., Chuck R. and Havok like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

My youngest is going to school at Mizzou which is a couple of exits from Midwayusa. While I was visiting last weekend I picked up 3k primers. No shipping fee or hazmat fee.
    Any time I am driving up there or he is driving down here I expect the will be an order to be picked up.
    Cypher and Havok like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by DZUS View Post
    Someday my workbench might be that tidy and well-organized.

(Yes, kidding.)
    I've got one huge advantage when it comes to keeping it neat...the bench's sole purpose is reloading and more importantly it sits in a "safe room" behind a vault door that other household members think is a PITA to open...

My real workbench that sits in the garage with easy access is a whole different story.......
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    My youngest is going to school at Mizzou which is a couple of exits from Midwayusa. While I was visiting last weekend I picked up 3k primers. No shipping fee or hazmat fee.
    Any time I am driving up there or he is driving down here I expect the will be an order to be picked up.

Do you bust all the packages open and mix everything up so you can still get their shipping experience though?
    We get the government we deserve.

I see a couple of others use the same method I have been using for years,, " buy it cheap and stack it deep." I noticed my 45 acp has dropped under a 1000 rounds. I will need to fix that. Any more I just need to pick up a couple of boxes of what ever caliber I need and I am set for the rest of my life.

VIP Member
    My strategy: When I get 3,000 rounds of 230 grain .45 ACP delivered, carry it downstairs 1,000 rounds at a time, because I can't carry it down all at once.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links