Ban/"Buyback"/Confiscation: What are the strategies? - Page 2

Ban/"Buyback"/Confiscation: What are the strategies?

This is a discussion on Ban/"Buyback"/Confiscation: What are the strategies? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by jmf552 OK, I get that, but my question remains: What is the point of even having the stuff? Whether you keep it ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Ban/"Buyback"/Confiscation: What are the strategies?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    OK, I get that, but my question remains: What is the point of even having the stuff? Whether you keep it or sell it and take a profit, you are taking a risk of getting busted. Why would I want to save money on something I can't use, or take a profit by selling something the buyer can't legally use?
    I bought my Daniel Defense as a big "Bleep" You to the gun banners. I also purchased 2k rounds of 5.56 online as a pile on. My money, my choice.

Besides, if they ban my weapon, I'll have standing to sue under the 2A.

In the mean time, I'll have fun shooting it.

Finally, if I worried about the future legality of guns, I could convince myself into getting rid of all of them. No thanks...
    MMinSC, Holmes375, OldVet and 5 others like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Camilla Harris just announced she wants to ban the importation of AR-15 rifles. I think that will do the trick.
    And I had my heart set on one of those Romanian models.
    MMinSC, airslot, Nmuskier and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    And I had my heart set on one of those Romanian models.
    Goodbye WASR-15
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Camilla Harris just announced she wants to ban the importation of AR-15 rifles. I think that will do the trick.
    Importation by who - Mexico?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ban/"Buyback"/Confiscation: What are the strategies?-bugs-bunny-maroon.jpg  

MMinSC, M1911A1, airslot and 2 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Work and primary residence North Central CT
    I have been looking at the "Others" that have come out recently. Interesting legal work around for many states like CT.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Doesn't mean they will always be. many guns, including the ones used by our military are made by foreign companies, even if they are currently producing firearms in US based plants. You think she will only ban importation of AR15 clones, and not go after other guns as well?
    I guess my sarcasm doesn't always shine through.
    Struckat, TimBob, Havok and 3 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

VIP Member
    OK, I get that, but my question remains: What is the point of even having the stuff? Whether you keep it or sell it and take a profit, you are taking a risk of getting busted. Why would I want to save money on something I can't use, or take a profit by selling something the buyer can't legally use?
    Crime pays, or people wouldn't commit it.
    baren and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    Just put them away. Sooner or later, this civil war will go hot. When it does, the treasonous left will experience the true purpose of the 2nd.
    Exactly, if and when SHTF in whatever form, and society breaks down, you will be damn glad you have that stash of banned guns
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Fortunately most are made right here in the U.S. so a ban of imports would have little affect on the supply.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Many people ask, "We do you have so many guns" or "Why do you need that gun" or "Why do you need an AR-15". My answer is quite simple to such questions.

It's not a question of "need". It's a question of "want". Why do you need so many spoons and forks? Why do you need silverware when stainless steel is just as good? Why do you need so many cameras? Why do you need that camera?

Gets them thinking about how they're going to answer these questions. Again, it's not a question of need... it's a question of want.
    ddrew, Bikenut and gatorbait51 like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    Many people ask, "We do you have so many guns" or "Why do you need that gun" or "Why do you need an AR-15". My answer is quite simple to such questions.

It's not a question of "need". It's a question of "want". Why do you need so many spoons and forks? Why do you need silverware when stainless steel is just as good? Why do you need so many cameras? Why do you need that camera?

Gets them thinking about how they're going to answer these questions. Again, it's not a question of need... it's a question of want.
    If it's a woman asking the question, respond by asking her why she needs thirty pairs of shoes, and 20 purses

I have read a lot of posts about what people plan to do if there is some ban/"buyback"/confiscation, of anything gun related: "Assault weapons," hi-cap mags, etc. I have read people saying they will buy up all they can (or already doing so) before that happens. Here's what I honestly don't get: To what end?

I keep wondering if I should start binge-buying, but then I think, "If I buy a bunch of stuff that becomes illegal, what do I do with it and what would it be good for?" So I would have to hide it somewhere, which I guess I could do, but then it wouldn't be any good to me. What would I be keeping it for? I couldn't use it for SD and I couldn't train with it. It would probably be a risk to take it out just to look at it. It would seem to me to make more sense to buy guns and accessories I could use after some law is passed.

So I am not asking anyone to "out" themselves on what their individual plans are, but just hypothetically, what good is it to buy up stuff that might be made illegal and then not be able to use it? What am I missing?
    Beto can scream buybacks, bans, and confiscation all he wants. But he's a fool who only shows how little he knows how the system works. A ban IS something he could do as president through an executive order but it would almost certainly be challenged and illegal. A buyback*, which is a fictitious term, would have to be a bill passed by congress since it involves funding... a lot of it.

And then there is confiscation. Who does he think is going to do this? Can't be the military, because of that pesky thing called Posse Comitatus. He can't order state and local police to do this, and most may not want to anyway since many live in communitees where they're known which could make things a might testy. So who is going to carry out such an order? And even if something like this started, it would have to be on a massive scale and I would bet many attempts would be met with some serious resistance.

Like I said, he's a fool and would be courting a batch of unintended consequences with something like mass confiscation.

* So-called "buybacks" are always voluntary, but Beto would want them to be mandatory. And they are certainly not "buybacks" because the government never sold them to the people in the first place.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by ddrew View Post
    If it's a woman asking the question, respond by asking her why she needs thirty pairs of shoes, and 20 purses
    This is true. You should see all the shoes my wife has.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by MB53 View Post
    Beta says tonight that he absolutely wants to confiscate AR15s and AK47s from Americans and prohibit ownership of them. With that statement he probably just locked in his future of never achieving higher office...at least in my lifetime.
    He knows he can't win. What he is doing is setting the bar for the other candidates. This is a position that will attract a lot of liberal voters, and if he gets it out there, and proves popular with voters, it will force other candidates to adopt a similar position. Never mind the fact that these type of guns have only been used in a small percentage of the mass shootings, they are the ones that attract the attention.
    By now our forefathers would be shooting.

Life is too important to take seriously.

Lansing Muzzle Loading Gun Club
    visit us at: http://www.lansingmuzzleloadinggunclub.com/

Just heard Booker talking about "back in the 80s, we wanted to get machine guns off the streets, so we banned them." Or words to that effect.

I hate when these people are either outright lying, or just totally ignorant about that which they're discussing. We have as many legally owned machine guns today as in 1985 (minus any that got damaged through use) - we just haven't gotten any more than that. And any that didn't get registered, well, I'd bet they're still hiding in a closet or attic somewhere.
    ETXhiker, baren and gatorbait51 like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links