1911 mags

1911 mags

This is a discussion on 1911 mags within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Silly question but Iím thinking about getting a commander model 1911 45, will my full size government model mags fit the commander frame flush? Havenít ...

Like Tree32Likes
  • 6 Post By G-man*
  • 3 Post By AndyC
  • 5 Post By G-man*
  • 7 Post By gasmitty
  • 5 Post By QKShooter
  • 3 Post By G-man*
  • 3 Post By OD*

Thread: 1911 mags

1911 mags

Silly question but Iím thinking about getting a commander model 1911 45, will my full size government model mags fit the commander frame flush? Havenít narrowed down which commander I want, just curious if Iíll have to buy all new mags for it or if my mecgar and colt full size 7 round mags will fit?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Silly question but Iím thinking about getting a commander model 1911 45, will my full size government model mags fit the commander frame flush? Havenít narrowed down which commander I want, just curious if Iíll have to buy all new mags for it or if my mecgar and colt full size 7 round mags will fit?
    Yes they will work. But you are not really accomplishing anything unless you get a LW Commander.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yes they will work. But you are not really accomplishing anything unless you get a LW Commander.
    Iíve been taking looks at the ruger and Remington lightweight models. Grip and all is the same, just the uppers is shorter correct?
    OD*, QKShooter and Cuda66 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Iíve been taking looks at the ruger and Remington lightweight models. Grip and all is the same, just the uppers is shorter correct?
    If itís a true Commander. Other makers may make their own variations in to their 1911 copies, but as long as it is a true copy of the Colt Commander, then the Gov Model mags will be a perfect fit.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Senior Moderator
    Correct - "Commander" length is 4" to 4-1/4" barrel with appropriately shortened slide & dust cover.

Both the full-size and Commander-length guns use the same magazines.
    msgt/ret, OD*, G-man* and 4 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Administrator

Thumbs up

You should also buy at least one high quality extended magazine which will (of course) not fit flush at all but, the extra available rounds could prove very useful in some scenarios.

A 10 round CobraMag from Tripp Research makes for a great extra/spare magazine.

SUPER high quality but not cheap. (about $40.00) & worth every penny.

I made my own leather belt pouch for one.

Tripp Research makes some of the highest quality 1911 mags on the planet.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

If itís a true Commander. Other makers may make their own variations in to their 1911 copies, but as long as it is a true copy of the Colt Commander, then the Gov Model mags will be a perfect fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Correct - "Commander" length is 4" to 4-1/4" barrel with appropriately shortened slide & dust cover.

Both the full-size and Commander-length guns use the same magazines.
    Prolly what Iíll do to be certain is before buying Iíll bring my full size mags and some snap caps and do a little function testing, just thought of that. Atleast Iíll have somewhat of an idea

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You should also buy at least one high quality extended magazine which will (of course) not fit flush at all but, the extra available rounds could prove very useful in some scenarios.

Iíll have to look into those. Iíve been using factory colt and mec-gar for my gov models. Just standard capacity thus far.

Iíll have to look into those. Iíve been using factory colt and mec-gar for my gov models. Just standard capacity thus far.
    Colt doesnít make their own magazines. They are made by whoever they are contracting to at the time. At this time, I think @OD* told me that Metalform was making Colts mags. I just bought some and so far they seem to work very well.

Wilson 47ís are also very good quality.
    OD*, Bad Bob and Old Man like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Colt doesnít make their own magazines. They are made by whoever they are contracting to at the time. At this time, I think @OD* told me that Metalform was making Colts mags. I just bought some and so far they seem to work very well.

Check-Mate has been making them for Colt the last several years, at least my last few Colt's came with them. It's quite possible Colt is purchasing from both companies currently. The last Colt I bought that came with Metalform's was a 2005 GM.
    G-man*, Bad Bob and Old Man like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Whatís some good sources for the best prices for Tripp research mags? Never used any of them before

And some good sources for best prices for the 47ís? I like to use eBay, but Iím also Leary of fakes

Sponsored Links